Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PASSWORD problem - Death of friend

PASSWORD problem - Death of friend
casitabob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2006, 01:25 PM

A close friend of mine took his life last month and left me his G3 Mac Laptop among other things. However, he didn't leave the password available (we have looked in many papers of his).

I have a copy of the Death Certificate to prove ownership. My question is there a way to bypass the sign in page and set up a new password.

There is a Hint on the password page, but it doesn't make any sense to any in our family. We get to try 3 times and the G3 turns off.

Is there someone that could help me or send me to someone that can help.

I am also at [email protected]

Bob

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2006, 01:30 PM

what os is it running, if its os x i believe you can boot off an installer disc and there is a reset utility

casitabob  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2006, 01:43 PM

Thanks Thetman,

I have 3 Macintosh PowerBook G3 Series disks. I can't get it opened to tell what OS he has.

Disk 1 -- Software Install (blue/gray color disk)
Disk 2 -- Software Restore (blue/gray color disk)
Disk 3 -- Software Install or Restore (blue color disk)

I was afraid to stick on of these disks in. I don't want to delete all his hard hard.

Bob

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 02:06 PM

Stick in disk 1. Boot up and check them menu, It will give you an option to reset the password.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2006, 08:00 PM

If he didn't leave you any way to access the files, what makes you think he wanted you to access the files?

I'd boot off the OS CD and reformat the drive.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2006, 09:31 PM

post the hint here, maybe it'll ring a bell to someone

JasonPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 12:04 AM

You should be able to hold "Command and S" at boot up to get single user mode. You'll get a unix prompt as the root user (or administrator user). From there you should be able to type the command "passwd username" (substitute his username for "username." Before you do that you should follow the on screen directions that are printed before you get the prompt that tell you how to mount the hard drive as writable.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 12:30 AM

Sorry to hear about your friends demise.

But i think the best thing you can do is format the drive and still respect your friends privacy.

But if you dont want to then just follow the awesome advise macnn members have provided
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2006, 02:51 AM

i disagree. any time a close friend snuffs themselves there is always a bit of curiosity as to why. going through personal files can bring relief to loved ones. the healing process has already begun.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

casitabob  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 11:20 AM

I understand how some of you feel, but the "friend" that I mentioned was my son. I been on his computer many times. He was into photography in a big way and I would like to see some of his things get recognized and I would like to see what prompted his action if I can.

We are all so broken up over this and I really didn't want to get into this over the internet...I'm sorry.

I tried putting in each of the disk and only once did a screen of Mac OS 9 come up, but the CD kept running over and over for a long time.

I'll try the Command 'S' next and what happen.

Thanks for your understanding -- it is very hard on my wife and our other two kids.

Bob

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by casitabob View Post
I understand how some of you feel, but the "friend" that I mentioned was my son. I been on his computer many times. He was into photography in a big way and I would like to see some of his things get recognized and I would like to see what prompted his action if I can.

We are all so broken up over this and I really didn't want to get into this over the internet...I'm sorry.

I tried putting in each of the disk and only once did a screen of Mac OS 9 come up, but the CD kept running over and over for a long time.

I'll try the Command 'S' next and what happen.

Thanks for your understanding -- it is very hard on my wife and our other two kids.

Bob

If all else fails, take death certificate to Apple Store and someone at genuis bar will help reset password with the correct OSX install disk. I hope you understand that many people are suspect of unlocking someons else computer, since so many are stolen and data misused in today's time! I bought a computer off Craig's list and after booting I noticed user name in Address Book was not the person I bought it from! I contacted her and she was so glad to get it back she offered to repay me for the price U paid the theif! We alerted police and they are contacting the seller using the phone contact I had from Craig's list!

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2006, 12:53 PM

Sems we assumed you were on OS X! Sounds like its actually OS 9!

Is there a Apple store nearby? is it feasable to go there and ask them for help?
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 03:16 PM

You need to take itto the apple store which then will unlock it for you. What they usually do is run a check to make sure the computer is legit you have nothing to worry about since it was your "friend/son" computer.

They should be able to provide assistance.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 26, 2006, 11:20 PM

A close friend of mine took his life last month and left me his G3 Mac Laptop among other things. However, he didn't leave the password available (we have looked in many papers of his).

I have a copy of the Death Certificate to prove ownership. My question is there a way to bypass the sign in page and set up a new password.

Bob
I understand how some of you feel, but the "friend" that I mentioned was my son. I been on his computer many times. He was into photography in a "big way and I would like to see some of his things get recognized and I would like to see what prompted his action if I can.

Bob
First you said it was your "close friend" who took his own life. Then you said it was your "son".

If you really suffered the loss of your son, my condolences, but even if this laptop was your son's, that does not give you the right to access his private files. In my opinion, even if he is dead, he has the right to privacy.

You say you have a death certificate to prove you are the owner, but you post in an online forum where that obviously cant be validated, rather than going to the police or to an Apple store for help, where you would indeed have to show such proof.

Unfortunately, there are people who would make up a dramatic story like this to socially engineer folks into helping them break into a stolen laptop or a laptop that they have no business accessing. In my opinion, that would be the lowest of low. I hope that is not the case, here. But when people change their story or offer "proof" in a way that clearly cannot be proven, I find it hard to believe what they say.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2006, 12:32 AM

damn dude that was harsh

If he's a thief, he'd probably just wipe and reinstall and be done with it.

Also guy - you might try mounting it in firewire target disk mode. This will bypass any security, unless he has some kind of encryption on.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 02:01 AM

It's not *that* hard to figure out how to access files on a Mac, provided FileVault hasn't been used--nobody needs "social engineering". This would have been a good opportunity to sit back and take ten before posting, IMHO.

mrplow
Dec 27, 2006, 03:03 AM

Can't he just boot from a linux live CD or Target disk Mode and access all the files from another computer? And if so, someoen should give good directions... I don't see why this wouldnt work. Additionally, once you have retrieved everything, you should be able to pop those install cds in and reformat it (and copy all the files you previously saved back over form another computer, if you so wish)

--sorry i just realized someone else suggested target disk mode; to do this you hold down Apple(Command) and T as soon as you turn the computer on. Then have a firewire cable connected from this computer to another, and the machines hard drive will show up as an external drive on that computer.

mrplow
Dec 27, 2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Can't he just boot from a linux live CD or Target disk Mode and access all the files from another computer? And if so, someoen should give good directions... I don't see why this wouldnt work. Additionally, once you have retrieved everything, you should be able to pop those install cds in and reformat it (and copy all the files you previously saved back over form another computer, if you so wish)

--sorry i just realized someone else suggested target disk mode; to do this you hold down Apple(Command) and T as soon as you turn the computer on. Then have a firewire cable connected from this computer to another, and the machines hard drive will show up as an external drive on that computer.

---and attacking the guy as a fraud is ridiculous; it's ****ing christmas! who the hell cares if he is lying? Shame on the person for only half-assing the security IF it's so important...

I'm sorry about your loss.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
First you said it was your "close friend" who took his own life. Then you said it was your "son".

If you really suffered the loss of your son, my condolences, but even if this laptop was your son's, that does not give you the right to access his private files. In my opinion, even if he is dead, he has the right to privacy.

You say you have a death certificate to prove you are the owner, but you post in an online forum where that obviously cant be validated, rather than going to the police or to an Apple store for help, where you would indeed have to show such proof.

Unfortunately, there are people who would make up a dramatic story like this to socially engineer folks into helping them break into a stolen laptop or a laptop that they have no business accessing. In my opinion, that would be the lowest of low. I hope that is not the case, here. But when people change their story or offer "proof" in a way that clearly cannot be proven, I find it hard to believe what they say.

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 27, 2006, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
damn dude that was harsh
Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Sorry if my original post sounded unduly harsh. And condolences (again) to anyone who loses a child.

My observations:
-----------
HYPOTHETICAL POST #1

1. A computer is password protected by its owner.
2. Another person wants to defeat the password protection

MAJORITY MACNN FORUM RESPONCE: We will not help you defeat password protection on another persons computer.

EXPLANATION: Most forum members are honest.

-----------
HYPOTHETICAL POST #2

3. A heart wrenching explanation is given (even if the explanation changes, even though the explanation can't be validated)

MAJORITY MACNN FORUM RESPONSE: Here's how to defeat the password protection.

EXPLANATION: Our humanity and sympathy are potent motivators.
-----------

IMO and, as others have said, the proper thing to do is take the computer to an Apple store with the death certificate. This would balance the needs of a grieving parent, and the privacy rights of the person who password protected the computer.
( Last edited by rjt1000; Dec 27, 2006 at 10:38 AM. )

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 27, 2006, 07:18 AM

---
( Last edited by rjt1000; Dec 27, 2006 at 07:22 AM. Reason: duplicate post)

drpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 02:21 PM

Sorry if my original post sounded unduly harsh. And condolences (again) to anyone who loses a child.

My observations:
-----------
HYPOTHETICAL POST #1

MAJORITY MACNN FORUM RESPONCE: We will not help you defeat password protection on another persons computer.

EXPLANATION: Most forum members are honest.

-----------
HYPOTHETICAL POST #2

3. A heart wrenching explanation is given (even if the explanation changes, even though the explanation can't be validated)

MAJORITY MACNN FORUM RESPONSE: Here's how to defeat the password protection.

EXPLANATION: Our humanity and sympathy are potent motivators.
-----------

IMO and, as others have said, the proper thing to do is take the computer to an Apple store with the death certificate. This would balance the needs of a grieving parent, and the privacy rights of the person who password protected the computer.

You may be 100% correct in your observations, conclusions and opinions, but your timing is off. IMO, your post is harsh in that it serves no purpose in the conext of this thread. That is, right or wrong, it doesn't add anything or help anyone. Had you been the first to respond and made your observations, with tact, and offered the advice of going to the Apple store, those same observations and advice would have been helpful to the OP and to the forum in general. Posting at the time you did, when numerous suggestions had already been given...nothing more than

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 07:32 PM

I agree with drpepper completely and totally. Well put.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2006, 09:14 PM

to casitabob - did firewire target disk mode work?

casitabob  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 09:36 PM

I thought it was a simple request not thinking that someone would think like most of you have. Why in the world would I bear my soul. I only mention our Son as "a friend" to try to keep it simple, and now it is so blown out of portion.

I am so sorry I ever brought it up. It just came up in conversion and so I posted the question. At this point, since the only thing I had in mind was to try and register some of his works "in his honor".

we are not in this for anything and if anything would come out of it, it would be donated. Many people that I have seen write about me certainly must have very dishonest minds. For i would never have done or thought of doing any of the things you people have somewhat accused me of wanting to do. I am 70 years old and I am suppose to be the first to go before one of my kids. You have no idea how hard it is to have one of your kids to pass on. I was suppose to go before them. I couldn't feel worse now.

I will handle this problem, as someone said, through Apple. So that many of you can rest. It took a lot for me to even write the first post, and all I was doing was to help my Son.

Bob

Pierre Capretz II
Dec 27, 2006, 09:55 PM

you need help. shame on you.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 10:24 PM

I would have to agree with rjt1000 on this one. I'm afraid that there is a high probability that this was indeed a hoax designed to provide information on how to overcome password protection on a stolen laptop. The person has a low post count and claims he is 70 years old, however he doesn't write like a typical 70 year old and is computer savvy enough to know that he needs to visit this particular site for this information.

In addition, he switched to saying that the dead person was his "son" ONLY after he wasn't getting the required info by just saying his friend died. By claiming his son died he indeed triggered some social engineering and also provided a better argument for accessing the drive. It's likely some of you just helped someone to steal another persons identity or intellectual property.

If you did lose your son casitabob, my condolences to you and I apologize for being cynical but people come here all the time trying to access the drives on stolen property.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2006, 11:01 PM

it's possible that casitabob used the description 'friend' to actually avoid people thinking it was a hoax... 'my son died' is very dramatic and might sound more suspicious. either way, i think it's better to take the death certificate to someone who can validate it and deal with your issue
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2006, 05:22 AM

Mmmmmm... takes one to know one I guess

The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

FozzieUK
Dec 28, 2006, 07:58 AM

So what if some low life wanted help in accessing a stolen computer. That's life, it's cr@p. I am sure if it really was a low life he would have enough 'friends' to help him out anyway. You all should have erred on the side of caution and give this poor man the benefit of the doubt. If it was stolen the guy who owned it would have a new one now from insurance and replaced the data he had backed up!
You should all be ashamed (those that didn't believe him)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year not.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by FozzieUK View Post
So what if some low life wanted help in accessing a stolen computer. That's life, it's cr@p. I am sure if it really was a low life he would have enough 'friends' to help him out anyway. You all should have erred on the side of caution and give this poor man the benefit of the doubt. If it was stolen the guy who owned it would have a new one now from insurance and replaced the data he had backed up!
You should all be ashamed (those that didn't believe him)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year not.
Erring on the side of caution would be to not help him and simply refer him to an Apple store, which some did. If his story is true the techs there will be able to help this poor guy far more effectively anyway. He can show them the death certificate and it'll be a done deal.

How do you know the owner of a potentially stolen laptop had insurance? How do you know a person who steals a laptop has friends with technical expertise? How do you know the potential thief was only after the laptop and not the private information(account passwords, credit card info etc) inside it? You've made a disturbing amount of assumptions based upon nothing.

Why should one believe the man's story over not believing him--especially since he changed his story a bit midway through his thread? Is it because you believe in the inner goodness of the human heart and it was around Xmas when he posted? please.

FozzieUK
Dec 28, 2006, 12:40 PM

No I don't believe anything like that, what does it matter anyway though?? FF'S! If you had something like that stolen, I would imagine you would cancel your credit cards etc. and if the 'thief' didn't know how to bypass the startup password he sure wouldn't know how to get at your credit card details!

Danni
Dec 28, 2006, 01:39 PM

No one here will be able to prove anything regarding the truth of this matter. To avoid further hurt and arguments which are going nowhere, I suggest that the moderators close this thread.

Danni

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by FozzieUK View Post
No I don't believe anything like that, what does it matter anyway though?? FF'S! If you had something like that stolen, I would imagine you would cancel your credit cards etc. and if the 'thief' didn't know how to bypass the startup password he sure wouldn't know how to get at your credit card details!
Most Thieves, want to sell with software including any itunes, etc.

mrplow
Dec 28, 2006, 06:28 PM

Let's lay this thread to rest regardless of how anyone may feel towards another member's opinion on the matter; it's not relevent in any way at this point. To the original poster, I'm sorry.

casitabob  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 11:10 AM

My wife and I sat around thinking of words that we use to joke about when our son was alive, and we tried one of those and the Mac OS 9.2 opened up.

And there were many of his pictures he took from his last trip to New Zealand, Alaska, and finally Hawaii. He took some beautiful photos which are very close to us.

As for if I'm 70 years old, yes, and for knowing about computers, yes, but only Windows (been to many forums with Windows), but as our son use to tell us, "Dad buy an Apple and you won't have all the problems" He is so correct. We live in a town, about 100,000, and there is not one Apple service around. I talked to one of the local computer stores and they said there are no Apple repair centers here because they just don't go bad.

Well, indirectly our Son made us Apple people.

Sorry for all the confusion about whether I was doing a legal thing or not -- but I was, just that I'm not very good with words and many of you took me all wrong.

You are welcome to email me anytime if you still have doubts.

bOb

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 29, 2006, 04:19 PM

my condolences on your loss.. and its good that you are preserving his data. Death is a hard thing to deal with.. So sorry about your loss..

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2006, 04:24 PM

Mr casitabob, I hope you can preserve the data. Very sorry for your loss. I think it's legal for you to look at your son's files if you were the recipeint of the computer in his will ( if he had one). If he didn't have a will, everything should go to you anyway.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by JasonPro View Post
You should be able to hold "Command and S" at boot up to get single user mode. You'll get a unix prompt as the root user (or administrator user). From there you should be able to type the command "passwd username" (substitute his username for "username." Before you do that you should follow the on screen directions that are printed before you get the prompt that tell you how to mount the hard drive as writable.
This hasn't worked since Jaguar.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2006, 09:00 PM

My wife and I sat around thinking of words that we use to joke about when our son was alive, and we tried one of those and the Mac OS 9.2 opened up.

And there were many of his pictures he took from his last trip to New Zealand, Alaska, and finally Hawaii. He took some beautiful photos which are very close to us.

As for if I'm 70 years old, yes, and for knowing about computers, yes, but only Windows
I'm 47 and have a BS in computer science. I have yet to understand people old enough to be parents who haven't figured out how to use computers without hurting them or themselves. I don't get the "VCR flashing 12:00" bit either... But I take offense at someone saying "you're too old to understand computers"; my father is about to turn 75, and while he had to take a class to get up to speed, he's quite capable on his own. It's about mind set, not age. Stupid ageist kids...

Sorry for all the confusion about whether I was doing a legal thing or not -- but I was, just that I'm not very good with words and many of you took me all wrong.

bOb
I did not doubt you. I have counseled people in grief a number of times-you showed the signs of "trying to stay in control" that come through typing as much as they do through speaking. I grieve for you. My son (19 now) is my friend too-though he still doubts that! I can understand your need to see the pictures your son took, to reclaim the memories he had shared with you and those he'd promised.

And I hurt with you for the manner of your loss.

This event should help warn people that passwords need protection beyond not losing them. My passwords are in a file (hard copy) that my wife can get to at any time and vice versa. We're both pretty active online, and this gives us both a mechanism through which we can notify the other's online community of problems. And as a former corporate computer security officer, I will pass on one major rule: ALL passwords need to be backed up somewhere that hardware and software failures (and/or memory failures) don't make them irretrievable. ALL passwords for everything. Unless you're afraid your house or apartment is subject to uncontrolled pilfering, keep your passwords with your personal records, and keep them up to date.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
This hasn't worked since Jaguar.
Well that's good because he's running OS 9.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 01:11 AM

So the old Mac OS 9 install CD didn't support resetting the password?
Agent69

Balrog3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 11:11 AM

regarding saving all passworrds, I update and email myself an email that has ALL of our passwords,
medical records numbers SSN etc to a shared e-mail account. Granted it is not encryted but it it there on someone elses server so that not if but when the computer fails, one or both of us can access accounts immediately which is definitely not the case w/ safe deposit boxes. any thoughts?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 11:53 AM

There are lots of legal issues about theft, fraud and stealing laptops and iPods. I have had several people come to me with the story that they had just bought a used laptop and the original owner didn't give them the Install CD or the admin password. I generally refuse to help them because I flat out do not believe them. Stories like the original poster's are both difficult to verify and heart breaking.
I hope this one has worked out for the best.

agalinfl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 03:03 PM

Casita Bob... I am so sorry for your loss and that when you reached out to this community you had to face such scrutiny... It was unnecessary... sometimes people should just NOT respond... I wish you and your family the best this holiday season.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Balrog3 View Post
regarding saving all passworrds, I update and email myself an email that has ALL of our passwords,
medical records numbers SSN etc to a shared e-mail account. Granted it is not encryted but it it there on someone elses server so that not if but when the computer fails, one or both of us can access accounts immediately which is definitely not the case w/ safe deposit boxes. any thoughts?
Only worry there is if someone hacks that server and steals the info, or if someone is sniffing your connection and intercepts the email.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 31, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
Only worry there is if someone hacks that server and steals the info, or if someone is sniffing your connection and intercepts the email.
This is why I keep my passwords ON PAPER and at home. Frankly, it'd be a gem of a thief that could find anything in our filing system, and my home files are much more secure than someone else's server. And if someone breaks into my house, my iPod password is the LAST thing I'm going to worry about.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules