Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > TCP Dropout

TCP Dropout
dscottbuch
Oct 3, 2000, 07:51 PM

I'm running OSX PB on a Wallstreet G3/500. I've installed on the same partition as 9.04 and am consistantly experiencing the following problem.

After some time, not usually longer than 2 hours, I lose all TCP connections. I'm running 10 megabit with fixed IP on a local LAN. This link light stays on but I cannot ping anyone else on the network. The only way I've found to restore functionality is to shut down and restart. Loggout out does nothing.

I've tried this with minimal apps running. It still happens with only the Terminal and Browser running. I've tried both IE and Omniweb.

Has anyone else seen this?

I believe I have now traced this down to a failure of the DNSAgent. lookupd -statistics shows failures in the DNS host ip_address and DNS host name functions.

Also the /var/log/netinfo.log shows
DNSAgent: dns_fqdn_query_server - query failed for ......

or

DNSAgent: dns_fqdn_query_server - timout for ...........

--------
10/6/00

Finally traced this (to some extent) to an eventual failure of arp. This was then 'fixed' by moving the ethernet connection to a differenct switch. Now, the interesting thing is that OS9.04 worked just great on the first connection even though OSX was failing. There is something weak in the networking implementation/configuration.

I would greatly appreciate reports of any similar experiences.

------
Thanks

[This message has been edited by dscottbuch (edited 10-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dscottbuch (edited 10-06-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules