Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can't get pictures onto ipod touch

Can't get pictures onto ipod touch
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 04:40 PM

I am trying to get 1 picture onto my ipod touch (8GB). Everything I try produces the error "was not copied because it cannot be played on this ipod" or "no pictures were copied because there's not enough room for your photos and albums" (there's 1000x more room than necessary for this one 100KB jpg; what is an album supposed to refer to?).

The picture is a jpg from Photo Booth.app. What gives?

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 04:42 PM

I also tried with a png from cmd-shift-4 and a jpg from GraphicConverter. What picture format does it need? They aren't high-res either, they're 640x480 or the png was only 170x220. Is it just a bug? What's the workaround?

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 05:52 PM

After searching around some more, I still haven't found the cause or fix, but a workaround seems to be emailing the file to oneself instead of syncing it. Worked in this case.

Have to say, for Apple to get music and video to work but fail in lowly image files, it really seems shamefully amateurish.

ibook_steve
Sep 1, 2010, 07:19 PM

Well, what steps are you using to try to sync the picture? Are you putting it in iPhoto or are you pointing iTunes to a folder where you have photos to sync?

You set up photo syncing from the Photos tab after you select your iPod from the devices list on the left in iTunes. What are your settings for photo syncing?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Well, what steps are you using to try to sync the picture?
This, and also dragging to the pod in iTunes from the finder (and all permutations of changing the path/extension and underlying image format):
set up photo syncing from the Photos tab after you select your iPod from the devices list on the left in iTunes.

What are your settings for photo syncing?
I tried all of them (video or no, sync or no, I forget if there were others). Actually I think I didn't try the Pictures folder because it was full of other pictures I didn't want to mess with.

I never thought of trying iPhoto, and I can't access the pod from where I am right now....

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2010, 08:50 PM

Don't blame the device for user error.

Use iPhoto and all will be well.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 09:29 PM

Where's iPhoto? Do you have to buy it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules