Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun...

World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun... (Page 4)
Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Alright, it's downloading! In 183 hours, I'll be ready.

Well, it won't take that long. BT likes to exaggerate like that.

Fingers crossed...
Nice! Just in time for the next phase to start and for everyone to redownload.

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 04:27 PM

For the name, I can't believe no one has suggested an alternate meaning for AFGM: A Few Good Macs. Just a suggestion, since I won't be able to play this game until I get a new system (quite a while).

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2004, 04:49 PM

Moof!

-Owl

-Q-
May 17, 2004, 12:07 AM

So where do you go to sign up for the guild? Is it the visitor center in Stormwind? (I hope not, I'm adventuring in the Dwarven mountains right now.)
And I'll see you in 183 hours Cipher.

Cipher13
May 17, 2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
So where do you go to sign up for the guild? Is it the visitor center in Stormwind? (I hope not, I'm adventuring in the Dwarven mountains right now.)
And I'll see you in 183 hours Cipher.
Tick... tock... tick...

I can't wait to send my Night Elf Hunter into battle (pretty sure she'll be a Night Elf Hunter... maybe a Rogue, or a Human Warlock).

-Q-
May 17, 2004, 10:55 AM

Tick... tock... tick...

I can't wait to send my Night Elf Hunter into battle (pretty sure she'll be a Night Elf Hunter... maybe a Rogue, or a Human Warlock).
Right now, the Hunter character class is under construction. No hunters for anyone.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2004, 12:48 PM

Sorry guys, my Sunday was completely taken up by work and other stuff that took precedence over WoW. I didn't get to play at all yesterday.

But today, after I get off of work, I will start the guild. When I figure out how the sign up works, I will post here and/or notify you via private message.

-Q-
May 17, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Sorry guys, my Sunday was completely taken up by work and other stuff that took precedence over WoW. I didn't get to play at all yesterday.
Work??? Have they no sense of priorities?

No worries. Let me know if I can help in any way.

And hey - where did you pick up your herbalism skill?

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2004, 02:32 PM

Work??? Have they no sense of priorities?

No worries. Let me know if I can help in any way.

And hey - where did you pick up your herbalism skill?
Yeah, work sometimes sticks it's big ole head into my fun. One of these days I'll chop off that big ole head with my 2-Handed Axe!

Actually, after this week, I will be on a 3 month "forced" break from work. I'm a contractor, and my employer cannot employ contractors for more than 9 months per year. So I get 3 months off every year. Its a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. But I will be on a serious WoW binge!

And herbalism... I got mine started from the trainer in Stormwind. Best thing about Stormwind is that its the only city (at the moment) where you can ask the guards for directions. So if you are in Stormwind, go to a guard and he/she will tell you where you can find the herbalism trainer. Otherwise, if you ask in the General chat channel, someone usually helps you out.

s0litude
Forum Regular
May 17, 2004, 02:43 PM

Is anyone playing WOW on a Powerbook AL 1.25 15"? Please let me know how it is... Thanks you lucky bastards.
Hi!

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
Is anyone playing WOW on a Powerbook AL 1.25 15"? Please let me know how it is... Thanks you lucky bastards.
I'm playing on something that might be similar (sort of). Here are my specs:

G4/500 Sawtooth (upgraded to 1.3GHz G4 via GigaDesigns card)
1GB RAM
GeForce3 (flashed PC card)
80GB boot drive
21" CRT Monitor

OK, so maybe its not that similar. I think my machine is close to the lowest specs one could play the beta on. I have all of the video options turned down or off, and run it at 800x600 (which is the lowest setting). I get good fps at those settings. Big fat areas with big fat amounts of polygons and action slow me down to a slideshow, but I'd say about 90% of the game is perfectly fine. Blizz has said that the game has yet to be optimized, so my current machine should be just fine when the game is released. But that won't stop me from getting a G5.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2004, 07:15 PM

Is it more of GPU-demanding than CPU-demanding? I'm hoping it's the former

Cipher13
May 17, 2004, 09:55 PM

Right now, the Hunter character class is under construction. No hunters for anyone.
Aww.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 06:28 AM

Alright, it's downloading! In 183 hours, I'll be ready.
How did you get into a US / Korean only-beta when your in Australia?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Is it more of GPU-demanding than CPU-demanding? I'm hoping it's the former
I play on both a dual 1.25ghz G4 with 64mb Radeon and also an 800mhz iMac with a GeForce2MX. Both are playable in fact... so I doubt you'll have problems. One important thing is to have enough RAM though... I played for a while on the dual 1.3ghz with 256 mb, realized that was the reason why it was laggy as hell, installed another 256 mb card, and it's all fine now.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 12:57 PM

I opened the guild last night. I ended up going with Clarus Coalition (I flipped a coin). I signed up Psiona last night, so I just need 9 more. So keep an eye out for me in the evenings. Send me a /w if you see me come online. I'll do the same.

Psi - Where did you go last night? We died about 5 more times before we gave up. But I have 2 orbs for ya if you need em.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 01:00 PM

I opened the guild last night. I ended up going with Clarus Coalition (I flipped a coin). I signed up Psiona last night, so I just need 9 more. So keep an eye out for me in the evenings. Send me a /w if you see me come online. I'll do the same.
Flipped a coin? I thought we made a group decision with "Reservoir DogCows"?

I know it got a lot more love than "Clarus Coalition".

Also, I've heard there is a bug with logging out with a charter. Supposedly you may have to get all of the signatures at once without leaving the server.

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 01:54 PM

Psi - Where did you go last night? We died about 5 more times before we gave up. But I have 2 orbs for ya if you need em.
Lol, I need 3

What happened was my Dad found me hunched over the comp at 2:30 in the morning "researching for my English paper" and I was carted off to bed. Grrr...

Anyway, I think we can try again in a few days Maroma, when I get to a higher level. I'm hoping level 20 will bring me a lot of cool new spells.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 12:08 AM

Ok, because of the possible bug I mentioned earlier, we are going to try something different. Everyone who wants to be a part of the guild needs to meet us at Stormwind on Thursday night/Friday Morning at 12 Midnight PST. There, we will all sign the charter for the Reservoir DogCows.

Please post here saying whether or not that time is good for you. If we get 10 people who say yes, the meeting will happen.

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
Ok, because of the possible bug I mentioned earlier, we are going to try something different. Everyone who wants to be a part of the guild needs to meet us at Stormwind on Thursday night/Friday Morning at 12 Midnight PST. There, we will all sign the charter for the Reservoir DogCows.

Please post here saying whether or not that time is good for you. If we get 10 people who say yes, the meeting will happen.
Ummmm that's at 3 in the morning EST. Ever think about that? Is there any reason it has to be midnight there?

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 08:24 AM

That's what I get for being tired.

I meant: 9PM PST which is 12AM EST. Thursday night/Friday morning.

Let's try this again: who's in?

Cipher13
May 19, 2004, 09:23 AM

That's what I get for being tired.

I meant: 9PM PST which is 12AM EST. Thursday night/Friday morning.

Let's try this again: who's in?
Installing as we speak!

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 10:25 AM

Since we barely have the 10 necessary to start a guild, I thought I would try and grab a few more Mac-heads to join us. Here are the threevthreads I posted on other boards:

MacRumors
AppleInsider
InsideMacGames

Note how I stayed away from SpyMac.

So, does that time work for anyone other than maroma and myself? We need to be able to get 10 signatures at around the same time. So, we need at least 8 more people to commit for tomorrow night.
( Last edited by Turias; May 19, 2004 at 01:34 PM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2004, 01:55 PM

so is that 10PM CST?

-Owl

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
so is that 10PM CST?

-Owl
That's 11PM CST. 9PM Pacific, 10PM Mountain, 11PM Central, 12AM Eastern.

Can you make it?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2004, 02:01 PM

I believe so.

Join the channel MacNN before then. SOme people will have to travel/show up late so everyone (despite being in the Guild) can talk to each other until we are all set

Or else, not. Might be silly to do so.

-Owl

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
I believe so.

Join the channel MacNN before then. SOme people will have to travel/show up late so everyone (despite being in the Guild) can talk to each other until we are all set

Or else, not. Might be silly to do so.

-Owl
Excellent idea. For those that don't know much about WoW channels, just type

/join MacNN

when you enter the game. Then type:

/<number of channel> <Message>

to communicate on that channel.

Then, we can all talk as we figure things out.

So, we're at 3/10 people so far. Let's get some more confirmations!

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2004, 03:23 PM

I'll be there!

As for the "bug", I don't think this is a bug at all. Blizzard did the exact same thing with creating Warcraft III clans. All 10 original members need to be online at the same time, in the same chat channel in order to create a WC3 guild. I don't see any reason why they'd change that for WoW.

Yes, it's very inconvenient, yet it probably helps reduce the number of 2 person guilds.
MacBook Pro

-Q-
May 19, 2004, 03:34 PM

Thursday at 12 AM ET? I'm there. Glad it wasn't 3 AM - you'd have one grumpy warrior in the guild if that were the case.

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 04:38 PM

Thursday at 12 AM ET? I'm there. Glad it wasn't 3 AM - you'd have one grumpy warrior in the guild if that were the case.
I can't join it then . I'd actually be better with 3 AM, cause at least then my dad wouldn't be around to check up on me.

I'll join up later guys. It'll be a great clan!

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 04:54 PM

Well, we're at 5/10, currently. We still need 5 more. You sure you can't sign on for 5-10 minutes, phillryu? If not, when's the earliest you can get on?

And what about everyone else? Cipher? Adam Betts? cSurfr? MaxPower? Psiona?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2004, 05:23 PM

Well, we're at 5/10, currently. We still need 5 more. You sure you can't sign on for 5-10 minutes, phillryu? If not, when's the earliest you can get on?

Still waiting for my account to be activated. Should be really soon

Psiona
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2004, 05:40 PM

Same with the account thing

Cipher13
May 19, 2004, 06:03 PM

I'm in. Just keep in mind, though, that at the moment I'm only a Level 3 Rogue - so making my way to wherever I'm going could be difficult by Friday.

I'll see if I can get to Stormwind on time.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 06:08 PM

I was accepted into the beta late last week but have not received any info from Blizzard on getting started. When I get the SW and can get in, I'll take part as well.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 06:24 PM

So with Cipher we've got 6. Can we eke out another 4 by tomorrow?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2004, 08:57 PM

Oy, I thought today was Thursday

I will be there, but not much longer after. Gotta work the next day

-Owl

Cipher13
May 19, 2004, 10:30 PM

So with Cipher we've got 6. Can we eke out another 4 by tomorrow?
By tomorrow? Damn. There's a Mac guild thread over in the WoW forums, maybe a couple from there?

I've only played WoW for an hour or two so far, so... I'm not sure I'll get to Stormwind on time, but I can try. I'll send you my username and charactername et al offline. Look for the Night Elf with the long blue hair, with Gene Simmons face paint.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 03:33 AM

Gaaak! I made it off the dark elf island, down the east continent, onto the west continent. Now I'm getting my trousers handed to me by some scrotum-tipped crocksilisks and jungle thunderers.

So now I am spending hours moving 3 steps, dying, then walking across the entire area to get to my body so that I can take 3 more steps. Woo hoo!

Outside of Blanka from Street Fighter, I have never, ever wanted to strangle a digital creation with my own bare hands more than I do now.

Cipher13
May 20, 2004, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower:
Gaaak! I made it off the dark elf island, down the east continent, onto the west continent. Now I'm getting my trousers handed to me by some scrotum-tipped crocksilisks and jungle thunderers.

So now I am spending hours moving 3 steps, dying, then walking across the entire area to get to my body so that I can take 3 more steps. Woo hoo!

Outside of Blanka from Street Fighter, I have never, ever wanted to strangle a digital creation with my own bare hands more than I do now.
Yeah, that's why I dunno if I'll make Stormwind by tomorrow... I've got uni all day, then I'll have to level up a bit before making my way down the coast

I'll try my best, but don't wanna end up in a similar predicament to that

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 08:50 AM

As long as you can make it to the human continent, I can probably find you. People can easily go between Stormwind and Khaz Modan. If you guys are somewhere outside of Khaz Modan, I can run to you.

I'll see if I can figure out how to get my human to your continent by tonight, just in case.
( Last edited by Turias; May 20, 2004 at 09:46 AM. )

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 10:02 AM

I'm down south, currently floating face down in a river in between Stranglethorn Vale and Westfall. I left Central Kalimdor from the city of Ratchet. The boat/teleporter took me to Booty Bay at the southernmost tip of Azeroth.

Does anybody know of an alternate route from Kalimdor to Northern Azeroth? Or if there is some sort of transport from Booty Bay to the northern cities? IF so, I'll gladly have death yank my body back there and start anew.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 10:03 AM

I can escort you out of Westfall. It's not at all far from Stormwind. But, yeah, if you under lvl 15, Westfall can be pretty painful.

-Q-
May 20, 2004, 10:14 AM

I can escort you out of Westfall. It's not at all far from Stormwind.
Thalduin, Escort-for-hire.

I'll see everyone tonight in Stormwind.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 10:41 AM

Rock on Turias! I am a lvl 11 Rogue. Exceedingly painful. I'll /w you when I get online tonight.

Edit: I cant spel teh names gud

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 10:53 AM

For tonight, we currently have:

Turias
maroma
-Q-
Cipher
OwlBoy
gbafan
MaxPower

That's 7.

phillryu? Can you make it on at any time, tonight?

Last night I may have found one more person on the. We'll see if he shows up. Otherwise, we can start scouring the land and spamming the General channel.
( Last edited by Turias; May 20, 2004 at 01:06 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 01:03 PM

I can also escort anyone who needs it. I should be on pretty early tonight, so if you see me online and need an escort, just /w me.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 02:33 PM

OK! After trying the walk 2 steps and die technique one more time, I had Mr. Death call my body back to Booty Bay. Then I headed back to the dock and jumped in the water. From there I swam all the way to stormwind! I only died once when I went sightseeing near a shipwreck. Darned murblogs!

At first I was going to just swim from point A to point B, but when you hit The Great Sea, you get a fatique meter. I can only assume this kills you when it reaches the end, so I hoofed it back to shallower waters. I'm currently chilling on the rocky coast west of Elewynn forest. It should be fairly easy to get the rest of the way there.

So count me in for the soiree!

Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower:
OK! After trying the walk 2 steps and die technique one more time, I had Mr. Death call my body back to Booty Bay. Then I headed back to the dock and jumped in the water. From there I swam all the way to stormwind! I only died once when I went sightseeing near a shipwreck. Darned murblogs!

At first I was going to just swim from point A to point B, but when you hit The Great Sea, you get a fatique meter. I can only assume this kills you when it reaches the end, so I hoofed it back to shallower waters. I'm currently chilling on the rocky coast west of Elewynn forest. It should be fairly easy to get the rest of the way there.

So count me in for the soiree!
Good show mate! Yeah, stay out of deep waters of the Great Sea. It will kill ya swiftly. Elwynn is a pretty friendly place. It is low level so the mobs aren't difficult to fight or run from. You should pick up some quests while you're there.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 20, 2004, 04:44 PM

You guys are reporting bugs right? It would pain me to get a buggy WoW and know that Mac users were having fun before I did instead of reporting the bugs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules