Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > One year later: Life with Lion

One year later: Life with Lion
HamSandwich
Jun 25, 2012, 03:19 PM

Hello,

my mum has been using Mac OS X 10.5 for several years and I wonder about switching to Lion or Mountain Lion in several weeks. I still wonder what would change, though... I know this has probably been discussed a zillion times already, but still: do you find your everyday life with the Mac has changed for real? Apple always appeared to announce the huge paradigm shift, and much of it appeared convincing enough.
So I wanted to try again: Anyone to share his Lion story a bit? What do you like most? What is the one thing which has made you believe the change was worth it? Are there details mentioned not so often which you have come to use very habitually?

I thought I'd try first, as this may be sort of my way to see it: To me, when I had started using Mac OS X 10.5 for a few months, I had somehow thought I had found nearly everything I had looked for in a Mac OS, startup was fast, it was extremely stable and reliable, compatibility was great, I had switched with nearly all versions of my apps and I liked many of the new features well enough.
Sometimes, I thought this was a bit of the way OSs had come to be - pretty perfect for the moment, generally well done; I remember very well the times when an OS would simply crash every once in a while, a device would stop working with a minor OS update, web pages were sometimes sluggish, there was always something to complain about. At a point, I wonder, maybe OSs just changed... to be good, good enough.

And when Snow Leopard was released, and when Lion was announced - to me it seemed as if that's what a reasonable computer company would do, open dusty drawers, pull out ideas, work on them a lot and offer them to clients - and see how that works out in real life. Better notes, a better Address Book, a different Mail app, more full screen apps on the Mac, notification center, gestures... well...

So, what's yours? Has life become more modern? Do you find the change irrelevant, even unreasonable? Do you feel more comfortable?

Curious to see some answers...
Pete

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2012, 03:31 PM

10.6 was better than 10.5 in many ways.

I like 10.7 a lot, especially because of the gestures using a Magic Trackpad.

I like Mission Control a lot more than Spaces, and the trade-offs of integrating that with Exposé are worth it IMO. There are tons and tons of little details that make life a lot nicer than it was with 10.5.

If possible, I would wait and upgrade to 10.8, though. That will bring a lot of little niceties and fix some issues, the same way 10.6 fixed a lot in Leopard.

She'll have to go through 10.6 first to do that, since the App Store isn't available in 10.5, and AFAIK, a direct upgrade from 10.5 isn't possible without reformatting.

P
Jun 26, 2012, 03:31 AM

Note that 10.6 is free if you have mobileme.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2012, 03:48 AM

I would either upgrade to 10.6 which is more solid than 10.6 (even though your mom wouldn't notice any obvious differences) or more likely, wait until 10.8 comes out and upgrade then. Upgrading to Lion now makes no sense in my opinion.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2012, 04:12 PM

I've been running OS X since the Public Beta. I've installed every new version within days(usually hours) of its becoming available. Never any big problems, just a gradual evolution in the way it works. I'll have Mountain Lion on as soon as it comes out next month.

HamSandwich
Jun 28, 2012, 06:32 AM

Alright... So what do you think, will application/device compatibility be a problem? I checked everything for Lion, as I originally thought I would switch to Lion, not Moutain Lion, but I'll probably go right for 10.8. How is compatibility, anyone knows that? Or not to worry?

P
Jun 28, 2012, 06:55 AM

Well, Rosetta is gone, but other than that there doesn't seem to be any big compatibility issues.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ariellauthentic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2012, 06:23 AM

First impressions : http://ariellabaston.com/2011/08/22/os-x-lion-too-wild-to-touch/

After a year : http://forums.macnn.com/0/forum/464370/is-it-worth-upgrading-from-snow-leopard-to-lion#post_4176333

=D

Forum Links
Forum Rules