Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SERIOUS BUG regarding fsck/RAID and HFS+/netatalk or samba

SERIOUS BUG regarding fsck/RAID and HFS+/netatalk or samba
MauriceV
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2000, 03:28 PM

I want to let people know there are two issues with Mac OS X Server 1.2. There is no good reason to believe that the Mac OS X Beta is not similarly affected.

The first problem occurs when attemping to fsck a UFS volume. fsck will hang when executed. The problem occurs when using the Infortrend IFT-3102U2G RAID controller on a 400GB volume. This hang will occur even on a freshly-initialized disk in single-user mode. This problem may be related to the volume size and not the RAID controller (as I had previously believed). If you are using a relatively large disk or any type of hardware RAID, you should backup your data and then test whether a forced fsck works.

The second problem concerns HFS+. It happens when using netatalk or samba to copy very large files (>> 100 MB) to the server, which will cause the server (and hence the client) to stall. The larger the file the longer the stall. For example, a 760MB file stalls for about 46 seconds. For files about 1 GB in size, the copy can fail and the connection to the server lost! Under Apple File Services, this stall occurs only when the file copy is cancelled during mid-copy. This issue appears to occur on all HFS+ formatted volumes.

MauriceV  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2001, 01:50 PM

Bumped for those who missed this topic.

Some Mac Person
Jan 11, 2001, 11:17 AM

Why don't you bug this then and let Apple fix it. Shouldn't be that difficult of a fix for them to accomplish. Otherwise it is just a bug and they might never know since I doubt a ton of people are regularly fsck 400MB+ partitions

dscottbuch
Jan 12, 2001, 03:57 PM

I posted the following back in october. Is this related?

I've now repeatable created a kernal panic when copying either large files or a large number of files to an appletalk mounted system.

Specifics

Source System
- Firewire powerbook 500 Mhz
- OSX and OS 9 on same 6 GB partition
- 100 MBit connections

Target System
- Imac DV (400 MHz) running OS 9.0.4
- 10 GB drive
- 100 MB ethernet connection

No one is using the i-mac

It failed when copying a 500 MB file and also when copying a larger number (>4000) smaller files totaling about 700 MB.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules