Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > USB Audio using PCI USB

USB Audio using PCI USB
Crazy K
May 17, 2000, 02:14 PM

Are there any limitations for audio via USB on a PCI Mac with an add-on PCI USB card? Any feedback will be appreciated.

------------------
Life is an intelligence test...Don't Fail.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 17, 2000, 02:21 PM

there's a forum member 'iPaulUK' who has posted extensively on audio matters and he may have covered the subject of your interest... do a search of all the forums for his posts (search by username iPaulUK in conjunction with whatever other criteria you think appropriate)

Crazy K
May 17, 2000, 02:45 PM

Thanks

------------------

Crazy K
May 22, 2000, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by wlonh:
there's a forum member 'iPaulUK' who has posted extensively on audio matters and he may have covered the subject of your interest... do a search of all the forums for his posts (search by username iPaulUK in conjunction with whatever other criteria you think appropriate)
I checked out the search for iPaulUK and he had a lot to say about audio, but not about USB (ie digital) audio specifically. Thanks for the help.

------------------

MacOS761
Senior User
May 24, 2000, 11:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that Mac OS 9 is the only OS with any support for USB audio. Harmon-Kardon's iSub supposedly only works with iMacs, so I don't know what that means. Most USB sound devices were built with the iBook in mind (since it has no sound in jack). I think the main limitation would be your cpu's ability to crunch through Mac OS 9 and the driver for the device.
BTW, has anybody tried an iSub with a non-iMac?
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

park74
May 25, 2000, 03:46 PM

I have also read that sometimes when working with time based media such as audio and video through a PCI USB card that you can have problems if the clock on the USB card loses sync with the system clock. I believe I saw something about this in one of the readmnes with the Apple USB software.

Crazy K
May 25, 2000, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Everything I have read so far says the same thing, but nothing explicitly says that USB audio IS NOT supported using a PCI Mac with a add-on PCI USB card. Guess I may have to bite the bullet and just try for myself.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules