Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Telnet program for OS X?

Telnet program for OS X?
gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2002, 07:35 PM

Hi,

I need telnet program to access my local library's database. Any suggestions as to the easiest ones to use? Has to be OS X native.

Thanks

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 07:36 PM

Terminal.app

then type : telnet ipadress

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2002, 07:42 PM

I thought this would work but I want it to connect when I click on a telnet link in IE such as:

telnet://catalog.cincinnatilibrary.org/

So, I need a helper app.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2002, 07:51 PM

I think Telnet is disabled by default these days in OS X, in favor of SSH. There's a file you can edit to enable it, but I can't remember its name.

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: Ron Goodman ]

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by gunnar:
<STRONG>I thought this would work but I want it to connect when I click on a telnet link in IE such as:

So, I need a helper app.</STRONG>
I'm sure there's something out there. Check http://www.versiontracker.com . I have to add another vote for Terminal.app, though. It really is the lightest-weight, nicest telnet app available for OS X. And the price is right.

Just copy and paste the server's address when you want to use telnet.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2002, 08:19 PM

<STRONG>I thought this would work but I want it to connect when I click on a telnet link in IE such as:

So, I need a helper app.</STRONG>
I think you just need to tell IE that Terminal is the helper app.
Go into IE Preferences and set Network&gt;Protocol Helpers so that
the telnet protocal helped is Terminal.

I just tried it - it worked for me.

Michael

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2002, 08:19 PM

I was able to connect fine to the cincinnati library as follows:

telnet catalog.cincinnatilibrary.org

kman

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2002, 08:37 PM

Yes, certainly the terminal program works, but let me rephrase the original requirements:

My grandmother wants to use the service.

She balks at telnet already. I don't want to make her type "telnet domain" too. Is there a 3rd party program that I can set as a helper so that when she clicks the link in IE, it opens the program and she's in? Even NCSA did this but it's long discontinued.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2002, 08:50 PM

<STRONG>Yes, certainly the terminal program works, but let me rephrase the original requirements:

My grandmother wants to use the service.

She balks at telnet already. I don't want to make her type "telnet domain" too. Is there a 3rd party program that I can set as a helper so that when she clicks the link in IE, it opens the program and she's in? Even NCSA did this but it's long discontinued.</STRONG>
Read this guy's reply:

I think you just need to tell IE that Terminal is the helper app.
Go into IE Preferences and set Network&gt;Protocol Helpers so that
the telnet protocal helped is Terminal.

I just tried it - it worked for me.

Michael
Sounds like that'll do what you want.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

BTP
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 08:54 PM

Have a look at RBrowser. Maybe that'll help if you need/want a 3rd party app.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2002, 08:55 PM

Actually, no, it just opens the terminal and says Welcome to Darwin! etc. She still will have to manually enter the address. I guess if there truly is no program available, then I can teach her to do this everytime.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2002, 09:08 PM

Doesn't the Cinci library have a web interface? Obviously not, or you wouldn't be asking the question. I just find it a bit amazing that in this day in age they haven't managed to put a web interface on their card catalog.

kman

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 09:14 PM

there's a telnet launcher program for os x that basically just launches the terminal app and opens the connection for you. it seems kinda useless to me but you may find some use for it. also if you're only connecting to one server then you can set an alias so that you can just type "library" and it would connect for you.

timster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2002, 09:15 PM

I dont know with 100% certainity, but I'm relatively sure Terminal app is applescriptable. I'm sure with some poking around w/ apple script documentation, you could probably whip together a simple script that would launch Terminal and send the proper strings to connect to the service. Then you can put hte script in the Dock and just have your Grandmother click away.

-tim[/LIST]

Scrod
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Ron Goodman:
<STRONG>I think Telnet is disabled by default these days in OS X, in favor of SSH. There's a file you can edit to enable it, but I can't remember its name.

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: Ron Goodman ]</STRONG>
Way to distort information and confuse someone. You'd have been better off not saying anything at all.
The telnet SERVER is disabled in Mac OS X and is replaced with an ssh [/b]SERVER[/b]. Now, unless you didn't read the initial post at all, you should know that he is asking about a telnet CLIENT. In other words, he wants something that will allow him to connect to a host via telnet.
I abused my signature until she cried.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2002, 09:26 PM

What about function keys in terminal.app? I need to map my function keys, but there is no obvious way to do so.

Lew
Senior User
Apr 28, 2002, 11:28 AM

You could always use a MUD client. I use one to access a telnet-based chat room and it's far better than using the terminal for that sort of thing. You get a separate window for text input and can cycle through past commands. The only one I'm aware of for OS X at the moment is Cantrip, which although still in development is quite good. More up-to-date betas can be found via the site's forum, btw.

Chris Allbritton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2002, 11:58 AM

hm. I set terminal.app as the helper in IE and then quit it. I then highlighted the URL telnet://catalog.cincinnatilibrary.org/ and chose the "Open URL in OmniWeb..." Service. It worked perfectly. Opened up the Cinci Library and everything. So I imagine it will do this in IE, too, when you click on a telnet link. Just try it. It works fine.
--
Chris Allbritton
Pismo 400MHz, 10.1.3, 384MB RAM

dscottbuch
Apr 28, 2002, 12:24 PM

This may be stupid question but how do you set the helper app for URLs. I know how to do this for files but not for something line telnet://

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules