Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger - Apple saves money on real life testing

Tiger - Apple saves money on real life testing
maggie11_6
Baninated
Jun 18, 2005, 02:01 AM

Did it ever cross your minds that Apple could not have tested Tiger before release? One would think Apple would have performed real life upgrades and clean installs before product release. I would have also assumed they would have tested the OS against common applications most used by Apple users.

Had Apple really tested their OS Tiger before release, I believe most of these common issues would not be a discussion in Apple forums and Blogs across the web. In my opinion Apple never spent the time or money testing their product for their consumer base. Pather was an issue when it was released – Remember? Tiger is even worse in my opinion... What does 10.5 offer us?

Imagine This! - Your everyday mom and pop updating to the new OS Tiger… Should be seamless right? Should they experience the common issues surrounding Tiger – they either end up with a seriously buggy unusable computer or forced to spend $$ at a local Apple store to solve these issues. Not very user friendly and not good PR!

I used to wonder why Apple does not advertise their OS like M$, but in this case I am happy they don't! Can you imagine a PC user switching to Mac experiencing Tiger's install! Back to PC they would go!

What a waste! I have considered sending my 5 License copy of Tiger back to Apple demanding my money back with an additional note: Send me Tiger when you get it right.

As an IT I have wasted too much time on issues. I can't believe Apple makes encourages us to Upgrade to the new OS without testing against real life senarios. I feel as if we are going back to the days of OS 9 (patch patch patch, oops oops oops, crash crash crash)

Tony Arnold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2005, 02:16 AM

What in the name of great googlymoogly are you talking about? What specifically hasn't been tested? I can't say the upgrade to 10.4 was perfectly smooth for me, but your post seems like a flamebait without any specifics to back it up. Ask about problems you're having - maybe someone here will have the solution for you.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2005, 02:20 AM

1) Your sig is too large. Please change it to conform to rules.

2) you don't know what you are talking about. Apple has a developer and testing section. And the NDA prevents most people from common blogging about specifics.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 02:41 AM

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 04:01 AM

you can help if you want

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 05:35 AM

My move to Tiger was super smooth... what problems are you talking about? I mean sure VLC crashed a few times but that's about it...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by maggie11_6
Did it ever cross your minds that Apple could not have tested Tiger before release?
It is true that Apple's QA has been somewhat lacking ever since the release of OSX 10.0 (anyone else remember the iTunes installer debacle?) However, to say that they do no testing at all is patently false. If they did no testing at all, it would have been much worse than even the most anti-Tiger people are claiming now.
One would think Apple would have performed real life upgrades and clean installs before product release.
They did. I've done both with no problems.
I would have also assumed they would have tested the OS against common applications most used by Apple users.
They did. However, sometimes problems are the fault of the app, not the OS.
Had Apple really tested their OS Tiger before release, I believe most of these common issues would not be a discussion in Apple forums and Blogs across the web.
Keep in mind that most Apple forums exist for support purposes; people go there when they have problems. There really isn't much out there in the way of sites out there for people to go and discuss what a great time they're having with their Macs. Your logic is flawed, because you're not taking a representative sample of the Tiger-using community at large. You cannot take such a sample, in fact, as long as you restrict yourself to the Internet alone. This doesn't mean the Internet isn't a valuable tool, but if you want to do real statistical research then it can't be your only tool.
In my opinion Apple never spent the time or money testing their product for their consumer base.
Patently wrong. I don't think Apple has a lot of respect for software QA, but they don't have so little respect as to ignore QA completely.
Imagine This! - Your everyday mom and pop updating to the new OS Tiger… Should be seamless right?
Yes, and for the majority of people that's exactly what it is.

It is said that there are some three million Tiger users right now. 30,000 of these people would have to experience problems before even one percent of the Tiger base would be affected. Assuming you were to actually read the articles to be certain that you were getting distinct reports, I have my doubts that you could find even 10,000 cases of issues. Is one-third of one percent truly "common"?

I sympathize with you; obviously you're one of those 10,000 who is having trouble. But what gives you the right to project your problems onto a wider audience, most of whom are not experiencing problems at all?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 08:22 AM

I am surprised with the problems with Tiger. But mostly, it does not appear to have any great features that I can't live without and it's changes since Panther breaks a lot of apps.

Considering it doesn't fully support my hardware (which itself is getting old) I can't justify it.

Sticking with Panther for now.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2005, 09:09 AM

Did it ever cross your mind that you completely plagarized your post from here?

Oh, wait don't tell me. You are "eboda from Alaska" on MacAddict and "maggie11_6 from Washington State" here, right?

A quick read of your posts here and the thread there shows quite clearly you're not.

Jeez. If you don't have something to say, then don't say anything. Copying and pasting "interesting" or "controversial" posts from other boards hoping to increase your visibility here is just...pathetic.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by saddino
Did it ever cross your mind that you completely plagarized your post from here?

Oh, wait don't tell me. You are "eboda from Alaska" on MacAddict and "maggie11_6 from Washington State" here, right?

A quick read of your posts here and the thread there shows quite clearly you're not.

Jeez. If you don't have something to say, then don't say anything. Copying and pasting "interesting" or "controversial" posts from other boards hoping to increase your visibility here is just...pathetic.
Good find.

"Another One Gets The Block"
Genius. You know who.

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 18, 2005, 12:42 PM

Spam...
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

Forum Links
Forum Rules