Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What comic books does everyone read?

What comic books does everyone read?
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 04:05 AM

[FONT="Georgia"]I know there has to be a decent number of comic fans here. I'm always on the look out for good stuff. Currently, I read Savage Dragon, X-Factor, The Goon, Invincible, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (although I have some issues with the current storytelling), Runnaways, Kabuki, Lullaby, Shaolin Coyboy, Hellboy, Blade of the Immortal, and Battle Royale.

If I had to highly recommend something to all of you I would suggest X-Factor, since a new book just started and it is a fantastic jumping on point. Great humor, the characters are awesome, excellent storytelling: the book is a detective/noir one with X-men characters. Good stuff.

Someone recommended I try out the Kurt Busiek run that is about to begin on Superman. Anything else I should give a try?[/FONT]

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 06:17 AM

I love the new X-Factor. Did you read the Madrox miniseries that preceded it? It was also written by Peter David. Other than that, our tastes seem to be different. A newer book I really like is Young Avengers.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 10:52 AM

The Badger, Nexus, Vigilante, Punisher, X-Men, Moonknight -- or at least, those were the ones I loved 20 years ago. I threw them all out when I joined the cult. One of the worst decisions I ever made.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 12:31 PM

I love Schuiten's work.

http://www.urbicande.be/
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

meelk
Baninated
Feb 4, 2006, 12:57 PM

Ultimate FF, The Ultimates, Utimate Iron Man, Ultimate Spiderman, Marvel Zombies, New Avengers.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 04:27 PM

I haven't read comics regularly in years, but I found at the Library some large format DC stuff done by Alex Ross, and the Story by Paul Dini. They were really good.
I can't find them right now, but they're good.

One of them is "Justice League, Secret-Origins"
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

jedi2187
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 12:46 AM

I read The Flash, Superman (when its done right) Ultimate FF, Identity Crisis, and stuff by Jim Mahfood.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 01:51 AM

Ultimates, U FF, U Mightmare, U Wolverine vs Hulk (which was awesome. I bought Incredible Hulk #181 when it came out, and it is cool to see the ultimate version of Wolverine & Hulks first smack down), Wildcats Nemesis, Hellboy. Hellboy is greatness.
I'm way bummed that ComX Comics has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth. Punture was amazing, as was Cla$$war.
Wish Evan Dorkin would put out some new Milk & Cheese material, as that stuff is some of my favorite stuff to read.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

meelk
Baninated
Feb 5, 2006, 02:25 AM

Lets hear it for Ultimate FF, an apparent board favorite
thats a beautiful book, done right, every time. I encourage everyone to pick up the Marvel Zombies books (5 issue limited, issue 3 out this week) which continues the storyline of the zombie world from the Ultimate FF story arc.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 10:00 PM

Okay, so someone explain what is so great about this whole Ultimates line? In some circles it seems like Bendis is a god, in others everyone hates him for taking away Quicksilver's power (among other stuff he's done). I avoided Ultimate Spiderman when it came out because I have never liked Bagley's anorexic Spider-man (and because he aped Erik Larsen's Spidey style) and I hated all of the shiney, fake looking coloring, and I wasn't thrilled about alternate reality universes. Imagine my suprise when the book started winning awards.

Wolfen I've never heard of the Badger, is it any good? I do know that they are bringing back Moonknight in a major way, with art by David Finch (it reminds me of Steven Platt's stuff back in the day).

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2006, 10:24 PM

This prolly doesn't count, but Calvin & Hobbes.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Miniryu
Okay, so someone explain what is so great about this whole Ultimates line? In some circles it seems like Bendis is a god, in others everyone hates him for taking away Quicksilver's power (among other stuff he's done). I avoided Ultimate Spiderman when it came out because I have never liked Bagley's anorexic Spider-man (and because he aped Erik Larsen's Spidey style) and I hated all of the shiney, fake looking coloring, and I wasn't thrilled about alternate reality universes. Imagine my suprise when the book started winning awards.

Wolfen I've never heard of the Badger, is it any good? I do know that they are bringing back Moonknight in a major way, with art by David Finch (it reminds me of Steven Platt's stuff back in the day).
The Ultimate line has a couple of things going for: it doesn't have decades of continuity weighing it down, so writers can start with a well established character yet write brand new continuity free storylines. The storylines seem to have a bit more edge to them. Also, they can bring in 'old' characters and do semi interesting things with them. Downside is that many of these semi intersting twists are only semi intersting because it is changing an previously established character in some way. Taken on their own merits, many of these 'twists' are dull. The death of Gwen Stacy in Ultimate Spiderman was surprising, but seems to me the main reason it was supposed to be shocking was that Ultimate Gwen was bumped off so fast and in such a callous manner. Name the character Mandy Magoo and develop the character the same way and then kill her off the same way, and there would be very little buzz surrounding the event.
So far the only Ultimate book I enjoy on a constant basis is Ultimates (essentially Ultimate Avengers). It is consistently very good. Of course it borrows very heavily from the feel of The Authority when The Authority was very good. Otherwise the Marvel Ultimate line suffers from the same uneven writing as all other comics. Ultimate X-Men ranges from the very good to the painfully bad, and Ultimate FF has been lukewarm so far. Mini series wise, Ultimate War (an Ultimates vs. Ultimate X-Men miniseries) was tepid at best, and a recent Ultimate FF & Ultimate X-Men mini series was so awful that I've managed to completely forget the name of it.
So is the Ultimates line teh best evar? Not even close, but some of the titles are pretty damn good.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 07:27 AM

The Ultimates line is like cover songs. They are some great ones, but I wouldn't want to listen to covers alone.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Forum Links
Forum Rules