Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Finder damage

Finder damage
wlonh
Professional Poster
May 24, 2000, 01:02 AM

ok, so i open a COPY of the Finder in ResEdit because i want to make some minor changes...

while in ResEdit and immediately upon issuing the command to open the copy of the Finder i get a message that there was some 'damage' to the Finder file (i think it even said it was 'slight') and did i want to 'fix' it... i said why not and it 'fixed' it...

i did my modification (no problem there) to the Finder and swapped Finders, and there have been zero problems so far and i don't expect any

but does anyone have an idea what was up with that 'slight damage'? and has anyone had similar experience(s)?

is it a good idea to let ResEdit have a gander at the Finder every now and then?

Idler
May 24, 2000, 02:13 AM

Yes, I am running OS 9 and ResEdit does report that the Finder is a bit damaged as well. Other than that, it is normal.

Cipher13
May 24, 2000, 03:42 AM

What vers of ResEdit you using? ResEdit finding damage with the Finder is no surprise - ResEdit hasn't been updated for quite a while and its trying to read one of the latest files available. Personally, I wouldn't let ResEdit 'fix' any problems it finds with such a recently made file, if you get what I'm saying...

Cipher13

Misha
Professional Poster
May 24, 2000, 07:51 AM

I second what Cipher said.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2000, 08:51 AM

yes i had thought of that of course... i know resedit is not exactly updated regularly...

no troubles at all since that resedit episode, and i have put the Mac through the paces...

my dumb luck, no doubt, which i have truckloads of it seems oh, and i have the 'original and unmodified' Finder still

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 05-24-2000).]

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2000, 04:37 PM

On a similar note: I opened the "Login" file for Multiple Users with ResEdit 2.1.3. I got a message along the lines of, "This file had slight damage but is now OK." I had previously been having MANY MANY problems with that application, but since then I have had none.
and play the game existence to the end

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2000, 04:40 PM

well there ya go and yeah i was using 2.1.3 version too

Cipher13
May 25, 2000, 12:18 AM

I'm using Super ResEdit 2.1.3 - is that the latest or best available? I know ResEdit 3.0 is out, but it was designed for Copland was it not?

Cipher13

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
May 25, 2000, 01:21 AM

far as i know only publicly available version is 2.1.3

you might have heard of Resourcerer? it is supposed to be much better than ResEdit and is newer but it's not cheap

Cipher13
May 25, 2000, 05:45 AM

I've used Resourcer before and personally I don't like it very much - bad interface mainly. I can't really put my finger on it, but it is slow and uncomfortable to use - I deleted it right after using it the first time.

Cipher13

Idler
May 25, 2000, 07:49 PM

Yes, Resorcerer is not great to use at all. ResEdit 2.1.3 still seem to be quite adequate for most jobs. Anyone found what features in ResEdit 2.1.3 that need to be update for the current software?

---------------------
Visit my site on Mac and Windows programming: http://members.xoom.com/comosaw/
------------------------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules