Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > External Video better, but not perfect in 10.1.3

External Video better, but not perfect in 10.1.3
dscottbuch
Feb 26, 2002, 06:08 PM

After installing 10.1.3 the external video on my powerbook G3 firewire was greatly improved. Before I could not make it work with a proxima 350 projector we have, now I can. Despite this I found one odd behavior.

First, let me explain how I use my system. On my desktop I have a radius 21" monitor. In normal use I have this monitor as my primary desktop with the PB display as and extra space. My menu bar is moved to the 21" monitor. The display is NOT set for mirroring. Normally this works great. I sleep the system and disconnect the external monitor and rewake the system and the menu bar is back on the PB display. I sleep the system and re-connect the external 21" monitor, rewake the system and all is back, including the menu bar on the 21" monitor.

The strange behavior starts when I now hook up the projector. I sleep the system, disconnect the 21" display, wake the system up to check all is OK as above, I then sleep the system, attach the projector and wake the system up. The projector sees a signal but it is just noise. The PB display has the menu bar but the first three upper right menu items keep refreshing. These are the clock, battery and sound. The display menu doesn't display and it is next in line. If I open the System Preferences and then choose Display it crashes.

After much experimentation I tracked this down to having the menu bar set on the 21" external display before switching to the projector. If I go back to the 21" display and move the menu bar back to the PB display before switching all is OK.

This is a rare bug. If you have an question please feel free to contact me

[email protected]

Thanks

Brass
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2002, 07:27 PM

I hope you've reported this bug to Apple?

dscottbuch  (op)
Feb 26, 2002, 08:28 PM

yep. I posted it there first but thought someone might be trying to wade through what was happening.

Forum Links
Forum Rules