Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > [Ann] SyncJe for iPhone - Wireless sync of calendar, contacts, notes

[Ann] SyncJe for iPhone - Wireless sync of calendar, contacts, notes
LouN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2008, 02:30 PM

Hello all,

We have released SyncJe for iPhone beta version. It allows you to keep your iPhone and desktop in sync, wirelessly.

Quick description:

SyncJe for iPhone wirelessly synchronizes your iPhone Calendar, Contacts, and Notes with SyncML servers.

What will SyncJe do for me?

Keep your information in sync between your iPhone and your desktop.

Keep an up to date backup of your information in case your iPhone is lost.

It has a 15 day free trial, and we are giving away free licenses until Jan 8. Give it a try.

Links:
Free License Form

How to install using the installer app

Ok now that the background is out of the way... what do people who have tried it think?

Are there any feature suggestions/requests/demands?

We are working on a new GUI layout, you can take a look at it here. How does something like this look to people?

I am looking for feedback, suggestions, problems for discussion and help.

Is there any information that is missing? I am sure there is, but what? Guides for how to set up end to end syncing?

Any and all comments are appreciated...Thanks (and apologies if this is in the wrong forum, this one seemed to fit the best)

Thanks!
Lou
Nexthaus

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2008, 12:43 AM

Hi,

I've always used devices that had ota syncing, and am certainly intrigued with this. After looking through your documentation and loading the app on my iphone, I see something I will "demand" (ha-ha) right away:

An option for auto-synchronization. Hourly is fine for me personally, but it would probably best if you let people set up the interval according to what's best for them.

Back to setting things up!

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2008, 01:09 AM

Set it up and it worked like a charm - no errors!

Again, my biggest request/suggestion is the auto-sync.

Also, your documentation suggests goosync, which doesn't support contacts or notes. Which servers do? The notes sync is what I'm particularly interested in...

Anyway - nice work!

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2008, 01:20 AM

Okay, final comment.

I used mobical.net's syncml server, which offers notes, calendar and contacts. I was able to push my notes to the server, but all the notes already there were pushed down as blank notes.

To get notes to sync, I had to disable calendar and contacts. Otherwise, it just stops after syncing the calendar.

I didn't test contacts.

Nice effort - good luck!

LouN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2008, 03:00 AM

Thanks for checking it out.

Auto-sync is coming, it just did not make it into this release. All of the other SyncJe clients (BlackBerry, Palm, Outlook etc..) have it, it should be there shortly.

Goosync is an example I am familiar with, which is why it was mentioned. I do realize that there are a couple of issues with Mobical, and we will get those worked out. Both GooSync and Mobical are reseller partners with Nexthaus, so fear not we will make sure it works with their servers.

Things are still moving fast with development, I will update progress here as we go...
Lou
Nexthaus

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 6, 2008, 11:24 AM

Once the iPhone SDK is released, will this be available to those of us who haven't gone through the jailbreak process?

Also, how does this work for those of us who do not use SyncML servers--will you have a SyncML server available that one car run locally, or direct connect to the iCal/AB database?

krove
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 03:19 PM

Is there a Darwin Calendar Server <-> SyncML server intermediary?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

LouN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by krove View Post
Is there a Darwin Calendar Server <-> SyncML server intermediary?
Not that I am aware of. You could sync to your desktop client, then sync to syncml server, then to iphone... and back. Sounds complicated, but after you set it up once that should be it.

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Once the iPhone SDK is released, will this be available to those of us who haven't gone through the jailbreak process?

Also, how does this work for those of us who do not use SyncML servers--will you have a SyncML server available that one car run locally, or direct connect to the iCal/AB database?
Yes, it should be available after Apple releases the SDK/iTunes downloads of apps.

There are many free SyncML server providers (like goosync for example). You should not have to run it locally, just sign up for a free account with one of them. Some messaging/collaboration servers, like Oracle, are SyncML capable, so you could sync with that if you have one (usually at your workplace)
Lou
Nexthaus

LouN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2008, 12:16 AM

SyncJe for iPhone 1.0.3 is LIVE

We have just released an update to SyncJe for iPhone.

Version 1.0.3 includes many bugfixes, and greatly increases compatibility with popular free SyncML servers.

Version 1.0.3 Change Log:
- Lots of bugfixes
- UI improvements
- Improved compatibility with Goosync, Mobical, Scheduleworld, and others...

Upgrading is highly recommended, and free. The installer app should notify you within 24 hours that there is an update available.

There have been some site updates also:

- A new FAQ
- For those installing for the first time, visit the Installation Page
- A Quickstart Guide is also available in PDF format. This guide includes configuration settings for a free SyncML server. Other options include Mobical, and Scheduleworld.

If you have comments, questions, suggestions, please reply.

We are still hard at work on bugs, autosync, and more... stay tuned...

Lou
Nexthaus

LouN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 05:41 PM

SyncJe for iPhone 1.1.1 is LIVE

We have just released an update to SyncJe for iPhone.

Version 1.1.1 changelog:
- Works with all iPhone firmware up to 1.1.3
- Lots of bugfixes and better error messages
- Major improvements with Oracle compatibility
- Enhanced system file management during and after a sync
- Rewording of the app description and post install instructions
- Better recurrance handling

Upgrading is recommended, and free. The installer app should notify you within 24 hours that there is an update available.

If you have comments, questions, suggestions, please reply.

Lou
Nexthaus

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2008, 06:47 PM

Hmm,

I'm already on 1.1.4, and it fails at authentication (though I can log in via the web just fine). Any ETA on when 1.1.4 will work (or do you have a troubleshooting page)?

LouN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Big-C View Post
Hmm,

I'm already on 1.1.4, and it fails at authentication (though I can log in via the web just fine). Any ETA on when 1.1.4 will work (or do you have a troubleshooting page)?
Which server are you connecting to?

That kind of error usually means your url is wrong or your user/pw...
Lou
Nexthaus

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2008, 11:40 PM

You're right - I got it figured out later.

The app is quite slow, but functional. As a result, I haven't had to connect my iphone to my desktop all week. As I live & die by my google calendar, this has been a big improvement.

To each his own, but for me, it was worth registering.

LouN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2008, 11:17 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to drop a quick line that SyncJe for iPhone 1.1.2 is now live!

The biggest new feature is AutoSync. You can now set your iphone to sync automatically on a schedule.

The iPhone page has been greatly enhanced, including help and email subscriptions so you can be notified of updates instantly.

Version 1.1.2
- Automatic Sync! The iPhone will sync automatically at your set interval. The iPhone must be "awake" to sync.
- Fixed some events being synced off by one hour.
- Fixed some event alerts not being activated.
- Fixed some fields not syncing properly.
- Enhanced error reporting.
- Minor bug fixes.

NOTE: If you encounter an error during installation like "Main script couldn't execute", please ensure that you have the following apps up to date:
-Installer app
-BSD subsystem
-Open SSH

Once updated, restart the phone, then try to install SyncJe again.
Lou
Nexthaus

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2008, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

No, it won't. Here are some reasons why:

1) There is no calendar access in the SDK. So no application on the device except Apple's own can talk to the iPhone Calendar.
2) No background apps allowed. So no auto-sync or hourly sync or anything.
3) No notes access. Only Address Book.

So as of *today* and today's SDK, it simply cannot be written for a non-jailbroken iphone. Which is pretty sad really.

Forum Links
Forum Rules