Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What to buy?

What to buy?
charmcitycop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 05:05 PM

So I am going to get a Mac laptop... but I am very unsure of which one to get. Here are the options for me...

1) Refurb MacBook Pro (not the most recent model, but a nicer price than a new one)
2) Refurb MacBook (If I get a macbook, I want a black one... again, refurb would be cheaper but not the most current)
3) New MacBook (Hafta be black, and a new one would be faster and have some other enhancements...)

I can't afford a new MacBook Pro, so that is off the table for sure. I guess what it comes down to is, is the Pro model that much better than a refurbed older model would be a better long-term buy than a new black MacBook?

I'm also torn about wheter or not to get AppleCare. I never got it on anything previously, but I never had a portable before.

HELP!

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 29, 2006, 09:23 PM

If you do anything that makes heavy use of the video processor (GPU) then I would definitely go for the MBP core duo over the MB with either core duo or core 2 duo. This Barefeats review makes the comparison.

One concern about the refurbs is that the early MBP's and to a lesser extent MB's had a number of issues, that were resolved with the updates.

You have up to a year after purchase to decide about Apple care. If you make the purchase with a credit card, some will double the manufacturers warranty. So you could get 2 years of coverage without paying more. Call your credit card company to find out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules