Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun...

World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun... (Page 8)
videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 10:24 AM

missed that guy :/

had 10 minutes just ran around basically lol, now how to get back there?

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 10:30 AM

Check your map (hit M). It's northeast of Stormwind, surrounded my mountains. Look for the abbey. The guy with the quest is standing right outside.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 10:34 AM

thanky tonight should be intresting

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
25 mins...

*bites nails having heard Peters plight*
oh my god.
Dont ask.
Bad news.
Shitty Microsoft Outlook.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
thanky tonight should be intresting
Make sure to message Thalduin (me), Fluke, or maroma to get into the guild! You are on the PvE server, right?

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 11:05 AM

I am on the one that is not PvP, and if I remember correctly there were only 2

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 11:08 AM

I am on the one that is not PvP, and if I remember correctly there were only 2
Perfect.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 12:11 PM

no, it was a little choppy on my 12" and I was in a hurry...guess I need to backtrack eh
Told ya the 12" PB wasn't going to cut it this push Rob said that they're working on a patch for a little relief but more than likely we'll have to wait for Apple to release the new drivers in 10.3.5 because the one's in 10.3.4 are buggered.

Figures.
MacBook Pro

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 12:25 PM

oh well, will be on the peecee then, that kinda sucks

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 06:21 AM

can you invite me into your guild thingy?

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 01:06 PM

I played for about 2 hours last night (on the pc...blah) got to level 7 Will hook up with the clan tonight when I get a chance, just running around killing things and doing some of the small quests...

dying alot, one on one is easy fights with things one or 2 levels above you, but whenever there are more than one against me, it's tough, and things chase you forever!

fun stuff, but so much to learn, I have played asherons call for 5 years, and hard to break old habits...I was hitting alot of the old keys from it last night lol

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 11:25 PM

tried to find yah tonight, don't think you were logged on

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 09:42 AM

I played for about 2 hours last night (on the pc...blah) got to level 7 Will hook up with the clan tonight when I get a chance, just running around killing things and doing some of the small quests...

dying alot, one on one is easy fights with things one or 2 levels above you, but whenever there are more than one against me, it's tough, and things chase you forever!
Yeah, you need a tank. If I'm online and you see me (Krasher) I can tank for you so you can build some experience. My guy is level 20 and can take a hit pretty well. I'm 4 skill points away from dual wield, so I'm gonna be kicking butt very soon.

Hey, if anyone can spare a little bit of copper or silver bars/ore, I am SO close to blacksmithing at level 100 (I think I'm at 96), I'd LOVE to get there and make you guys some nifty stuff.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Ciber
Jun 25, 2004, 09:46 AM

fun stuff, but so much to learn, I have played asherons call for 5 years, and hard to break old habits...I was hitting alot of the old keys from it last night lol

I played Asheron's call for 3 years. What was your name there?

-Q-
Jun 25, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Hey, if anyone can spare a little bit of copper or silver bars/ore, I am SO close to blacksmithing at level 100 (I think I'm at 96), I'd LOVE to get there and make you guys some nifty stuff.
I have some copper ore that you're welcome to - just message GaretJax tonight. The wife is out of town for a week, so I can get some serious game time in.

And what needs to be at 100 to get dual wield?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
I have some copper ore that you're welcome to - just message GaretJax tonight. The wife is out of town for a week, so I can get some serious game time in.

And what needs to be at 100 to get dual wield?
Thanks, I'll get that copper from you tonight, or you can just send it via the postal system to "Krasher".

My guy is level 20, which was required for dual-wield on a warrior. I need 75 skill points to learn the skill, but I am about 6 short at the moment.

The level 100 is required for my blacksmithing skill to make IronForge plate and other nifty items, hence the need for copper and silver ore/bars. Either ore or bars work for me for the blacksmith part, but if I get ore I can work on my miner skill smelting at the same time.

-Q-
Jun 25, 2004, 02:06 PM

Thanks, I'll get that copper from you tonight, or you can just send it via the postal system to "Krasher".

My guy is level 20, which was required for dual-wield on a warrior. I need 75 skill points to learn the skill, but I am about 6 short at the moment.

The level 100 is required for my blacksmithing skill to make IronForge plate and other nifty items, hence the need for copper and silver ore/bars. Either ore or bars work for me for the blacksmith part, but if I get ore I can work on my miner skill smelting at the same time.
How convenient - I just picked up the mining skill. I'll be happy to feed you ore until you say 'stop'. And look for it in the post - been wanting to try that.

And dual-weild at level 20 huh? Excellent. I'm halfway to 19 to it gives me something to shoot for. Damn this addictive game...

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 02:13 PM

Ciber, I was Videian on thistledown server, monarch of 2500+ for a few years.. had to hand over the allegiance a while ago, time became short for me

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 10:47 AM

How about we all meet up in the PVP server?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 08:14 PM

Anyone tried running the beta on a G4 iBook 1ghz?...

I am so tempted by one as I have seen a *very* good deal (over �200 off), and it would be handy to play WOW on the move (work , and well um, check my email and stuff!).

Only problem is that I don't know how it will run, or if I will be really disappointed after running it on my Dual G5... Well I will be disappointed obviously, but you know what I mean... will it be playable?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 08:17 PM

I am so tempted by one as I have seen a *very* good deal (over �200 off), and it would be handy to play WOW on the move (work , and well um, check my email and stuff!).

Only problem is that I don't know how it will run, or if I will be really disappointed after running it on my Dual G5... Well I will be disappointed obviously, but you know what I mean... will it be playable?
P.S. I'll mail any ore I get to you guys, I have no need for it...

(I'm 'Sosume', lv15 Night Elf Rogue in the guild!)

deadpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 06:58 PM

I'm interested to know how it runs also.. I seem like a bit of a lurker here but I'm in the macnn irc channel most of the time.
-- Hamburger. The cornerstone of every
nutrious breakfast

TheDeathman
Jun 30, 2004, 08:39 PM

Everyone add Deathorc to your friend list on the PvP server horde faction

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2004, 05:31 AM

I have a friend who runs the beta on their G4 iBook 800, and having sat down on his machine anrd tried it out, I can say that it's extremely playable and seems to run fine, except in game zones where there are many other players concentrated in a small space (in the first zone of the big human city, for instance). I've heard people here discuss this same effect. He told me when there are fewer players logged in and playing there, those areas run much smoother.

What I wonder is this: is it processor intensive in these areas, or is it bandwidth intensive? Serverside or clientside - where is the bottleneck? Because the game seems to run fine for him otherwise, and we discussed whether going from a 1Mbit to a 10Mbit broadband connection would alleviate this...

I have a G4 800 iBook also, so I am really hoping it's bandwidth-related.

ps - I love my iBook and have not regretted buying it for a second. It's great - go for it!

deadpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 08:13 AM

Just signed up for euro beta there, hope to get in
nutrious breakfast

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by deadpuppet:
Just signed up for euro beta there, hope to get in
Count me in the hoping too

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
I have a friend who runs the beta on their G4 iBook 800, and having sat down on his machine anrd tried it out, I can say that it's extremely playable and seems to run fine, except in game zones where there are many other players concentrated in a small space (in the first zone of the big human city, for instance). I've heard people here discuss this same effect. He told me when there are fewer players logged in and playing there, those areas run much smoother.

What I wonder is this: is it processor intensive in these areas, or is it bandwidth intensive? Serverside or clientside - where is the bottleneck? Because the game seems to run fine for him otherwise, and we discussed whether going from a 1Mbit to a 10Mbit broadband connection would alleviate this...

I have a G4 800 iBook also, so I am really hoping it's bandwidth-related.
Rob Barris (tigerclaw) mentioned on WoW forum that they're working on heavily optimizing WoW now

deadpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 02:52 PM

"Count me in hoping too"

Good luck 3 weeks is a long time to wait
nutrious breakfast

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 11:46 AM

My blacksmith skills continue to improve. I can make:

1) 9 dps bronze shortsword (main hand)
2) 13.7 dps bronze warhammer (2 handed)
3) 14.3 dps bronze greatsword (2 handed)
4) Silvered bronzed boots - 43 armor, +2 stamina
5) Patterend bronze bracers - 28 armor
6) Rough bronze shoulders - 42 armor
7) Rough bronze leggings - 44 armor
8) IronForge Breastplate - 54 armor, +1 fire resistance, +2 stamina

I can make lesser items as well. If you need any of these, just PM me for the requirements either here or in game. Mostly I need tin or bronze, some require tigerseye too.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 01:23 PM

Arkham, what do you need to craft me one of these?

2) 13.7 dps bronze warhammer (2 handed)

I will try to collect what yah need and mail it to you

I have a serious lack of a decent weapon...lvl 19 now using same weapon forever

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2004, 03:27 AM

new patch is out!

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 04:15 AM

I think there must of been an error in Blizzard's beta system because my invite wasn't sent out.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
I think there must of been an error in Blizzard's beta system because my invite wasn't sent out.
There were no new invites with this patch.

But I did see the auctioneer in Booty Bay! Wahoo! Got a rare 10dps either-hand shortsword to sell that I saw go for 1.1g the other day.

As soon as I get 4 pieces of Medium leather (can probably buy them tonight), I'll make those cool heavy bronze maces for Silverlocks and Videian. Thanks for the Agate, Zaeon, I couldn't make them without it!
( Last edited by Arkham_c; Jul 8, 2004 at 01:06 PM. )

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 10:55 AM

I might have some leather, (I think it's light) will check tonight (won't be on till later tonight tho)

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 01:05 PM

I might have some leather, (I think it's light) will check tonight (won't be on till later tonight tho)
My skinning skill is level 102, so I can get light leather, light hide, and sometimes medium hide. I occasionally get medium leather too, but I don't have any at the moment.

In any case, I've got about 50s, so I should have no trouble buying some. I'm going skinning tonight in the hordelands if anyone wants to come. They've got giraffes, dinosaurs, and lions there just begging to be skinned

Edit: Here is the 1h mace we're talking about:

http://www.goblinworkshop.com/item.html?ItemID=558

I love that site! They don't have the bronze warhammer though. Guess I should submit it to them so they can add it. I've also got a really nice recipe once I get to level 145 that I can learn (bought it for 85s).
( Last edited by Arkham_c; Jul 8, 2004 at 01:15 PM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2004, 02:40 PM

anyone as horde on pvp server - I urgently need tin ore.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
anyone as horde on pvp server - I urgently need tin ore.
Thankfully, with the new patch, only 1 tin bar and 1 copper bar are needed to make 2 bronze bars.

That being said, anyone on PvE with extra tin, send it my way!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Thankfully, with the new patch, only 1 tin bar and 1 copper bar are needed to make 2 bronze bars.

That being said, anyone on PvE with extra tin, send it my way!
yeah, I need about 20 tin bars to make some bronze. I have 130 points in engineering - so close to making sheep!!!!

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 03:21 PM

arkham, I also have a shadow gem I got lucky on last night so if you need that as well.. you gave me 2 options the other night,, can you tell me what you can make for a lvl 20-22 in the way of one handed and 2 handed maces?

maybe pm me or something

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 03:26 PM

arkham, I also have a shadow gem I got lucky on last night so if you need that as well.. you gave me 2 options the other night,, can you tell me what you can make for a lvl 20-22 in the way of one handed and 2 handed maces?

maybe pm me or something
The choices are:

13.7 dps bronze warhammer (2 handed)
11.6 dps heavy bronze mace (1 handed)

I was going to make you the second one, but I'll hold off until I hear from you. I can also make weightstones (course and sharp) which will increase the damage of either of those for 30 minutes.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 03:30 PM

definatly the second one I can make the weightstones as well, working on getting my smithing up there...sloooowly

I am not sure if I will be on tonight...will look you up soon

trying to get a party toegether to get this

http://www.goblinworkshop.com/item.html?ItemID=3229

the quest takes a while, but it's an incredible weapon for that level

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 02:21 AM

Okay I have to say this game looks awesome. I haven't been doing much gaming this summer (too busy working and such). I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this around christmas time (or earyler depending on when they launch).

Now my only question is if I should get it for my PC desktop (AMD 512k L2/2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, Radeon 9800/128mb, 7200rpm HDDs, etclll) or to get it for the PB I'll be ordering in a few days (15" 1.5, 512mb... will be 1.25+ by xmas, 5400rpm, Radeon 9700/128mb...

LOL decisions decisions... It would be awesome to be able to "take a break" and play this on my PB in the library!

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 09:27 AM

I am playing on a 12" rev b, it "works" just not so well in certain places, you should be fine tho, 500mhz more and a much better vid card.. the optimizations that came out this last patch helped alot, so it will only get better

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2004, 02:00 PM

I am playing on a 12" rev b, it "works" just not so well in certain places, you should be fine tho, 500mhz more and a much better vid card.. the optimizations that came out this last patch helped alot, so it will only get better
Hmmm. I'm playing on my rev b as well and I'm getting ~25fps in outside areas. Too me this is excellent considering it's very smooth. Yes, towns are very lagged, Stormwind mainly, and the texturing problem is annoying (in SW) but I guess I've just learned to deal with it

The only real bad part of the game is the Trade District in Stormwind, the textures flash A LOT but this is a driver issue not really a game issue. It will be fixed at some point so I don't worry about it too much. Once I move to another area, like Mage District, Old Town, etc the flashing goes away.

I know of people playing on G3 iBooks with the Radeon 32MB cards and they seem to play fine. Those who require a constant ~50FPS in a MMO are just asking way too much. Every MMO I've ever played has lagged in high traffic player character areas, that's just the way it is.
MacBook Pro

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
I know of people playing on G3 iBooks with the Radeon 32MB cards and they seem to play fine. Those who require a constant ~50FPS in a MMO are just asking way too much. Every MMO I've ever played has lagged in high traffic player character areas, that's just the way it is.
Huh? Most PCers are getting around 70FPS outside and 40FPS in SW

It isn't just asking way too much.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Huh? Most PCers are getting around 70FPS outside and 40FPS in SW

It isn't just asking way too much.
Dude, in SW last night I was getting about 5fps, and that's on a dual 2GHz G5 with a 9800 Pro 256MB and 1GB of RAM. My CPUs were not pegged, so the problem is elsewhere. I have a hard time believing it was on my end -- I think the server just can't handle it. Kind of how you can't do a trade on the bank steps when there are 100 people standing around. You have to go upstairs in a building to get it to work.

Most of the time I get about 50-60fps outside, with peaks up to 100fps. The latest patch seems to have undone the damage to performance caused by the 3rd push, but it's still too slow.

Alas, I must be the only guild member with a gun, because the gunfire animation is totally hosed in this patch. It fires sideways and behind, and yet the target gets hit. I bugged it right away.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2004, 02:44 PM

Dude, in SW last night I was getting about 5fps, and that's on a dual 2GHz G5 with a 9800 Pro 256MB and 1GB of RAM. My CPUs were not pegged, so the problem is elsewhere. I have a hard time believing it was on my end -- I think the server just can't handle it. Kind of how you can't do a trade on the bank steps when there are 100 people standing around. You have to go upstairs in a building to get it to work.

Most of the time I get about 50-60fps outside, with peaks up to 100fps. The latest patch seems to have undone the damage to performance caused by the 3rd push, but it's still too slow.
Ah the joys of owning the latest and greatest

There is on going performance improvements, that will continue, obviously.

As for the PC world, meh, I don't play on one so that is not my concern. The game works, I play, I'm happy. Everything else is icing on the cake.
MacBook Pro

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
Now my only question is if I should get it for my PC desktop (AMD 512k L2/2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, Radeon 9800/128mb, 7200rpm HDDs, etclll) or to get it for the PB I'll be ordering in a few days (15" 1.5, 512mb... will be 1.25+ by xmas, 5400rpm, Radeon 9700/128mb...

LOL decisions decisions... It would be awesome to be able to "take a break" and play this on my PB in the library!
I'm guessing it will ship on a hybrid CD/DVD so you won't have to make that decision
MacBook Pro

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2004, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:

The main issue is client side. The client needs to be aware of every moving object in view in order to process their location in relationship to themselves. When turning down the object draw distance, you will see an improvement as the client has less objects to keep track of.

Use this command in the WoW terminal to see this effect in action:

unitDrawDist
--> Usage: unitdrawdist <20-150>
Description: Sets the unit draw maximum distance.
MacBook Pro

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2004, 03:43 PM

no.
the main problem is its a beta game.

Forum Links
Forum Rules