Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So, I am Being Evicted...

So, I am Being Evicted...
freudling
Banned
Feb 5, 2006, 05:39 AM

I came home tonight after another long day at work (6am - 11pm) daily. The table was filled with my 2 roomates and my landlord. They were just staring at me. I have been here exactly 1 month and have barely been home, so we all don't know each other very well. I slipped the rent under my landlords door, who lives downstairs, late on 1 Feb 06, but it was on 1 Feb 06.

She served me an eviction notice, which states that I have 10 days, but if I pay the rent that is listed within 5 days of the notice, the notiice will be void. I was surprised because I in fact paid her on the first. She denied receiving the money and told me that my roomates also just weren't feeling the vibe from me. Well, it is a bit of a hippy house. The first week I moved in, the girl roomate wanted to sleep with me and I denied her. I then heard her crying in her room because I rejected her. She is very passive aggressive and has been a bit hostile toward me since. I am a business man living with hippies, so perhaps that just is the problem.

Anyway, as for my eviction, I came upstairs, read it, and then went down to talk to my landlord. I said sorry for giving her the rent at the end of the day as my work kept me late and I had no way of getting her the cash that she so desires. She told me that she wants the number of my supervisor at work, and letters of reference before she will aknowledge payment of the rent. In other words, she is refusing to take the money that I have already given her, so she has a leg to stand on regarding the eviction notice. She wants to know more about me because she thinks I am a drug dealer, which is so far from what I really do. She accused me of the latter, and denies receiving the money. She then came up stairs about 20 minutes later and said, in front of my roomates, that she just found the money "it magically appeared". She then accused me of slipping it under the door that night. She also said that she missed her mortgage payment because of me. I do not believe that. Loan payments have a grace period and she would be stupid to have her payment on the 1st of the month, since checks take time to clear.

MACNNERS to the rescue!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2006, 06:28 AM

That sounds like a nightmare you have on your hands. For those with legal experience in this area (tenant rights), it would be good to let everyone know which state you're in. You may have legal remedies available. But you should definitely start preparing to move out - that living situation does not appear to be destined for long term success.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

thesunisgone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 06:47 AM

Get your money back, then move out quickly. Then be happy that you don't live amongst A$$HOLES.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 07:25 AM

Just curious. I mean, somebody had to ask eventually... How did you come to be involved in this living situation?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 07:29 AM

IMO those people sound kinda psycho. MB its a sign that they want you to move out?
Here is an idea, find a place of your own and interview and choose your own room mates.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 08:38 AM

I say you go Jack Bauer on them and then you'll have the place to yourself.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2006, 09:27 AM

Hmmm... Since I've never been in this situation I can't offer any advice for the present. However, I've never been in this situation because I observe the following rules:

1) Don't live with hippies.

2) Don't give money to anyone without getting a receipt for it there and then.

3) Don't live with hippies.

4) Don't live with anyone who isn't family (or you aren't trying to start a family with) or isn't a supermodel with an aversion to clothing.

5) Don't live with hippies.

6) There is no rule 6.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 09:29 AM

I think I'll pass on having a roommate this summer...

jcadam
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by freudling
The first week I moved in, the girl roomate wanted to sleep with me and I denied her. I then heard her crying in her room because I rejected her. She is very passive aggressive and has been a bit hostile toward me since. I am a business man living with hippies, so perhaps that just is the problem.
Was she fugly or something?
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 10:22 AM

You could fight it, or you could bail and feel good that you are away from those losers. Do whatever you feel is best.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Feb 5, 2006, 10:24 AM

If it's in Massachusetts and if you had to put down a security deposit, then move out, but ensure you get your interest on the security deposit, and have her prove it was in an interest bearing account. Nobody ever does, but in front of a housing judge it's automatic triple damages(triple your security) if she didn't. Landlords when asked if they put the cash in this type of account usually get the deer in the headlights thing going on.

Nice way to stick it to her, but then again, you may require a reference in your quest for a new apartment.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 10:25 AM

Depending on your economic situation and where you are (state), I'd first think about moving out - then going after the scumbag of a landlord...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 5, 2006, 10:32 AM

I slipped the rent under my landlords door, who lives downstairs, late on 1 Feb 06, but it was on 1 Feb 06.
I hope you use cheques.

I am a business man living with hippies, so perhaps that just is the problem.
Yeah, I'd say that might be an issue.

Originally Posted by jcadam
Was she fugly or something?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Feb 5, 2006, 10:41 AM

You really
need to move.
Right away.

Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 10:55 AM

I'd bang that chick. Then I'd throw the landlady a bang while i was at it. Then I'd get the fcuk out of that miserable hole.

meelk
Baninated
Feb 5, 2006, 10:57 AM

You *never* pay rent without getting a receipt, and keeping track of it, and never giving anyone else anything but a copy of that if requested (except the courts of course). If the receipt is something totally generic, the person in charge of payments signs it for you.
why the hell are you a businessman living with hippies? did a warning bell not go off somewhere along the line before you moved in?

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 11:06 AM

I'd get out of there, they sound like a bunch of freaks.

I've never been evicted but have lived with different people. When I was a student, a group of students in my block got fed up of another student wheel-spinning his car and skidding around and let him know this, he ignored them. He went somewhere, when he came back his car was upside down and had the windows kicked in - someone had half heartedly tried to set it on fire as well. No-one knew anything about it though, dunno how it happened.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 5, 2006, 11:55 AM

Great adice! Ya, I am working on getting out of here. As for the fugly thing, she is not bad (5/10), but my standards are pretty high. How did I get involved in this situation? Well, I had a situation go sour where I was living before, and had to move out right away. The person I was living with was searching my things, obsessed with me, and defaming me in public. Now, I was desparate so I took this place. The vacancy rate here is .5%, so pretty tough. As for my location, I am in British Columbia, Canada. The law is that the eviction notice will be void if I pay her the rent within five days of receiving it. Well, she keeps refusing to take the money. So, I am moving out after the 10 days, keeping my money, letting her keep the damage deposit, but I have to check the law on that. This way, I get 10 days here and I can be gone.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 01:27 PM

Wow, in the UK (well, scotland at least), it takes about 3 months to evict someone, and you must be 2 months behind in your rent.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 01:52 PM

I wish you all the best. Moving is never easy.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 01:59 PM

Get out of there right now. If they are this nuts after a month can you imagine in a year? They will all be nothing but trouble.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 02:01 PM

Yeah, doesn't make any sense to me. I didn't think you could be immediately evicted for being a couple days behind on a month's rent. Or maybe that's a BC thing?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 02:16 PM

I think everything will blow over when you start dealing drugs.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 02:37 PM

1) Question: Were you on the lease, subletting or just living there without a lease (you mentioned she wanted the phone numbers of your supervisor/references... if you signed a lease without these, you are in NO WAY responsible to provide such information... and I wouldn't) I would simply say (if I had already signed a lease or subletting contract) "I would prefer not to give that information." If she didn't require it before the signing of a lease, she can't require it after.

2) You did NOTHING WRONG (unless it specifically says that you must drop the rent off before a specific time on the 1st of the month). If it does not specify a time, ANY time during the day is fine. Also, you had up to five days to pay the rent before really being evicted.

3) NEVER EVER drop off cash without a receipt. NEVER. Also, if you are having problems with the landlord, get a confirmation that he/she received the check. Get it in writing... Just a quick letter saying "I have received a check for rent in the amount of $700 (check number 1009) from freudling on Feb. 1, 2006" Keep them in a safe place.

4) GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!! I would write up the events that transpired and get the landlord to either sign off on the facts or call the police.

5) What your landlord did is borderline harassment. "Give me your supervisors name and references or I'll evict you." Don't tolerate it.

6) Even if you ARE a drug dealer, pimp or ex-convict, that doesn't mean she can evict you... especially if you signed a lease. If she didn't do a background check, there is nothing she can do.

7) She is the landlord, you are the tenant. If she missed her mortgage payment, that's 100% her problem (especially if you paid her on time).

8) MOVE OUT

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 03:25 PM

:blah blah: The first week I moved in, the girl roomate wanted to sleep with me and I denied her. :blah blah:
What the hell were you thinking??
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2006, 03:40 PM

Landlady wants you to pay in CASH, but she's worried about what YOU do for a living? Screwy, that's what it is, screwy. It also sounds like she's looking for an excuse to bump you out. Not good.

Unfortunately, since I can't tell where you live, I can't give you any advice-laws vary. As has been pointed out, in some places it can take a LONG (and expensive) time to evict someone. In other places, it takes a call the the local Sherrif, and you're OUT! Where are you, anyway?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 5, 2006, 04:13 PM

production coordinator:

Excellent post. I totally agree with everything you said. Same with ghporter. I never actually signed anything here. We just had a verbal agreement, which does hold ground. She never wanted references or phone numbers, now she does. So really, she is blackmailing me by demanding those and then saying she will admit to receiving the money. I am going to apply to have the notice "set aside", which you can do by law. I will explain the situation to the mediator and then at least that might buy me more time, and I get to keep my rent money! Of course, the other roommates don't want anything to do with me now, and they won't even admit that I tried to give her the money AGAIN in the living where we were all standing. These are the same people who are so nuts. Like Lisa being aggressive to me, crying... Of course the landlady was not told about that. Or Brad not even letting me have 1 shelf in the fridge. I was told to use the vegetable drawers for my stuff. Stupid, axxhole people. Then there is me who works his but off all day, minds his own business and loves MACNN

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2006, 04:39 PM

If you do leave, make sure to buy a bunch of dead fish (grocery store etc) and hide them in various parts of the house that would be hard to find/get to.

The smell will be awesome.

I did this to an old boss of mine the day I quit.

He office had those tiles on the ceiling you could move.

I stuck a few dead fish up there. I was told they had NO IDEA were the smell was coming from for WEEKS, and finally called a "professional" to take care of it.

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 04:56 PM

I stuck a few dead fish up there. I was told they had NO IDEA were the smell was coming from for WEEKS, and finally called a "professional" to take care of it.
That's awesome. I'll have to remember that one just in case.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Feb 5, 2006, 05:14 PM

I am a hippy and I have lived in hippy houses, communes and such.

First, hippies have a tendency to be WAY dramatic!

Second, if you're not a hippy, what are you doing living there?

Third, it's not only sex she wanted. Hippies are often used to communal beds and such. I've done with many times and sex never happened.

If I was you, I'd move out and quickly. Probably into a single or studio apt, whatever you can afford.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
I am a hippy and I have lived in hippy houses, communes and such.

First, hippies have a tendency to be WAY dramatic!

Second, if you're not a hippy, what are you doing living there?

Third, it's not only sex she wanted. Hippies are often used to communal beds and such. I've done with many times and sex never happened.

If I was you, I'd move out and quickly. Probably into a single or studio apt, whatever you can afford.

If you don't mind could you tell us more about communes. I'm very much interested in the free love aspect. Where were the ones you lived in located? Also information about practical issues would be much appreciated as well.

Thank you.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 5, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ndptal85
If you don't mind could you tell us more about communes. I'm very much interested in the free love aspect.
Sick of paying for it?

Nick
Feb 5, 2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
I'd get out of there, they sound like a bunch of freaks.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 5, 2006, 07:46 PM

Awesome picture

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
I am a hippy

if you're not a hippy, what are you doing living there?
There's that good-ole-fashioned hippy tolerance!
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 08:47 PM

While what the landlord is doing is very very very wrong, I would say move. But then again I like having my own space and somewhat dislike hippies.

In Japan it is next to impossible to evict someone. The law of the land says that the residence goes to the person who needs it the most. So even if you stop paying, you can still get a court to tell your landlord that you have the right to stay there. To counter this the market has set up the system of `key money.` This is a `bribe` you pay to your landlord to get your key when you move in. Anywheres between one month and six months rent, which you will never see back. This is insurence against you being a dick and not paying. (I took a Japanese business law class in college for a semester, it was fun)

ink
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by
You really
need to move.
Right away.
You should think about
Moving your stuff out of there
Hippies cause problems

Fixed.

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 09:33 PM

who knew MACNN was filled with so many hippie hating Cartmans !
ππ>_<ππ

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Feb 5, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
There's that good-ole-fashioned hippy tolerance!
Oh, achi hakadosh! What a way to misread my words. The point was: hippies can be such dramatic people that if you aren't a hippy you aren't doing anyone a service by living with them.

Thus, if you are not a hippy why are you living you as you invite drama and frustration and threads on the forums.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2006, 10:58 PM

Teenage girls are professionally dramatic. They emote-it's what they do. Being dramatic is not a bad thing, as long as it doesn't overwhelm everything else.

I know a guy who could easily be called a hippie. He's dramatic at times, but with good reason: he's had some of the worst breaks a person can have. And they are not the kind one brings on oneself. Being the subject of vicious gossip at work because the gossip-starter wants the job he's up for is not self inflicted. Neither is heart disease. So he gets to be dramatic at times, and that's cool.

Hippies are fun. I lived in Austin, TX for pretty much most of the 1980s, and I have visited frequently since about 1995. I can tell you that hippiedom is alive and well and trying to get you to give up your Nikes for hand made hemp sandals. Good for them!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
This encourages you to be a dick and not pay. (I took a Japanese business law class in college for a semester, it was fun)
Fixed.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2006, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
If you do leave, make sure to buy a bunch of dead fish (grocery store etc) and hide them in various parts of the house that would be hard to find/get to.

The smell will be awesome.

Back in my salad days me and a couple house-mates did this to our crazy land-lady with the crack-addict boyfriend. Open jars of food when in all the open wall joints, hunks of cheese and vinegar down the central air returns--goes right back to the circulator--and my one house-mate pissed in a bunch of hard-to-find places.

I got taken to court for not paying the last month's rent. And I was found with a judgment against me even though I had two registered letters returned to me as "unaccepted" as proof I tried to pay her the last month's rent.

Last I heard, the crack-addict boyfriend tried, and maybe succeeded, in beating her to death. Serves her right.

Oh, did I mention the crack-addict boyfriend would come into the house to do "repairs" and stole money from all of us.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 6, 2006, 03:22 AM

Awesome stories.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 04:06 AM

me and my friends once wrapped a hippie up in an old carpet and poured paint thinner on it.

Ah happy days!

MrsLarry
Senior User
Feb 6, 2006, 10:41 AM

this happened to my boyfriend once, landlord wanted to evict him on basically no grounds. Here in CT, you can't just evict somebody, he had signed a year long lease, and from the time she evicted him (she gave him 10 days to get out), by law he had 6 months (half the time of his lease) before she could get the state/police/etc involved.

also, depending on how cold it is where you live, if you haven't secured housing, and it's winter, in some places anyway they can't evict you with no place to go.

Call a lawyer!! and Good luck!!

Monique
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 11:12 AM

Like some of you said, pay by cheque every time you are dealing with rent or serious matter, or when you pay cash ask for a receipt immidiatly.

I.E. I live in a place where the manager is doing her job so if I were to pay cash I would not know if she received the money or not since she is not giving out receipts on time.

Two, I once used to pay cash to my roomate, instead of paying the rent she would used the money on herself, saying if her cheque has not cleared by a certain date, the money was hers. I had no receipt to prove that I paid her and I was evicted.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 11:13 AM

if the landlady's insisting on cash payments and no written contracts, she's obviously not declaring her income from renting out rooms to the taxman. if i were you, i'd get out and tell the bitch i want my deposit back, or else you'll tell the taxman to have a look at her accounts.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 6, 2006, 05:27 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 06:53 AM. )

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 06:56 PM

Agreed.

Payment by cheque only and/or cash with a signed receipt from the person and/or company you are paying...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Feb 6, 2006, 07:23 PM

The landlord
is a crook.
Pay by check.

Forum Links
Forum Rules