Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The WORST BUG in MacOS X (Introduced by 10.1.5) was no network after sleep.

The WORST BUG in MacOS X (Introduced by 10.1.5) was no network after sleep. (Page 2)
Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2002, 08:46 PM

I have not experienced the problem myself (yet...fingers crossed)....but a post over at macfixit suggests simply deleting the com.apple.powermanagement.plist (and restarting) fixes the problem. (of course you then have to update your settings again).

has anyone tried this yet to see if it's a permanent fix?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2002, 09:05 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
<strong>I have not experienced the problem myself (yet...fingers crossed)....but a post over at macfixit suggests simply deleting the com.apple.powermanagement.plist (and restarting) fixes the problem. (of course you then have to update your settings again).

has anyone tried this yet to see if it's a permanent fix?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It didn't work for me after trying to reapply the 1.2 version of the Ethernet driver so I had to reapply my patch to get things working again.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2002, 09:27 PM

well, add me to the list.... G3 B/W 400. My En0 port is now inactive (and I don't even have sleep on. ). I can't ping my own ip (which is static on the network, I don't have broadband).
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

g. olson
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2002, 09:27 PM

This fix has been posted on versiontracker. I'm not having the problem, so I don't know whether it works or not:

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15103&db=macosx" target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15103&db=macosx</a>
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2002, 10:00 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by goMac:
<strong>well, add me to the list.... G3 B/W 400. My En0 port is now inactive (and I don't even have sleep on. ). I can't ping my own ip (which is static on the network, I don't have broadband).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">If you applied my patch, restart your computer and reset the PRAM by pressing Command (Apple) + Control + R + P).

[email protected]

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2002, 10:11 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by g. olson:
<strong>This fix has been posted on versiontracker. I'm not having the problem, so I don't know whether it works or not:

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15103&db=macosx" target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15103&db=macosx</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That link merly redirects to <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/redir.fcgi/kind=1&db=macosx&id=15103/nnasfp.pkg.sit" target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com/redir.fcgi/kind=1&db=macosx&id=15103/nnasfp.pkg.sit</a>

[email protected]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2002, 10:09 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by theolein:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by awaspaas:
<strong>Sorry its OT, but here's how the space pen was *really* developed:</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That's a good story. My sig is stolen, to be honest, from someone at /. I mostly didn't want it to be a an anti-NASA or anything kind of sig. I just kind of liked the idea that sometimes enormous amounts of resources can be wasted in basically reinventing the wheel. I could basically have posted something to the tune of not seeing the wood for the trees or something like that.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">The problem with the sig is that it simply isn't true, but not obviously so. It's an urban legend.
&lt;/off-topic&gt;

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2002, 10:29 AM

I'm here to add my computer to the list: G4 Sawtooth 400

Interestingly today was the first day I've ever woken up to find my network broken. Yesterday I started up in verbose mode for a diffrent reason, so when I went to restart I got the usual verbose mumbo-jumbo but for some reason I never got to "CPU halt", I just got into an infinite loop. Hard restart. Still no network. The second restart fixed it.

I turned off static IPs on my router yesterday. It seems that if my DHCP lease expires during sleep so does my network. Apple needs to fix this.

niji
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2002, 07:00 AM

the fix has been posted on the apple site.
it is to simply go to computer/library/preferences/apple.power management, and to delete that one pref file. restart.
rgds

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2002, 09:53 AM

Hmmm, oddly enough....I don't have that file on my PowerBook G4 667 DVI....

V0ID
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2002, 10:59 PM

The Apple 'fix' doesn't work for me.

<small>[ 06-14-2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: V0ID ]</small>

ahlawi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2002, 11:40 PM

well, the apple fix doesn't work for me either, nor does the other fix. even after zapping the pram. nothing works. damn.

dscottbuch
Jun 15, 2002, 12:22 AM

Just to add. Neither fix worked for me either. The 'trick' of having two locations defined in the network panel (one with the enet interface deselected) and swtiching A-B-A from the apple menu works fine as a work around. It only takes about 20 secs. Hope they fix this for real, soon.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Jun 15, 2002, 03:37 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by niji:
<strong>the fix has been posted on the apple site.
it is to simply go to computer/library/preferences/apple.power management, and to delete that one pref file. restart.
rgds</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That didn't work for me either on both my Airport iBook and wired G4 Cube.

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2002, 10:09 AM

I deleted the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist file last week when I first discovered the problem with the Network settings and connection vanishing after sleep. It didn't solve the problem. I deleted the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist a second time just to be sure, still dosen't solve the problem.
There has also been a suggestion that updating from OS 10.1.1 - 10.1.3 using the 10.1.5 combo update may fix the problem. I reformatted yet again, installed OS 10.1, applied the security and installer updates, ran fsck and ran Disk Utility from the OS X cd to make sure that this installation was ok, applied the 10.1.5 combo update and still the problem with maintaining Network connection and setting persists.

lnewton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2002, 10:23 AM

QS 733 I have had this problem once. Had gone to sleep with mozilla and IE open, as usual, and when awoke neither could find the network (cable modem via ethernet no router). quit both apps and relaunched them and voila off to the races.

On a bright note I have adaptec 2906 and I could not deep sleep in X until 10.1.5. Much prefer deep sleeping sans fan than light sleep with the blower going

<small>[ 06-15-2002, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: lnewton ]</small>
semper ubi sub ubi

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2002, 10:38 AM

I'm on a Pismo 400 and I've tried Apple's "solution", but it doesn't work.
What surprices me is that in the Network control panel, my computer seems to have all the info it needs from the (ADSL) router (all in one, router-modem-hub) ...

kennedy
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2002, 11:10 AM

And I'll my name to the list of people who have been experiencing this all along. I run a network of Macs (actually two... one at home and one at work). I have found if the client Macs go to sleep, they rarely see the network when they wake back up. We end up rebooting to revive them.

As a result, every Mac on both networks is set to Never Sleep!

Soooo, while the problem may be new for some of you with 10.1.5, it is not new to the OS. It would be interesting to figure out why it worked for some of you prior to 10.1.5. And, of course, it would be most appreciated by *all* of us if Apple would fix it in 10.1.6.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Jun 15, 2002, 03:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by kennedy:
<strong>And, of course, it would be most appreciated by *all* of us if Apple would fix it in 10.1.6.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I hope we don't have to wait that long for a fix.

foamy
Senior User
Jun 15, 2002, 04:03 PM

This what finally worked for me on my TiBook500 (I was not losing connectivity after sleep, but when moving my machine from on Ethernet connection..work..to another..home. I had to do the whole multiple location switcheroo thing about 5 times before I picked up a new DHCP lease.

In the Network preferences, select "Active Network Ports" in the drop down on the left. I removed the irda (since I don't use it) and then moved the Ethernet one to the *top spot* and applied the settings. Now when I move my machine I pick up a new address from the DHCP server instantly.

I hope that helps someone.

cdrgonzo20
Jun 16, 2002, 01:09 AM

at least they've fixed that... I've got a problem far more serious...This has only begun since the upgrade to 10.1.5... I have the following setup: G4 733, 512mb ram, geforce2 AGP, Radeon 7000 PCI, 2 60GB IBM's on main controller, SIIG ATA 133 driving a 100 GB.... I believe the Radeon is the culprit. Due to the fact that under OS X my computer fails to enter "deep sleep" as a result of the ATA board, I have my energy saver set to shut off the monitor after 5 minutes, and there is no seperate control checked for the system. Whenever the computer enters the sleep state after 5 minutes, if I wake it, then try to log out, the computer enters first the blank blue screen, then it enters a grey screen... the second monitor shows a severely fragmented grey screen. I have found no way to recover from this aside from hitting the restart button. It was frustrating enough losing the ability to put my computer into a true sleep (these things are power hogs! and slow to start up), and now on top of it all, the computer can't even enter a monitor sleep! Does anybody have a clue how to repair this problem.... Thanks!
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
-------------------------------------
My system specs:

2 furry caches
17" diaganol quad pumped weener
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR
overpriced, underperforming, but sleek nonetheless.

I also have a G4.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2002, 02:22 AM

See.

This is why I don't update the second it comes out

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2002, 07:20 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by niji:
<strong>the fix has been posted on the apple site.
rgds</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">My Mac has only had this problem once, so I'm lucky except that ping is not working properly. The fix above surprises me because it's only one of Apple's plist xml files and has to do with powermanagment. Deleteing will only create a new one on restart and I think you could just change some of the settings and it will be changed in any case. I don't think that is the problem. The problem seems to lie within the kernel somewhere, since people have reported doing all sorts of daemon restart (ifconfig, lookupd etc) and none of these things reliably helps. I got the message "ipconfig_getoption failed" at startup as well.

I still think the problem lies either with the kernel or one of the daemons that Apple updated in 10.1.5 such as lookupd etc.
weird wabbit

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2002, 08:27 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:
<strong>See.

This is why I don't update the second it comes out</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">So how long are you going to wait to upgrade? It has been a couple weeks now, is it safe now? The second has past! Fortunately, I have not been hit by this bug on any of my 4 Macs running OSX.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2002, 10:29 AM

Heh... this is your worst bug in 10.1.5? My Dual 1Ghz now has a _kernel panic_ every time it comes out of sleep.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

dscottbuch
Jun 19, 2002, 08:15 PM

This is still a major problem. Is there any more activity on fixes?

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2002, 04:10 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by dscottbuch:
<strong>This is still a major problem. Is there any more activity on fixes?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Apple will release a Network Update in a few days or so.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules