Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iMovie export has no sound

iMovie export has no sound
dscottbuch
Mar 24, 2003, 11:30 AM

Hi,

I've just finished an iMovie project in which the voice has been dubbed over. Everything plays fine in iMovie (and in the preview of iDVD although I haven't buned a dvd yet) but when exported to quicktime there is NO SOUND. I've tried different compressors, etc and always no sound. In addition, if I load the iDVD QT file into Cleaner 6 it plays fine in the preview, i.e., there is sound, in sync, but the output has NO SOUND.

Any help in solving this would be appreciated.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 12:00 PM

Are you sure you are checking the audio box in the QT export options? I've neglected to check that box a few times myself

dscottbuch  (op)
Mar 24, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
Are you sure you are checking the audio box in the QT export options? I've neglected to check that box a few times myself
I tried the 'default' Full DV as well as expert. In neither case did I see an audio export on/off option. Where should I find this? Can you post a screen shot?

Thanks,

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 12:53 PM

It's under the compression options for video, using the expert setting when exporting to QT.

dscottbuch  (op)
Mar 24, 2003, 01:27 PM

It's under the compression options for video, using the expert setting when exporting to QT.
Thanks, but this was checked, still no joy. The movie info in quicktime still shows only a video track? It there something that needs to be done to 'rejoin' the audio track and the vidio track in iMovie?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 01:50 PM

I'm stumped, everything looks like it's a go from your pictures.

dscottbuch  (op)
Mar 24, 2003, 03:33 PM

I'm stumped, everything looks like it's a go from your pictures.
Finally tracked it down to what I presume to be a corrupted audio clip. After deleting the last clip in the audio track all was well.

Thanks for you help.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 09:39 AM

I'm not so sure that was your problem. If you go to the Apple Support discussion boards you'll see that many folks (myself included) have the same problem. When exporting to Quicktime iMovie3 does weird things to the sound...ignores level edits, replaces deleted sounds, etc.

Apparently this is only a problem when you export to Quicktime, and doesn't happen when you export to iDVD or to tape. I had to export my video to tape and recapure it again to make my final Quicktime movie sound right.

dscottbuch  (op)
Mar 25, 2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
I'm not so sure that was your problem. If you go to the Apple Support discussion boards you'll see that many folks (myself included) have the same problem. When exporting to Quicktime iMovie3 does weird things to the sound...ignores level edits, replaces deleted sounds, etc.

Apparently this is only a problem when you export to Quicktime, and doesn't happen when you export to iDVD or to tape. I had to export my video to tape and recapure it again to make my final Quicktime movie sound right.
In this case I'm pretty sure it was a particular audio clip because I had two copies of the project on two systems. On one system I delieted the clip and everything was fine. On the other, my daughter continued to work on the project, adding more scenes and audio. Deleting that clip from the modified project still cleared things up. Of course, a bunged up audio clip should not invalidate the entire audio stream without at least an error message.

Forum Links
Forum Rules