Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photoshop security vulnerability, with a twist

Photoshop security vulnerability, with a twist
P
May 10, 2012, 04:45 AM

Adobe has released a new security advisory. There is a serious bug in the latest version of Photoshop, and the fix is...buy Photoshop CS6, which includes the fix.

All of you who are complaining that Apple is only supporting one version back: Adobe is not even supporting the current version. They must have known about the bug when it was in the current version and held off on fixing it for the next big release. This is a new low.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
This is a new low.
For Adobe ? I dunno. This pretty well fits my perception of that company.

-t

Thorzdad
May 10, 2012, 07:47 AM

Adobe lost me as a continuing customer when they made the .5 update to CS5 a paid upgrade. Lame.
As for this supposed vulnerability...It certainly does smell fishy, especially when the fix is to shell-out for CS6.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 10, 2012, 08:01 AM

"Adobe" and "new low" has practically lost all meaning.

At this point being face down in a sceptic tank would be a higher point.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
May 10, 2012, 08:32 AM

The bug is that everyone realized that they didn't need CS6. Quick! Make them upgrade!

Thorzdad
May 10, 2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The bug is that everyone realized that they didn't need CS6. Quick! Make them upgrade!
QFT

Adobe's also heavily pushing their leasing option with the CS6 release. Ugh.

P  (op)
May 13, 2012, 05:55 PM

Turns out that there are limit to how low you can go. Adobe is backpedalling, there will be updates for CS5.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
May 19, 2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Adobe has released a new security advisory. There is a serious bug in the latest version of Photoshop, and the fix is...buy Photoshop CS6, which includes the fix.

All of you who are complaining that Apple is only supporting one version back: Adobe is not even supporting the current version. They must have known about the bug when it was in the current version and held off on fixing it for the next big release. This is a new low.
Add that you can't skip a version, or you have to buy the full version.

Add that upgrades are 40% of a full version.

Add Adobe Cloud, the foggy service for those who want to live in Adobe's cloud cuckoo land.

Adobe is currently the shabbiest company around. One reason (but not the only one) that I'll be going FCP X / motion instead of premerie/After Effects (Premiere is pot-ugly anyway, and only fakes to be as progressive as FCP X).

I have Photoshop, I'll update to CS6 with teeth grinding, but that's it. No more Adobe.

Thorzdad
May 19, 2012, 10:03 PM

I won't be updating to CS6. The value just isn't there.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
May 22, 2012, 12:32 AM

I use Photoshop 20 hours a week.

The constant improvement of tools like the selection tools alone is worth it to me.

Of course, a fairer price would be $200 for "extended", not $400.

Again, I don't like Adobe and this is why I won't buy any other application of theirs - Adobe's upgrade scheme is resembling a blackmail scheme.

InnovativeConsulting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2012, 06:26 AM

The paid version would surely make a low but still trying well with existing application.

andi*pandi
Jun 12, 2012, 04:12 PM

paul55555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2012, 12:29 AM

My question is: just how great is the supposed vulnerability? Also, what would you good folks suggest as a reliable and near fully functional alternative to Photoshop CS-5?

Thank You-Paul

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2012, 01:03 AM

There is a CS5 fix:
Adobe - Security Bulletins: APSB12-11 Security bulletin for Adobe Photoshop

As far as alternatives... let's start a new thread!

Thorzdad
Jun 24, 2012, 08:01 AM

I have a caveat about that Adobe security update.
I downloaded, ran and installed the updates for both Illustrator and Photoshop earlier this week. The installs went fine. Then, almost immediately, Adobe Application Manager announced that it had updates for me. They appeared to be the very same security updates. I thought it odd that AAM didn't recognize that Illustrator and Photoshop were already up-to-date. So, thinking these might be additional updates, I ran them. Big mistake.

AAM ran and threw an error, saying it had failed to update Illustrator and Photoshop. In the process, it had broken Illustrator to where it couldn't even launch!

I restored Both Photoshop and Illustrator from a backup I had and now both are back at the versions before I first manually did the security update. AAM, though, no longer says there are updates for the two (though there obviously are). I'm a little skittish about re-applying the updates manually, though, as it appears, based on my experience, that AAM doesn't recognize any app updating done outside of its system.

Forum Links
Forum Rules