Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Any definitive answer? 3G upgrades on current iPhone 3G

Any definitive answer? 3G upgrades on current iPhone 3G
Bearsfan34
Apr 21, 2009, 10:16 AM

Am just wondering...as I've read conflicting reports across the web...in regards to AT&T's 3G network upgrade to 7.2MBPS...

Will these faster speeds (once implemented) be accessible on the current iPhone 3G? I've read some say "No, you'd need a faster chipset in order to have access to these speeds, (i.e. the new iPhone we expect Apple to announce this June)" while others say "Accessing AT&T's new faster 3G network can be done on the current generation of iPhone 3G with a simple software (3.0?) upgrade."

So I know this is still the internet, and everyone has an opinion...but I'm wondering if anyone here can link to a "definitive" answer one way or the other.

This isn't a "dealbreaker" necessarily for me; I get 5 bars of 3G at my house, plus there's wifi; but I'm just curious about this...and am quite far from being an expert on mobile phone technology...or anything, really.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2009, 11:35 AM

I think you answered it yourself, there is no definitive answer since the product is not out yet but the consensus is the increased speed is the result of a new chipset.

The new phone probably won't be out until June maybe later, so if you can wait till then by all means, if not, then get one now. I bought my iphone last december and I've not regretted it once. I realize a faster more feature filled upgrade is due, but that's the case with any technological device. The current iPhone exceeded my expectations and far surpassed my needs.

bottom line, if you need one now, get it now, and enjoy it, if not hold off for a few months and get the updated unit
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules