Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > H.R. why isnt for employees?

H.R. why isnt for employees?
suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2006, 12:26 PM

Is it just me or has Human Resources dept's in companies become nothing more than corporate flunkies that do more for the company's interests than the employees?

I was always lead to believe that H.R. was there for the employee's benefit instead of the company's. It would seem now that most H.R. dept's are there only to ENFORCE the company's rules and will never take up the fight for an employee. I know from first hand experiences from more than one company that H.R. people are usually inexperienced, unknowledgeable, and unfortunately have absolutely no "people skills". It has mostly been my experience that when you call H.R. to get information on your benefits or a company policy, you get a reply of "uh....i dont know, read your handbook" (which you never got in the first place..... ) You always hear from company flunkies the same thing, "our employees have no loyalty for the company" well, I say, "show the workers some loyalty, and appreciation other than the good old reply of "you should be grateful you have a job" Companies should remember "you get what you give" how about giving the workers something to be proud of??

oh well, that's my rant....but one more thing.....CORPORATE AMERICA SUCKS A$$!!!!!!!!
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 12:30 PM

Hey, dude, same thing with your medical insurance. Call them up and ask them what's covered and they say, "Didn't you get a book that covers your policy?"

HR is only there, by the way, to police sexual harassment of fellow employees and handle that sort of crap. They're the legal buffers that the company uses.

Lame, I know.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by suprz's ghoast
Is it just me or has Human Resources dept's in companies become nothing more than corporate flunkies that do more for the company's interests than the employees?
What would have ever made you think otherwise? They work FOR your company, of course that's who they're serving.

This whole thread is kind of a "d'uh!"
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2006, 12:44 PM

Even if HR is all gung-ho about protecting your rights, they still operate under the constraints that managements places on them. HR might be trying as hard as they can to improve things, but if management doesn't go along they're as powerless as you are.

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
What would have ever made you think otherwise? They work FOR your company, of course that's who they're serving.

This whole thread is kind of a "d'uh!"
speaking of "d'uh!"

you arent getting it. The whole point of the post was that they are SUPPOSED to look out for the interests of the employees as well as the company. but 9 times out of 10 they only have the company's interests in mind. therefore they are useless to the employees that they are supposed to help
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 02:40 PM

That's why there are personal injury attorneys.

Get one and sue the bastards...like everyone else does.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 02:44 PM

I've always disliked the term "Human Resources." It makes me think "Soylent Green."
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2006, 02:53 PM

Go buy a Dilbert book. Take notice of a character named "Catbert". That's HR.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 20, 2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by suprz's ghost
speaking of "d'uh!"

you arent getting it. The whole point of the post was that they are SUPPOSED to look out for the interests of the employees as well as the company. but 9 times out of 10 they only have the company's interests in mind. therefore they are useless to the employees that they are supposed to help
Umm, no.

H.R. is there for the company's sole benefit. They only help employees to the extent that a) they are required to by law and b) it helps the company. That's it.

Any other expectations are pure and unadulterated delusion.

Do I wish it were different? Absolutely. But what I describe is reality.

tooki

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by suprz's ghost
speaking of "d'uh!"

What gave you that idea? The purpose of HR is to fill open vacancies with qualified candidates, do statistical reporting to the government and (theoretically) make sure the employer and employees follow employment law, administrate benefits and mediate conflict. HR will always support whatever management policy there is.

Some HR departments do act more as an advocate for the employee, but a misperception is that an HR person is their "lawyer" or "union rep" when they have a disagreement with a boss or coworker. Corporate America does kinda suck, but you always have the option to leave.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 03:49 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but our HR is actually rather nice and helpful. I ask questions about dental, medical, vision, etc. and they respond rather quickly.

I don't expect them to defend me... but if I have a problem, I go to them.

I'm guessing it's different at every company.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 04:09 PM

production_coordinator

I don't know about the rest of you, but our HR is actually rather nice and helpful. I ask questions about dental, medical, vision, etc. and they respond rather quickly.
Do you work for yourself?

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 04:17 PM

HR does work for the organization. However, I've seen good and bad. Like anything else, it does matter on how YOU make the relationship. The last company I worked for... I found that the folks that did the recruiting were good for nothing.. but the benefits folks were really good. Then there's the training folks... That company had some of the best internal traning I've ever experienced. In fact, I think they were voted #1 in terms of professional development.

But knowing someone you can get along with is always good.... This goes the same for accounting, legal, and pretty much any other department. Or.. get in nice with the CEO.

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2006, 04:25 PM

well, payback is a BITCH!!! we just got a email stating that our HR dept has been OUTSOURCED! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA............... i wonder how they like it on OUR side of the fence????

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 04:29 PM

Where to? India? Or better yet, Beirut?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Do you work for yourself?

Ummm, no. I guess I have always known that they have been there for the company... but at the same time, they are there for me as well. I've been with organizations with poor HR offices and organizations with good.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 04:43 PM

(Psssst...it was a JOKE...)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 12:26 PM

HR is like "customer service" at any retail store.

Call them to complain and they show you the door.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 01:39 PM

Our HR department is one person. She likes to make jokes about firing people and once asked a gay employee if he had trouble holding turds in. She is very professional.

She also once told an employee that he was going to hell for inviting a gay person to his wedding and proceeded to put anti-gay pamphlets on his desk for the next week or so until he complained.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Our HR department is one person. She likes to make jokes about firing people and once asked a gay employee if he had trouble holding turds in. She is very professional.

She also once told an employee that he was going to hell for inviting a gay person to his wedding and proceeded to put anti-gay pamphlets on his desk for the next week or so until he complained.

Who'd he complain to??

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 01:48 PM

Not sure, either to her directly or to the boss. He probably just threatened to tell on her if she continued. It happened right before I started.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ort888

What country/state do you live in?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 02:49 PM

Missouri. Oh boy!

And no, this isn't normal behavior for Missouri. This company is just nuts.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 03:53 PM

I work in my company's HR department, but not in the field nor in employee relations - typically, what people think HR is. I work for corporate HR in our compensation department. We're the lucky ones tasked with coming up with pay programs that employees love (lots of cash) and management loves (spend less). We also administer those programs, which can be 10-kinds of fun all in it's own.

Despite the constant battle to try to pay employees more (employee salaries are companies' number one expense) while increasing profits, I like my job. It's good times

EDIT: clarified what department I work in
( Last edited by E's Lil Theorem; Jul 21, 2006 at 04:01 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 21, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
HR does work for the organization. However, I've seen good and bad. Like anything else, it does matter on how YOU make the relationship. The last company I worked for... I found that the folks that did the recruiting were good for nothing.. but the benefits folks were really good. Then there's the training folks... That company had some of the best internal traning I've ever experienced. In fact, I think they were voted #1 in terms of professional development.

But knowing someone you can get along with is always good.... This goes the same for accounting, legal, and pretty much any other department. Or.. get in nice with the CEO.
Well, as I said: they do good things for employees if they think it will benefit the company.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2006, 07:42 PM

"HR" used to be called "personnel," but apparently that wasn't "friendly" enough for some people. It stands for "human resources," and managers use all sorts of resources to get the job done. The HR department only has to deal with those employee issues that the company designates-often through hiring incentives like medical insurance and so on. They keep track of vacation and sick hours to help the management manage employees, and the payroll folks keep track of the same hours for financial purposes. Overall, since it's a management function, it's FOR management. Of course that's not to say that some trolls don't like being trolls...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
.... Of course that's not to say that some trolls don't like being trolls...
Heeeeeyyyyy!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules