Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What's the best way to hook up to my car? (ipod)

What's the best way to hook up to my car? (ipod)
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2004, 08:20 PM

Hooking my iPod into my Taurus SHO or Taurus SES is easy: I use the cassette adapter.

Hooking the iPod into my SRT-4 is hard: No tape deck.
I know that Apple markets two different FM transmitters accessories: iTrip and the other powered one by Monster.

Which one is better? I had a very bad experience with a similar unit by Radio Shack last year.

(Or is neither any good and there is a better solution perhaps?)

I live in Atlanta (if that makes any difference with regards to the usefulness of these types of FM devices)

Thanks ....
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2004, 08:55 PM

The best souding way, besides getting a new headunit, is to get a hard-wire FM Modulator that is used in typical CD changer installations. Go to a site like www.crutchfield.com and search for FM Modulator. They run about $40. I think it's a much better solution than the wireless ones that don't produce a strong enough signal.
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by egleband83:
The best souding way, besides getting a new headunit, is to get a hard-wire FM Modulator that is used in typical CD changer installations. Go to a site like www.crutchfield.com and search for FM Modulator. They run about $40. I think it's a much better solution than the wireless ones that don't produce a strong enough signal.
There's a good discussion of this topic here:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35392

I used this approach in a Honda Pilot (wired the iPod into the CD changer) and it works beautifully.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2004, 11:03 PM

I understand the FM transmitters are all pretty similar in performance, it's ease of use and styling where the differences lie.

Atlanta is going to have a lot of RF flying around. I doubt you'll have much better luck with a different model.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2004, 11:19 PM

I use the DLO Transpod in my Subaru WRX. Works great. It has better integration than the iTrip, no software to install like the iTrip, which can screw things up if you put the iPod on shuffle. It also looks pretty cool on the end of a stalk. I have never had any interference from other RF sources, but I do live out in the middle of nowhere. The other choice is iCruze which is a hardwire solution, but it hasn't been released yet. Hope this helps.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

pjwoods
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2004, 03:28 PM

i myself am considering the approach that works for me, and i think what i'll do is get a new in dash unit, like a blaupunkt, that has a front panel 1/8" in put and just do a direct auxillary input; no frequencies or interferences to worry about. after all, your sound quality will only be as good as your transmission method.

another option to explore is to get a new unit (crutchfield has SO! many) with a rear RCA aux input, and just snake an RCA to 1/8" cord from the back of the unit through your dash somewhere. my buddy did this on his mustang, and it looks really clean and sounds awesome. good luck.
dude, signatures? wank.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2004, 06:35 PM

I may have to replace the head unit in my SRT-4 or find some way to hook into the CD-Changer controls. Hmm .... I hate to swap out the entire system just for this as Daimler/Chrysler actually put in a decent factory system (go figure).

Changing out the head unit in my SHO would be impossible. It's one of those proprietary/basterized oval things that combines the environmental controls with the radio controls while the radio is actually elsewhere in the car. (Good thing it has a tape deck that I can input!)

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'll take a look later at my possibilities (including reading the above referenced thread)

If anyone thinks of anything else please let me know.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

jebjeb
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 10:24 AM

I bought a new Mini Cooper S about 18 months ago. I had a similar problem as I wanted to stay with the standard (well factory upgraded) headunit as it sounded fine and matched the interior of the car. I ended up finding a auxiliary input cable made for the 3 or 5 series BMW (can't remember which) that plugs into the back of the head unit and has a mini plug connector on the other end. Mounted a dock to the slot-in ashtray, connected a 12v adapter and the mini plug to the head unit and now I just pull the iPod from my pocket and slot it straight into the dock. Don't have to worry about hooking up any cables and it stays nice and stable in the dock.

The suggestion then is to ask your Dodge/Chrysler (sorry, not sure what they market the SRT over there in the US)if they have a auxiliary-in cable part. If not, find out who makes the headunit. Alpine, Blaupunkt, Pioneer etc etc make most of the OEM head units out there and I know of other vehicles that guys have got the OEM manufacturer cable and it has worked. A good example is Audi where you can buy a Blaupunkt aux cable and it works a charm.

Hope this helps!

[Edit - can't believe how long ago I registered this account! I didn't think the registration worked for me back then and have been (shamfully) lurking since then.]

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by jebjeb:

[Edit - can't believe how long ago I registered this account! I didn't think the registration worked for me back then and have been (shamfully) lurking since then.]
jebjeb,

welcome to the discussion! good suggestions that I'll certainly follow up on ... thanks.
(Oh, the srt-4 is a dodge here in the usa)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

jebjeb
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 11:53 AM

Thanks Driven!

Found this http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74545

Have a look at the wiring harness picture.

Pins 1,2 and 6 on the 10 Pin Cavity harness may possbly be an input. I know with my mini, the connector just hooks up to 3 pins then the Aux in is available when you scroll through the modes eg. Radio - CD - AUX.

I will see what else I can find.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 09:50 PM

Twine or a light guage chain securely fixed to the rear of the vehicle and tied tightly around the iPod. The twine or chain should be 1 - 2 meters long for best results. Don't use FireWire cables, as they tend to detach from the iPod when driving over speed bumps and potholes.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Forum Links
Forum Rules