Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun...

World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun... (Page 7)
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 1, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Yose:
How long is the beta expected to run before the retail release comes about? This reminds me too much of what Mudding should have been for all those years. *drool*.
Mudding is still cool. MUDs allowed for pretty much infinite possibilities since it was so easy to add on to a world. If it didn't suck away all my free time and all my homework time when I was in high school, I'd still be mudding today. But I had to stop. :'(

But it's really nice to see 'graphical muds' now.

I'm for sure buying WoW. Not just because the mud idea was great but also because Blizzard is behind it. And Blizzard is one of the rare companies that actually cares about Macs and for that I am really, really grateful. They'll get my money for every game they release on Mac.

The support they show by making a carbon port of Diablo II and Starcraft and then releasing a native installer for these games is the best I've seen from any company.

I don't know why they do it. I don't know if they're profitable (well...D2 and Starcraft ports to OS X is out of kindness I suppose and they're not getting any money for it except from people that didn't buy the game on OS 9 but decided to buy it for OS X after the port was made) but I suppose I can find one conclusion to it all:

If a company makes a quality game and shows good support, they'll win Mac user's hearts easily.

Hateful companies like Valve, however, will never get my money.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 01:15 PM

I've made a temporary WoW icon using graphics from WoW Interface Arts but unfortunately the icon cannot be modified via .icns or you will not be able to log in. I think they did this to prevent cheaters. For now, you could copy-n-paste the icon over the app icon.

Download Here
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Jun 1, 2004 at 05:04 PM. )

-Q-
Jun 1, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I've made a temporary WoW icon using graphics from WoW Interface Arts but unfortunately the icon cannot be modified via .icns or you will not be able to log in. I think they did this to prevent cheaters. For now, you could copy-n-paste the icon over the app icon.

VERY nice. You should definitely forward that onto them...

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 05:38 PM

Nice icon, Adam. I've been fooling around with these, too, ever since the OS X games icon thread. This is the latest one I've done that I like. I'll clean it up and make a proper build of it tomorrow, if anyone is interested.

I'm not in the beta, so I have to sit around and make icons for it! Oh, well...

Seems like custom WoW app icons may be pointless, if you can't change them at the .icns level. Does it switch back to the .icns in the Dock every time you launch the app?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
Nice icon, Adam. I've been fooling around with these, too, ever since the OS X games icon thread. This is the latest one I've done that I like. I'll clean it up and make a proper build of it tomorrow, if anyone is interested.
Yeah go ahead and post them. I'd love to use that as it matches with other icons I have in the dock.

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
Seems like custom WoW app icons may be pointless, if you can't change them at the .icns level. Does it switch back to the .icns in the Dock every time you launch the app?
It seems to stick so far, even after restarting. Whew

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2004, 07:20 AM

It seems to stick so far, even after restarting. Whew
Great! That's good news. Here is the completed icon .

I updated the PNG above to reflect the finished version.

Enjoy!

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
If anyone would like to refer me to gte invited to beta feel free to PM me

I will love you forever
WoW, me too! If anyone has any connections at Blizzard and could possibly recommend a few MacNNer's that would be wonderful. (by the way I do Software QA for a living (7yrs))

Please PM me if possible.

Thanks!

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2004, 11:26 AM

Excellent icons both Dave and Adam! Certainly not fond of the default icon choice.
MacBook Pro

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 08:59 PM

If only I had the default icon to compare to... That'd be pretty in the dock...

Ciber
Jun 15, 2004, 08:01 AM

I just got a Rev C 12" PB, is there any way for me to sign up?

Thanks.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Ciber:

Thanks.
its on the blizzard main page...
I cant apply... stupid England!
If by luck some bored Blizzard developer is sitting at work, wishing he'd make my year. An invite to [email protected] would make your karma good.

How does WoW run on the G3s?
we don't have time to stop for gas

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 01:04 PM

Thanks.
MacBook Pro

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 06:40 AM

im hoping to join in the next 3 weeks - woo!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 10:03 AM

To all the MacNN'ers looking to join the beta:

I was invited into the beta by a Blizzard employee who reads these forums and saw my posts. Out of respect to him I will not post his name or email. Suffice it to say that if they need more players, I'm sure they know where to find you.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Ciber
Jun 16, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:

I was invited into the beta by a Blizzard employee who reads these forums and saw my posts. Out of respect to him I will not post his name or email. Suffice it to say that if they need more players, I'm sure they know where to find you.

That's good to know.

***Waves his "I want in!" flag***
( Last edited by Ciber; Jun 16, 2004 at 01:55 PM. )

calepeeples
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 06:35 PM

Anyone testing on an iBook g4? I'd love to get an idea of how this game runs.

For reference, I managed to play shadowbane for nearly a full year on my ibooks (g3 then g4) and felt it ran fine (meaning slow, but fun).

Can't wait to try out the UI scripting.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:

I think I know who he is Good guy!
MacBook Pro

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 02:04 PM

I unfortunatly signed up from work not knowing that it took my machine profile, I shoulda done if from my mac at home :/ better chances to get in I think

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 02:53 PM

I unfortunatly signed up from work not knowing that it took my machine profile, I shoulda done if from my mac at home :/ better chances to get in I think
I don't think that's the case. I'm pretty sure that they want to have a various system configurations, not just high-end machines.

Ciber
Jun 17, 2004, 08:36 PM

Tell me about it. I signed up using my old P4 rig... which i already sold.

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Jun 18, 2004, 09:51 PM

Tell me about it. I signed up using my old P4 rig... which i already sold.
This may or may not be clear but the platform selected there doesn't affect the odds of any one person getting in. It's more likely that if you entered system specs that were very far below the stated minimums that you would have been excluded.

Also note, everyone who downloads each Beta gets both Mac and PC installers. It really doesn't matter which path you get into Beta with, once you have an access code you can install the Beta on whatever machines you have handy, just that you can only play on one at a time.

Rob rbarris "at" blizzard.com (WoW "tigerclaw")

Ciber
Jun 19, 2004, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by rbarris:
This may or may not be clear but the platform selected there doesn't affect the odds of any one person getting in. It's more likely that if you entered system specs that were very far below the stated minimums that you would have been excluded.

Also note, everyone who downloads each Beta gets both Mac and PC installers. It really doesn't matter which path you get into Beta with, once you have an access code you can install the Beta on whatever machines you have handy, just that you can only play on one at a time.

Rob rbarris "at" blizzard.com (WoW "tigerclaw")

Well, then i really hope that i signed up with the P4 then... there's a very small chance i might of filled out the application with my thinkpad...

Thanks for the info.

entrox
Senior User
Jun 19, 2004, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by rbarris:
Really? I used to work in games development too, and our primary selection criteria were type of graphics card and prior experience with beta testing. At least my stuff rendered differently on a GeForce and Radeon, so we selected testers 50/50 based on that.

Oh well, I'm waiting for the European beta signup to begin. Should be cool.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 06:58 AM

I played Star Wars Galaxies for 2 months and grew tired of it real fast. SWG felt like EQ, just with a Star Wars theme.

I'm going to give WoW a chance. I think if all goes well with WoW, it may take away any chances of EQ2 having any success. Hopefully WoW Beta Phase 3 is coming soon.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
I'm going to give WoW a chance. I think if all goes well with WoW, it may take away any chances of EQ2 having any success. Hopefully WoW Beta Phase 3 is coming soon.
You don't have to worry. WoW is going to kick your ass so hard

WoW is causing a big impact on my daily life, really. When I work, all I think is "........WoW..........WoW..........WoW........ .."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 03:59 PM

I don't know why I found this so funny when I noticed it at the top of the Mac Games thread listing but...

Just thought I would share

-Owl

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 05:27 PM

no invite here

Ciber
Jun 20, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Peter:

no invite here

I feel your pain, brother!

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 09:53 AM

You don't have to worry. WoW is going to kick your ass so hard

WoW is causing a big impact on my daily life, really. When I work, all I think is "........WoW..........WoW..........WoW........ .."
We must regain control of our minds!

But it is so difficult...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
We must regain control of our minds!

But it is so difficult...
Either that or surrender totally in mind and body!

Maharaja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 10:07 PM

New phase 3 beta testers emails are out! i just got mine. See you all in game. I am so excited.

Ciber
Jun 21, 2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Maharaja:
New phase 3 beta testers emails are out! i just got mine. See you all in game. I am so excited.

I got nothing...

Think i applied with one of these two emails:

[email protected]
[email protected]

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 11:39 PM

Can't be. My invite didn't show up.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 05:55 AM

just got mine
screw work! 4Kb/s ... how big is the client? :/

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 06:20 AM

just got mine
screw work! 4Kb/s ... how big is the client? :/

The B/T installer is just under 2 MB, the phase 3 download is just over 2 Gig.

I am currently d/ling at 55kb/s... 35% of the way through. Another 7 hours to wait! It'll be ready with perfect timing after the football for a spot of all night gaming! And I have the next 3 weeks off work too! W00t!

Been reading up on characters and stuff, looks like I may play a mage of some sort first off...

Be sure that if we can, us newbs all email each other our character names/or add them to the character list thread, may make things easier if we can help each other out in game...

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 06:39 AM

Bah!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:

The B/T installer is just under 2 MB, the phase 3 download is just over 2 Gig.

I am currently d/ling at 55kb/s... 35% of the way through. Another 7 hours to wait! It'll be ready with perfect timing after the football for a spot of all night gaming! And I have the next 3 weeks off work too! W00t!

Been reading up on characters and stuff, looks like I may play a mage of some sort first off...

Be sure that if we can, us newbs all email each other our character names/or add them to the character list thread, may make things easier if we can help each other out in game...
how are you downloading it so fast?! I am only getting 12Kb/s

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 08:14 AM

how are you downloading it so fast?! I am only getting 12Kb/s
Don't know... most things are very fast on my connection... I just count myself lucky and keep tight lipped about it! I can usually get well over the ADSL high end 512 speed limit!

I think it has to do with the fact that I am in a small village that has only recently had broadband activated, when combined with the fact that the only other people who live here are old and don't have ADSL, it must give me great contention rates or something!

Oh, and I use an router in direct violation of my providers recommended specs... it shows up as a 800+ MB service they are providing!

52% done! 5 hours to go!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 08:24 AM

at least I got the beta, even if it is slow.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 08:41 AM

Congratulations, everyone who got in! Don't worry too much about the download. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but letting it go overnight usually does the trick. The downloader is still in beta, too, and at least it makes it much less expensive for Blizzard to distribute.

Cipher13
Jun 22, 2004, 09:00 AM

its on the blizzard main page...
I cant apply... stupid England!
If by luck some bored Blizzard developer is sitting at work, wishing he'd make my year. An invite to [email protected] would make your karma good.

How does WoW run on the G3s?
Originally posted by calepeeples:
Anyone testing on an iBook g4? I'd love to get an idea of how this game runs.

For reference, I managed to play shadowbane for nearly a full year on my ibooks (g3 then g4) and felt it ran fine (meaning slow, but fun).

Can't wait to try out the UI scripting.
I run it on my iBook G3. The framerate is low, though acceptable; I've gotten used to it.

In places like Stormwind City, I only get around 4fps usually. That said, I don't spend much time in the big cities... so it's all good.

All of you guys... don't forget to sign up with the guild

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 10:16 AM

The Placid Casual, bit torrent has sped up, its now downloading at 100Kb/S
I'll be playing in 8 hours

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 10:46 AM

The Placid Casual, bit torrent has sped up, its now downloading at 100Kb/S
I'll be playing in 8 hours

See you there! Only 2 hours left here!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 11:01 AM

and bit torrent just crashed
back to 10Kb/S

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 12:52 PM

25 mins...

*bites nails having heard Peters plight*

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 08:35 PM

been downloading this since last night and still have 3 hours left...grr

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 09:20 AM

got on this morning for about 10 minutes, did one quest (go meed the barkeep)

other than that I am completely lost lol

running this on the 12" is tough, will hopefully have better luck on my PC tonight (it took 12 hours longer to download on that) will probably use that till my new Powermac shows up.

anyone have some tips on what I should do to start off?

I made a human paladin

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 09:38 AM

got on this morning for about 10 minutes, did one quest (go meed the barkeep)

other than that I am completely lost lol

running this on the 12" is tough, will hopefully have better luck on my PC tonight (it took 12 hours longer to download on that) will probably use that till my new Powermac shows up.

anyone have some tips on what I should do to start off?

I made a human paladin
Go meet the barkeep? Didn't you hang around the abbey for a while and do some quests there?
( Last edited by Turias; Jun 23, 2004 at 10:29 AM. )

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 09:51 AM

abby? no, it was a little choppy on my 12" and I was in a hurry...guess I need to backtrack eh

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 09:53 AM

Heh, no wonder you're lost.

When your character first entered the world, there should have been someone right in front of him that would start him on his first quest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules