Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse - I'm Actually Quite Impressed...

Mighty Mouse - I'm Actually Quite Impressed...
Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 03:28 PM

I finally got around to buying the Mighty Mouse, and I'm actually very, very impressed with it. I don't seem to have a problem right-clicking with it (it seems I've always lifted my index finger when I right click without even realising I do it), and I love the scroll-ball and Exposé "squeeze" feature. From what I've read on this forum, I think I must definitely be in the minority of those who love the Mighty Mouse. However, I do think the cord is slightly on the short side, but then, that does seem to be par for the course with Apple products.

One thing does concern me though: how do I clean the scroll-ball? Inevitably, it'll get filled up with gunk from normal day-to-day usage, and I don't have a clue how I'll get round to getting it out when it becomes a problem.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 03:43 PM

I have had my wireless mighty mouse for nearly a year now and I love it. When my scroll ball gets dirty I just turn it off (or unplug it in your case) and rub the ball on a t-shirt or something similar (I've found the "eTronic" wipes I bought work very well) vigorously for a few seconds in every direction while holding the mouse upside down.

I have also found that right clicking is not an issue for me at all...

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 03:55 PM

I love the mighty mouse too, although the scrollling will sporadically stop for a few seconds.

SpencerLavery
Aug 27, 2007, 04:36 PM

I'm definitely still getting used to it. It seems a lot more sensitive to textured/uneven surfaces than any other laser mouse I've used and the click (both left and right) are still totally alien to me having used PCs for years. Big thumbs up to bluetooth though.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
I have had my wireless mighty mouse for nearly a year now and I love it. When my scroll ball gets dirty I just turn it off (or unplug it in your case) and rub the ball on a t-shirt or something similar (I've found the "eTronic" wipes I bought work very well) vigorously for a few seconds in every direction while holding the mouse upside down.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the Mighty Mouse. I was beginning to think the Reality Distortion Field had me in its grip! Thanks for the advice regarding cleaning it--I'll definitely give it a go when the ball inevitably gets dirty.

I'm also thinking about going over to wireless, once I get my Bluetooth module installed in my iMac. How long does the battery last on your mouse before it needs replacing?

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I love the mighty mouse too, although the scrollling will sporadically stop for a few seconds.
I haven't noticed that particular problem, though I have noticed that it doesn't scroll diagonally--it interprets it as either a vertical or horizontal scroll, or sometimes neither of the two and just does nothing. I'm not sure whether it's actually meant to scroll diagonally or not though...

Originally Posted by SpencerLavery View Post
I'm definitely still getting used to it. It seems a lot more sensitive to textured/uneven surfaces than any other laser mouse I've used and the click (both left and right) are still totally alien to me having used PCs for years. Big thumbs up to bluetooth though.
Having used PCs for more years than I care to remember, I was slightly worried about it too. However, I don't seem to have any problems with it--I seem to click in the required Mighty Mouse manner anyway, so there's no issue there for me. That said, however, I do think it would probably be better if it was designed with two discrete buttons rather than touch-sensitive voodoo magic; it would make it easier for those of us who don't lift their index finger prior to right clicking.

As I said previously, the Exposé "squeeze" is a stroke of genius. I haven't found myself doing it at work just yet, though I do occasionally jab F11 hoping to clear the way to my desktop. It takes a few seconds to realise that, sadly, XP doesn't do that, and that I'll have to minimise every single window I have open to get back to the desktop. I really hope Microsoft "innovate" with that particular feature in the near future.

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 09:18 PM

Yeah, I keep throwing my mouse up to my expose hot corner when I'm on a PC and I'm like "what the hell" and then I realize that Windows can't do Expose.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2007, 09:20 PM

I like the "mighty" mouse, too, and use an eraser to get the scrolling back on if it stalls.

I just disabled the double button click. Working with the healing tool in Lightroom, where you have to click and drag a lot, often gave me the unwanted orange screen/expose view.

Max_Doubt_M'Wham
Aug 28, 2007, 06:59 AM

I prefer the shape of the Mighty Mouse, its ergonomics are just right for me ... and if I can't get the scroll button to behave, then it's no drama to use the vertical scroll-bar at the side of the window.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2007, 08:13 AM

My new iMac came with the MM, so I kind of got into using it by default I'm impressed by how smoothly it works, and how easy it is to right-click (as a long-time Windows user I'm addicted to that right mouse button). Now I need enough desktop space to have room to move it around!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My new iMac came with the MM, so I kind of got into using it by default I'm impressed by how smoothly it works, and how easy it is to right-click (as a long-time Windows user I'm addicted to that right mouse button). Now I need enough desktop space to have room to move it around!
i like it (just got it), but installed steermouse; i wanted "double-clicking" with the scroll button.
not crazy about the side button thing, otherwise, better than my (older) kensington bt mouse...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

SpencerLavery
Aug 28, 2007, 04:35 PM

I've given it a good trial today, it seems perfectly fine for regular internet surfing etc, but I'm struggling a little when it comes to Photoshop, and I'm struggling massively playing games with it. Even resorted to plugging in the mouse from my old Dell for that.

I think I need a mousemat that's perfectly matched to the Mighty Mouse, as the precision seems really off compared to my old laser that worked just fine on my desk with no mat.
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Aug 29, 2007, 09:50 AM

Yeah, I keep throwing my mouse up to my expose hot corner when I'm on a PC and I'm like "what the hell" and then I realize that Windows can't do Expose.
I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering from Phantom Mac Syndrome!

I think I need a mousemat that's perfectly matched to the Mighty Mouse, as the precision seems really off compared to my old laser that worked just fine on my desk with no mat.
I'm using it on top of an old folder (because my computer isn't at a desk) and it doesn't present any accuracy/precision problems at all for me. It registers all my movements fine. I imagine it should be the same on a desk. Perhaps test it with a magazine under it, or a bit of blank paper, and see if that makes a difference? If it still plays up, it could be that the mouse itself is wonky.

SpencerLavery
Aug 31, 2007, 05:30 PM

I've tried mousemats, paper, cardboard, the lot. Perhaps it's because it's BlueTooth? It just seems jumpy and unresponsive at times.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2007, 05:31 PM

I've tried mousemats, paper, cardboard, the lot. Perhaps it's because it's BlueTooth? It just seems jumpy and unresponsive at times.
I really do hope not; as part of my upgrade process, I'm going to be putting a Bluetooth module in my G4 and getting a wireless MM and keyboard, so I hope it works as well as the wired one.

Out of interest, has anyone else been suffering the same unresponsiveness problems as SpencerLavery when using the BT Mighty Mouse?

afro_thunder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
I really do hope not; as part of my upgrade process, I'm going to be putting a Bluetooth module in my G4 and getting a wireless MM and keyboard, so I hope it works as well as the wired one.

Out of interest, has anyone else been suffering the same unresponsiveness problems as SpencerLavery when using the BT Mighty Mouse?
Not at all. I love the bluetooth MM, wired wasn't gonna cut it for me this time. Its working on all surfaces I use, dektop, pad, even glass and bedsheets.

And I keep hearing everyone say it doesn't scroll diagonally as advertised, but right in the mouse preferences you have the option of setting it to scroll vert. and hori. or 360'.

And everyone who gets a MightyMouse MUST get SteerMouse freeware. I found perfect replacement actions for the side and middle click.

And why do I feel like the only person in every forum who hasn't had problems right clicking and using the side "squeeze"?

Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2007, 10:15 PM

I have no problem with squeezing or right clicking! It's two of us!

auxlepli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 12:15 AM

This must be the first positive thread I've read about the Mighty Mouse. Anyway, I keep the scroll ball clean by making sure my hands are clean. In two years that philosophy has worked well, and I haven't cleaned the ball once.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2007, 08:07 AM

I have no problem with squeezing or right clicking! It's two of us!
Three. I have no problems whatsoever with either function, and think it's very well designed. And the Exposé "squeeze" is a stroke of genius.

Originally Posted by auxlepli View Post
This must be the first positive thread I've read about the Mighty Mouse. Anyway, I keep the scroll ball clean by making sure my hands are clean. In two years that philosophy has worked well, and I haven't cleaned the ball once.
I'm just glad that the Mighty Mouse haters (who outnumber us massively) haven't found this thread and run us all off the forum. It seems very much the accepted fashion to criticise and berate the Mighty Mouse.

As for your advice, I've been doing that so far and it seems to have worked. I expect I will have to clean it at some point, however, as I can't vouch for the cleanliness of other people's hands.

Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 03:01 PM

Every once in a while, I just rub it in all directions against my shirt. cleans it very well, there's a noticeable difference.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 12:14 PM

I used a MM only briefly while looking at a display iMac and while it was nice, it just can't replace my Intellimouse Optical. On it, I use the scroll wheel button to switch apps all the time and use the left side and right side buttons to move forward and backward on web pages and finder windows (and for switching weapons in games). I understand what Apple is trying to achieve, but their mice are just not for me. Nice design though.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2007, 05:05 AM

I used the Mighty Mouse for about a year at home. At work I have a Macbook Pro and directly got a Logitech. I never had problems with right clicking, but the general ergonomics of the mouse just plain suck. I liked the scroll ball, but it got jammed once a month so that it would only scroll in one direction (up or down). I got a can of pressurized air which solved it, but still it was annoying.

I managed to live with it even though I never liked it. Finally after a year my wife started nagging about it so much that I just replaced it with a Logictech, and I have to say there was NOTHING better about the MM.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
One thing does concern me though: how do I clean the scroll-ball? Inevitably, it'll get filled up with gunk from normal day-to-day usage, and I don't have a clue how I'll get round to getting it out when it becomes a problem.
That right there is the tough part. It will gunk-up inside, and you'll know when it happens because it will stop scrolling in a direction or two, and it will spin loose and easy when you try and scroll in those directions. The only good method I've found of cleaning it, and it's a poor one to be sure, is to rub the nub (rub that nub real good like) with alcohol- the good strong stuff that turns your fingers white where you touch it, then turn it bottom side up and blow canned air into the nubbin hole, kinda pushing it in with the straw. Not my method, a guy at the apple store showed me this trick and although it's not an ideal solution, it does seem to work.
Nemo me impune lacesset

daneel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 08:52 AM

well i havent had any pproblems with the mighty mouse that came with my alu imac for general usage, but for gaming the mm just doesnt cut it. since it only has a single button, pressing richt click and left click at the same time is not possible so in an FPS, one cannot go into the scope and shoot.

so i've had to plug in my old microsoft wireless mouse (it adds an extra wire for the wireless reciever) but i really have no choice if i want to play games.

Forum Links
Forum Rules