Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Spill! Is My MacBook a ticking time bomb?

Spill! Is My MacBook a ticking time bomb?
Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 12:55 PM

About a week ago, I noticed my computer was acting kind of funny. It seemed slower, locking up at times without the helpful rainbow spinner, some keys were harder to push, the trackpad button wobbly and less reponsive. The screw on the right side would sometimes send a pulsing shock if I grazed it with my hand.

A few days later, I talked to a friend who had been over the night before the computer started misbehaving. Apparently, when she opened a bottle of tonic that night, it exploded and some flak hit the computer. Why I wasn't told this right after is beyond me.

It seems to be working OK, though. (Not great, given the symptoms.) A repair would be $755 (before tax), which doesn't even seem worth it, though I'd rather not get a new computer immediately.

I searched the forums and found a few threads, but I guess my main questions are these:
- How safe is it to use this computer? Is it really corroding as we speak? Could it, one day in the next weeks/months, just not start up as a result of this spill?
- Anyone out there survive a spill? How much longer did the computer work?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2008, 01:12 PM

You could leave it off in a warm dry place for a week to see if it improves. Have you had any kernel panics?

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 01:15 PM

No kernel panics yet. Just a restart that failed to happen (spinning indicator for about a half hour).

It's working, just not as well. I just wonder if it's risky to continue to use it; if I'm looking at imminent data loss (though I do regularly back up my data).

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2008, 02:05 PM

Well do you know where the tonic hit it?

I would have thought the hard drive is fine, unless the MacBook has been dropped or the tonic somehow managed to find its way to the HDD.
I would think it's risky to continue using it without letting it dry out for a week, considering it is already running strangely. Is there any liquid under the battery or in that area?

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 02:18 PM

The right half of the keyboard and trackpad are sticky, so I think that's the only part that got hit. I guess the HD will probably be recoverable even if the logic board completely fails in the future, so data loss isn't the issue.

Hmm... It's just a scary idea to be working with a computer that may or may not just stop working at any time.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2008, 02:24 PM

Any computer may stop working at any time for any reason.

Luckily for you, the hard drive on the MacBook is very easy to remove, unlike the previous iBooks. The hard drive is located in the battery bay, along with the memory.

It is possible that your memory may be causing this, either because it's just faulty or because the tonic has damaged it, although I'd be expecting strange corruption and kernel panics.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 02:29 PM

If you're brave you could open the MacBook up yourself and clean it. This would certainly void your warranty, but if you be careful you should be ok. There's a good chance it could corrode enough to make it stop working in the future, but it depends on what exactly was spilled on it. Just use some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol.

Checkout out iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories for a disassembly guide.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Jan 27, 2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
If you're brave you could open the MacBook up yourself and clean it. This would certainly void your warranty, but if you be careful you should be ok. There's a good chance it could corrode enough to make it stop working in the future, but it depends on what exactly was spilled on it. Just use some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol.

Checkout out iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories for a disassembly guide.
Uh... Usually spilling liquid on your computer voids your warranty to begin with. AppleCare does not cover against exploding drinks.

bmwparamedic
Jan 27, 2008, 08:57 PM

If you manage to get it fixed I would invest in iskin.com keyboard cover. It has saved me many times.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
Uh... Usually spilling liquid on your computer voids your warranty to begin with. AppleCare does not cover against exploding drinks.
Touché.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 11:40 AM

There are a lot of threads about spills - do a search, and good luck!

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
There are a lot of threads about spills - do a search, and good luck!
I did! (And mentioned this.)

But where a person mentions their Mac turned on again, they never followed up: did it turn on again for long?

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by bmwparamedic View Post
If you manage to get it fixed I would invest in iskin.com keyboard cover. It has saved me many times.
Is it awkward? I've used computers with keyboard protectors before and it's always been like typing with a condom.

Forum Links
Forum Rules