Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Word Perfect (.wpd) documents on a Mac

Word Perfect (.wpd) documents on a Mac
nickw311
Senior User
Dec 22, 2009, 03:48 PM

I am trying to get my work to replace my 4 year old Dell with a Mac but our documents here are created using Word Perfect. To the best of my knowledge Corel does not make Word Perfect for Macs. Is there a way using MS Office to save as a .wpd or to open up .wpd documents?

Has anyone else here dealt with this issue?
27" iMac C2D

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2009, 05:10 PM

Don't know about Office, but you might try NeoOffice which is free.

P
Dec 22, 2009, 05:22 PM

Older Word versions used to support every version of Wordperfect ever, even Wordperfect Mac which must have sold about 3 copies decades ago. Recent versions of Office do not support anything except text, RTF and Word 97 and newer. The older formats (especially the infamous Word 6.0/95) were deemed a security hazard a while back, so MS cut support for it. On Windows those filters aren't installed by default any more, but you can still install them - not so in Mac Office, that I'm aware of.

Anyway: Easiest way is to use an app that does support Wordperfect, such as OpenOffice or its Mac-optimized sibling Neooffice to convert your files to a recent Word format.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2009, 06:31 PM

I use AbiWord to convert WordPerfect to formats readable on OS X, such as .odt, .rtf, or .doc. It's a little more lightweight than OpenOffice/NeoOffice if all you want it for is WordPerfect conversion.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules