Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Potential permanent Macbook pro throttle/cpu whine fix

Potential permanent Macbook pro throttle/cpu whine fix
Elixir
Apr 28, 2006, 08:33 PM

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....61317&tstart=0

could this really be it?

some friends have tried, they all claim what the others on the apple support forum claim.

better cpu usage running programs, better airport connectivity, most say whine is gone.

i'm waiaint a little before trying this

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 09:00 PM

i tried this "fix", it does work, as far as performance wise i haven't seen a major imprrovement. but i did just install it just under a minute ago. i kept the original file, i want to see if there is any change in the battery life.

Elixir  (op)
Apr 28, 2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jhonizzle
i tried this "fix", it does work, as far as performance wise i haven't seen a major imprrovement. but i did just install it just under a minute ago. i kept the original file, i want to see if there is any change in the battery life.
there is a pretty significant decrease in battery life.

around 25% but thats the same on windows machines running at full cpu usage as well as running boot camp Windows XP on macbook pros.

you will only see a performance change when running heavy apps.

for example Ableton Live on a non fixed machine hits 40% cpu usage (one core)
with the fix it maxes out at 28% (one core)

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 09:33 PM

i'm now getting a weird hum, and it's very hot. i'm going back to the original file i think.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 09:59 PM

There is no software fix for this issue. I talked to a guy at work, and he says that high-pitched whining from electronic components comes from microscopic oscillations of the components themselves. A chip, or some wires, or resistors, or something, is oscillating at just the correct frequency for us to hear under a few conditions.

There is no software "fix" for this. The most Apple can do is mask the problem by preventing the system from falling into the state required for the oscillations to be audible. This issue requires a change in the hardware as a "permanent" solution.

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 10:00 PM

What does it actually do? Does it reduce the speed of the machine at all?
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 10:12 PM

no, it increases the speed, reduces the battery life by about 15min or so. and it removes the whine...Tomchu try the fix then tell me it's not software

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 10:30 PM

I had no whine till I installed the new 'keyboard fix'
I get no whine running XP though...so I'm assuming it is indeed software.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 10:45 PM

i went back to the original file, now that Apple knows of this "fix" and where the issue is happening i'm going to wait for them to do an official update, until i'll deal with the whine

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2006, 11:03 PM

All of the "fixes", permanent or otherwise, I've seen so far appear to prevent the CPU from entering the deeper sleep states. This keeps the power draw up, which is bad for heat and battery life, but keeps the inductors from whining.

Elixir  (op)
Apr 28, 2006, 11:03 PM

the fix does nothing to your computer but prevent CPU throttling.

understand that BOOT CAMP RUNNING WINDOWS DOES THIS VERY SAME THING and it is supported by apple. heat has nothing to do with this, the fans have no affect at all. fans and such run under the firmware.

if apple supports boot camp then this shouldn't be harmful at all and yes it does FIX all issues, even airport wireless connectivity issues for many.

i jsut dont know why apple didn't give us a power option like they used to

it would be kind of them to at least mention it right? tell us why apple!!!

for god fcking sakes.

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 11:20 PM

another method of doing this patch

1) open terminal, copy and paste
mkdir /backup
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext /backup
2) Insert password
3) Reboot

i'm now down a whole hour of battery life, i can't get my old file back! i want my hour back!!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 11:26 PM

no, it increases the speed, reduces the battery life by about 15min or so. and it removes the whine...Tomchu try the fix then tell me it's not software
And I suppose it's the software ... as in the 1's and 0's that make up software ... that causes the whine? No. The whine is a physical thing, therefore it is hardware-related. The fact that you can stop the whine through software is only indicative of the fact that the hardware has to be in a certain condition for the whine to be present.

As everyone has stated before, all of these software tricks prevent the CPU from dropping into its lowest power state.

Elixir  (op)
Apr 28, 2006, 11:26 PM

another method of doing this patch

1) open terminal, copy and paste
mkdir /backup
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext /backup
2) Insert password
3) Reboot

i'm now down a whole hour of battery life, i can't get my old file back! i want my hour back!!
you didn't back up your files?

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 11:30 PM

when i tried to re-install them, rebooted OS X and it said that the files were installed improperly.... now my maximum battery life is 2:10, this is not good

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2006, 06:33 PM

ok can anyone tell me how to re-install IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext file?

newportnews
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2006, 09:02 AM

Drag the original file back to the folder, repair permissions, restart.
iMac Core 2 Duo 20" 2.16 Ghz //1.5 GB RAM // 250 GB HD
Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz // 1 GB RAM // 80 GB HD // Backlit Keyboard
iPod Video 30 GB / White

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
There is no software fix for this issue. I talked to a guy at work, and he says that high-pitched whining from electronic components comes from microscopic oscillations of the components themselves. A chip, or some wires, or resistors, or something, is oscillating at just the correct frequency for us to hear under a few conditions.

There is no software "fix" for this. The most Apple can do is mask the problem by preventing the system from falling into the state required for the oscillations to be audible. This issue requires a change in the hardware as a "permanent" solution.
Its not a hardware problem as such, as running a MBP in windows with boot camp seems to get rid of the noise. Hence it is a problem that can potentially be fixed via software
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Its not a hardware problem as such, as running a MBP in windows with boot camp seems to get rid of the noise. Hence it is a problem that can potentially be fixed via software
You're still not getting it.

It's a hardware problem that surfaces when the hardware is in a particular state. That state is the CPU in its deepest sleep mode. Windows will not put it in the deepest sleep mode, therefore you don't get the whine -- but at the expense of higher temperatures and shorter battery life.

Basically Windows isn't taking advantage of the Core Duo's deep sleep, OS X is -- but then you get the whine in OS X. It's a hardware problem.

ravinok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 04:35 PM

ok can anyone tell me how to re-install IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext file?
1.) Copy backup kext to it's original place.
2.) Open Utilities/Terminal
*3.) sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
4.) Reboot.

*BE SURE to include the /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext on this command, otherwise you may hose up the permissions elsewhere, which may or may not leave your system in an unusable state..and you will have to proceed with repair permissions anyhow.

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 04:49 PM

ravinok, thank you soo much, i have never been happier to hear this whine!

Elixir  (op)
Apr 30, 2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
You're still not getting it.

It's a hardware problem that surfaces when the hardware is in a particular state. That state is the CPU in its deepest sleep mode. Windows will not put it in the deepest sleep mode, therefore you don't get the whine -- but at the expense of higher temperatures and shorter battery life.

Basically Windows isn't taking advantage of the Core Duo's deep sleep, OS X is -- but then you get the whine in OS X. It's a hardware problem.

well apple needs to fix that right now. its just bullshit....

and on top of that they need to release an update that allows us full control of CPU usage.

why kill the full potential of the computer?

they gotta make a statement about this stuff at least

Forum Links
Forum Rules