Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cloning glitches with ASR (Apple Software Restore)

Cloning glitches with ASR (Apple Software Restore)
asxless
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 10:16 PM

I recently upgraded my PowerBook G4's hard drive. I used the Apple Software Restore (ASR) command line utility to clone the boot partition while the new HD was in a firewire case then swapped the drives. I used the Finder to transfer the data on the other partitions. Everything went very smoothly until...
I launched iPhoto 2.0 and discovered that I couldn't arrange photos anymore:( I was also surprised to see 'This is the first time you have launched XXX' warnings. So I guess ASR didn't produce a "true" clone.

I can live with the 'This is the first time you have launched XXX' warnings since they will eventually go away. But even after completely reinstalling iPhoto, deleting prefs etc. the most useful feature of iPhoto (drag and drop) still doesn't work:(

1 - Does anyone know what didn't get cloned correctly to cause iPhoto to lose the ability to rearrange photos?

2 - Are there any other cloning glitches I should look for?

FWIW drag and drop seems to work fine in all the other apps I've tried (Safari, TextEdit etc.) I also know the iPhoto library is OK since I can boot from the original drive (now in the fire wire case) and rearrange photos with no worries. OBTW root can' t rearrange photos either.

-- asxless in iLand

BTW I'm running 10.2.8 on a TiBook 500mHz.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2004, 10:50 PM

The only thing I can think of is maybe the "ByHost" preferences didn't get cloned over correctly...

asxless  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
The only thing I can think of is maybe the "ByHost" preferences didn't get cloned over correctly...
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try deleting/replacing the probable suspects
* com.apple.HIToolbox.XXX.plist
* com.apple.systemuiserver.XXX.plist
* com.apple.windowserver.XXX.plist
and hope the glitch goes away.

But.. the only "ByHost" prefs I found were in my home directory (i.e. ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost). So I doubt that this will fix the more general problem. Because even root can't rearrange photos:(

-- asxless in iLand

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2004, 05:26 AM

You're logging in as root, asx? OK, but don't let others hear about that. Is there any possibility a permission is screwed up some place? Sorry you had a problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

asxless  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
You're logging in as root, asx? OK, but don't let others hear about that. Is there any possibility a permission is screwed up some place? Sorry you had a problem.
Thanks for the sympathy but iPhoto still doesn't work correctly:(

The reason I logged in as root (briefly), was to try to avoid any "permissions issues". AFAIK root should be able to do pretty much anything without worrying about permissions. So I'm guessing the problem is a missing/corrupt file or system service that hasn't been started correctly, etc.

But maybe the issue has to do with how I used asr. FWIW I was booted from a 2nd firewire drive as an admin user when I used asr to do the cloning from the Tibook's internal drive onto the new drive in its own firewire case. Note: I was _not_ asked for my password when I typed "sudo asr -source /Volumes/xxx -target /Volumes/yyy" as indicated in the asr man pages to clone a drive. So perhaps the permissions were not transferred correctly.

Either way, my problem is determining _which_ file out of thousands to check/fix:(

-- asxless in iLand

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 08:44 AM

Out of curiosity, have you tried using Carbon Copy Cloner or NetRestore to do this and see if the problem persists?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2004, 09:45 AM

You are not, by chance, trying to rearrange photos in the Library are you? They can only be rearranged inside albums.

Chris

asxless  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
You are not, by chance, trying to rearrange photos in the Library are you? They can only be rearranged inside albums.
All drag and drop in iPhoto is busted. For example, I can't even drag a photo into an album or onto the desktop, etc. :(

Normally when you click and drag on a photo a little black 'insertion point' bar appears to one side of the selection and a transparent grey circle with the photo count appears. NONE of this happens now

FWIW iPhoto does allow rearranging photos in the main Library IF you have the library displayed by Roll (e.g. within a roll you can manually rearrange the order).

-- asxless

asxless  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Out of curiosity, have you tried using Carbon Copy Cloner or NetRestore to do this and see if the problem persists?
No I haven't. But I've now made enough changes to this clone (e.g. cleaned up & reorganized folders, updated other 3rd party software, etc.) that a new clone (even with a working iPhoto) would not be very useful.

FWIW I have frequently used ASR to clone boot volumes with complete success (until this time). In fact I usually install major OS updates on a "scratch' partition and use ASR to clone it to my main boot partition only after I confirm that all my 3rd party software works with the update.

-- asxless

asxless  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 02:34 PM

Well DUH!!!!

Based on a reply in the Apple iPhoto Support forums by "Old Toad"...if iPhoto cant't find the Helvetica font, drag and drop gets silently disabled. And sure enough, once I placed a copy of Helvetica into my home directory Library/Fonts iPhoto's drag and drop worked again:)

But now I have a bigger problem. ALL of the fonts in my Classic system folder are "invisible" to OSX since I cloned the drive using ASR:( So now I need to find out how to 'bless' the Classic fonts folder, 'cause that's where all my Type 1 fonts are kept.

FWIW I had removed the system version of Helvetica a long time ago to force OS X to use the Type 1 version in my Classic fonts folder. It's a long story, but essentially I need to preview documents that my graphic artist wife produces using the "real" Helveica;)

-- asxless

asxless  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 03:27 PM

In the end... Apple Software Restore (asr) had cloned the boot volume correctly but I needed to boot Classic and then reboot OS X in order for OS X to 'see' the fonts in the Classic System/Fonts folder.

The quirk was that the drag and drop capability of iPhoto is dependent on finding Helvetica. I my case the only copy of Helvetica I had was the Type 1 version in the Classic Fonts folder.

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions -- asxless in iLand

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2004, 04:31 PM

That's interesting. Thanks for posting the solution.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules