Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing 9.1 and keep using classic?

Installing 9.1 and keep using classic?
V
Senior User
Jan 9, 2001, 07:34 PM

Is there a way to do it?

Lunchbox
Jan 9, 2001, 08:38 PM

Yeah partition your drive and put 9.0.4 + OSX on one and 9.1 on the other.

griffman
Senior User
Jan 9, 2001, 08:38 PM

I'm not sure, but I know how I'm going to try. Use two system folders, on different partitions. The OS 9 on my OS X partition will remain at 9.04. I'll upgrade the main OS 9.04 partition to 9.1, and see if I can still get Classic to work (it should, I think, given that it's supposed to be using the 9.04 version on its partition).

If 9.1 is your only Classic OS, though, I don't think it will work unless you find yourself a newer build of OS X :-).

[heh - simultaneous post with Lunchbox; at least we agree! ;-) ]

-rob.

[This message has been edited by griffman (edited 01-09-2001).]
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

bleen
Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 03:51 AM

You can install a 9.0.4 then a 9.1 seperate copy, or you can just wait till March 24th, and then OS X will be able to use OS 9.1

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2001, 04:24 PM

or you can just wait till March 24th, and then OS X will be able to use OS 9.1
Or more correctly, OS9 will be "built into" OSX. Otherwise, new users wouldn't be able to run Classic apps without shelling out an additional $99 in addition to the $129 for OSX.

I wonder if you'll still be able to boot into OS9 if you have clean install of OSX (final)?
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

bleen
Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 04:47 PM

The classic System I don't think will change from the way it was in the Public Beta. I think it will detect what classic system you are running and use whatever installer it needs.

bruiser
Jan 11, 2001, 10:50 AM

My OS X is having issues with classic. I'm trying to get the best of all worlds and use 9.1 on one partition and OS X with 9.04 on another partition. Unfortunately, in the OS X classic preferences, the 9.1 is the only partition available. My 9.04 partition is grayed out. I did install the 9.04 after OS X, which is the only thing I did differently that I can tell -- anyone see what the problem might be?

bruiser

anothermacguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2001, 10:57 AM

bruiser, boot into classic, and using the system disk utility, choose the OS9 system disk on your X partition. Boot into that once, and then boot into X. You will be able to select it.

bruiser
Jan 11, 2001, 11:10 AM

Thanks anothermacguy. Worked perfectly!

bruiser

dscottbuch
Jan 11, 2001, 01:05 PM

I have four partitions. one partition with applications, one partition with data, one partition with OS 9.1 and one partition with both OSX PB and OS 9.0.4.

When launching classic from withing OSX PB the difficulty is that the OS goes to the 9.1 folder and then fails due to 9.1's incompatibility.

How do I point OSX PB at the 9.0.4 system on the OSX partition??

[This message has been edited by dscottbuch (edited 01-11-2001).]

JT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 12:52 AM

Ok...Sorry for the lack of tech expertise....Where do I put the system folder with OS 9.0.4 on the osx partition? Ihave installed 9.1 on the main partition.

Also....

Can I copy the sys folder from a bootable CD as the system folder on the OSX partition?

thanks for helping the confused!!!

JT

JT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 04:47 AM

I got it to work...

I installed a fresh copy of MacOS 9.0 on my OSX partition. I placed that in the MacOS9 folder and booted into OSX, then booted into the new OS9 folder, and back to OSX and selected the new OS9 folder in the System Prefs classic settings. Works like a charm. In fact, Classic in OSX is now much more stable and more OS9 apps are functional in OSX.

Ramble, ramble, ramble.

JT

Forum Links
Forum Rules