Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 55)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 03:02 PM

Yeah, smart move.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 03:10 PM

As we enter the final day of MW2, I feel it worthwhile to reminisce about a few thinks.

First, the exclusive VIP access, which took 6 months to give us 3 tracks from the soundtrack, and only if you're in the US.

Conspicuously absent, online stats, which, if history serves, will return for Black Ops.

Notable Perk Retrospective
Sleight of Hand - Find a way to integrate lightweight Pro's effect. In fact add it and make it Tier 2.
Marathon is extremely broken, and I suspected this before launch and secretly admitted this to myself later on. Unlimited sprint, let alone at Tier 1. Is just bad.
One Man Army, as replacement to Overkill lacked simplicity. In actual gameplay, it ended up being Scavenger Pro. For its intended purpose (changing between classes with ease) giving up a Tier 1 Perk for it seemed like a waste.
Hardline - Tier 1. Tier 1!
Lightweight - Add Commando's Pro effect.
Danger Close - Would you care without OMA or Scavenger? I doubt it.
SitRep - Here's the situation report: You just wasted your Tier 3 perk. SitRep's main power would have been best added as a Pro effect somewhere else.
Ninja, another perk where the Pro effect is worth more than the main.
Scramble - It's pro effect is the only worthwhile part. Would make more sense as Ninja's Pro effect.
Steady Aim - Pro perk is completely counter-intuitive.
Commando - Not much to say. Unless you make the lunge variable on ping.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:14 PM

I heard Danger Close was not going to make an appearance in BO. That's not backed up by any facts though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 03:16 PM

I forgot to add, sek talks about the Golden Days of H2 and 4500 games played. Clocking in at 31 1/2 days, I have over 6000 played in MW2. (Compared to 2500 in H3, though not an apples-to-apples comparison)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:31 PM

How did you come to that number?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 03:33 PM

Your Halo retrospective thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:34 PM

I mean the MW2 number, did you just divide total minutes played by average time of game?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 03:35 PM

Wins plus Losses plus Ties.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:39 PM

Ahh, figured you found a way besides firing up the 360.

I have a little north of 3000 games played.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 03:43 PM

No, I just remember what I said last night.

I feel confident Black Ops won't see similar stats.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:54 PM

I can foresee at least 3000 games, especially since it looks like were are going to have the same MW2 crew.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 03:58 PM

I don't see myself playing as doggedly this time 'round. Partly from the aforementioned 6000 games, and partly because of the era.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2010, 02:56 PM

Better session last night. I feel like I have my legs most of the way back under me for tonight.

Repost from July:

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

"Sorry, we're closed."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2010, 08:02 PM

CoD4 was groundbreaking in terms of graphics and gameplay. MW2 built on top of that with tasty candy and the hundreds of challenges. I swore that I'd never give Activision another penny of my money when the care package glitchers were rampant, and here I am with Black Ops Hardened Edition.

I loved you for nearly 30 days MW2, but I have a new bitch now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2010, 05:13 PM

So we revisited this Thursday night. MW2 really is an amazing game – The spawns, maps, and lag/hit detection were sooo good. But I'd me remiss if I didn't give Black Ops it's due. The killstreaks are slightly overpowered (and way too common), tubing is too common (though I blame degradation of the population for some of it), and deathstreaks were the biggest shock to deal with (painkiller!). But imagine painkiller on Black Ops maps. It's not as bad in MW2 as it could be…

Overall, it's not Halo different, but the games really feel like they don't have as much in common as you think.

Still, my first game I was stuck on a map I'm used to sniping on, so I gave it whirl – mind you I haven't sniped since the day before Black Ops release – and went 14-1. Sniping on that game is smooth as butter.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2010, 10:57 PM

I should play a few games when I'm off for Christmas. have to get used to the weapons and play, again.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2010, 03:05 PM

Well, we returned yet again last night. The tubing wasn't too obnoxious (though I think subie quit playing early because one guy on the enemy team seemed to have his number with the thumper), and aside from some early games with rushers I had a good time. sek pointed out (rightfully) that while I've been complaining that his host is a serious disadvantage for me on Black Ops, no such complaints exist on MW2.

Oh, and crosbie joined us as the ghost of MW2 meet-ups past.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2010, 03:56 PM

Oh, now I remember what I wanted to mention.

At one point in Skid Row there was the typical tunnel shoot-out. People died and I decided to guard the stairs. At some point a guy loudly makes his way down and stops short of exiting.

He knows I'm there.
I know he's there.

I love these kind of standoffs. And that's when I realized: This never happens in Black Ops. Never. I couldn't tell you why. But it's just another reason that game isn't as fun.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2010, 04:43 AM

Oh, now I remember what I wanted to mention.

At one point in Skid Row there was the typical tunnel shoot-out. People died and I decided to guard the stairs. At some point a guy loudly makes his way down and stops short of exiting.

He knows I'm there.
I know he's there.

I love these kind of standoffs. And that's when I realized: This never happens in Black Ops. Never. I couldn't tell you why. But it's just another reason that game isn't as fun.
Sound whoring FTW. I hardly ever hear anyone coming in Black Ops. Ninja was so good in MW2.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Sound whoring FTW. I hardly ever hear anyone coming in Black Ops. Ninja was so good in MW2.
After playing Black Ops, my clydesdale jokes are more accurate in MW2 than ever. You really are too freakin' loud, and predictably Treyarch overcompensated. At some point on Karachi I heard someone in an alleyway a building away from me. Just. Too. Much.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2010, 06:20 AM

After playing Black Ops, my clydesdale jokes are more accurate in MW2 than ever. You really are too freakin' loud, and predictably Treyarch overcompensated. At some point on Karachi I heard someone in an alleyway a building away from me. Just. Too. Much.
I didn't use any other 3rd perk in MW2 once I had Ninja Pro. I have a fairly decent set of Sennheiser headphones that really did help my kills while playing against non-Ninja Pro using opponents.

In BO all I seem to hear is myself - and TBH it doesn't seem like the 'dynamics' of my own sound have be done correctly. In search especially I have to stop and listen to ensure that it is in fact me and not somebody else walking around.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2011, 01:33 PM

Rumor: Infinity Ward working on Modern Warfare prequel- Destructoid
According to sources speaking with fan site This Is Xbox, Infinity Ward's next title will be a prequel to 2007's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

The source claims that the game will focus on Modern Warfare 2's masked soldier, Ghost, detailing how he came to be a member of Task Force 141. The game is said to re-visit many of the locations from both Modern Warfare and its sequel.
This makes a ton of sense. From a developer perspective, this is a slow pitch, as it gives them license to reuse so much old material/assets its unfunny. Whether they're going to try and evolve the multi further a la the other prequel, Reach, is anyone's guess, but I think I'll safely say no.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2011, 02:21 PM

Okay, funny realization: AFAIK, they never revealed how to get the spinning 10th emblem legit (And there doesn't seem to be any conclusive evidence).

If that was a lure on their part to trap modders, that's brilliant.

If it was glitched or they just never cared enough to reveal the truth, they are assholes.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2011, 04:37 AM

Okay, funny realization: AFAIK, they never revealed how to get the spinning 10th emblem legit (And there doesn't seem to be any conclusive evidence).

If that was a lure on their part to trap modders, that's brilliant.

If it was glitched or they just never cared enough to reveal the truth, they are assholes.
Wonder if anyone that still works at Infinity Ward knows.

I played some MW2 last night. It was fookin brill. There were 18,000 people playing std tdm at 18H00 Central European Time. Not bad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 10:17 AM

Bowling still works there, I think (guess the co-founders didn't deem him worth stealing away ) and I'm certain he knows.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I can foresee at least 3000 games, especially since it looks like were are going to have the same MW2 crew.
So sek, where you at now? You still think you will hit 3,000 games in BO?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 01:58 PM

Don't make fun of him, he has been far and away our most dedicated player.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2011, 10:45 AM

It is with a heavy heart that I report that sek I learned we are now better at Black Ops than MW2 this weekend.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2011, 11:42 AM

I'm not sure what combination of effects have taken place, but I am FAR better at Black Ops than MW2 at this point. In fact, I'll be so bold as to say I'm better at sniping in Black Ops than MW2 as well, mostly because I've gotten so used to the little sway when scoping in and my ability to hold my breath for a very long time.

I went negative the two or three MW2 games we played and immediately went something like 20-5 when we switched to Black Ops.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2011, 11:43 AM

I'm going to repost my comment in the Black Ops thread, but I think this goes back to my "Harder to learn, easier to master" comment from Saturday.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2011, 05:13 PM

On Sunday I went into MW2 after months just to see how things were. Other than having to remember what buttons to press and what uses I had for my classes, I didn't do too bad. I went something like 14-9 on my first match. Had a mixed bag of matches after that though where I went anywhere from positive to negative.

Still quite a different game from what I've been playing lately, though.

Of course after an hour of being on MW2, who happens by, to invite me to a game, but Fatty. I'm thinking I'm way too rusty to be playin' with or against Fatty. But I see Fatty met up with Dakar and eventually went into Black Ops. Fatty invited while I was in mid-match and then a favourite MW2 map of mine came up after that - I think it was called derail (a snow covered map).
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2011, 11:12 AM

Modern Warfare Maker Says It Can't Fix Rampant Hacking On PS3
Infinity Ward's creative strategist Robert Bowling took to the game's official forums to address user concerns, saying that the issue is partially due to a recent compromise of the PlayStation 3's security.

"Sony has recently acknowledged a breach in security on the PS3 which resulted in games to become exposed to exploits and hacks," Bowling writes. "Modern Warfare 2 is no exception to this security exploit and we understand that some of you have experienced problems with stats and other issues associated with this."

Infinity Ward says that due to the security measures taken in Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2, or lack thereof, "updates to the game through patches will not resolve this problem, unless the security exploit itself is resolved on the platform."
A. Like they would if they could
B. When did Bowling move from Community Manager to Creative Strategist? (Though it does sound like one bullshit title to another)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2011, 11:12 AM

Also, sek and I reclaimed our skill at this game last night.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2011, 11:34 AM

I did poorly the first game with my buddy and then, all of a sudden, I remembered how to use the Intervention and let me tell you.....that weapon is hideously overpowered. We were playing Quarry and holding down the explosive barrel area. I come back from checking the ramp and an enemy is already breaking in and made it past the first jersey barrier, the one my buddy was hiding behind. Hit L trigger and fire immediately, sniper headshot....hehe such a dick weapon. I'd honestly not mind playing more MW2 with him if he'd not be such a cheapo and buy the maps. I've played the hell out of that game and having only the original maps to choose from makes me pine for Black Ops.

I'd also like to note that we went from 20-5 games in MW2 to 20-5 games on Black Ops. Not to shabby.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2011, 01:18 PM

I don't think it's the Intervention that's overpowered. It's Stopping Power.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2011, 04:59 PM

Report: Infinity Ward co-developing Modern Warfare 3 with Sledgehammer Games, Raven Software | Joystiq
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare publisher Activision has repeatedly stated that Infinity Ward is doing fine since heads Vince Zampella and Jason West were ousted from the company early last year. A report on the LA Times' Company Town blog, however, tells a different story -- according to the piece, both Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software have been tasked with helping develop the next, still unannounced Modern Warfare title, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

"People familiar with the situation" claim that Sledgehammer is working with the remaining staff at Infinity Ward on developing the game's single-player campaign, while Singularity developer Raven Software is in charge of bringing up the multiplayer side of things. The sources also contend that, like past Call of Duty titles, MW3 is expected to ship this November. Additionally, Sledgehammer is said to have halted production on its own spinoff Call of Duty title in order to help IW out. Representatives at Activision had yet to respond to a request for comment as of publishing.
I emailed this to the crew:
So they supposedly have three developers working on this mess to get it out the door for November. Thankfully, only one is handling the multi. From wiki, Raven software’s recent FPS titles are Quake 4 (05), Wolfenstein (09), and Singularity (10). One of these games have a cumulative score higher than 79 on metacritic. That’s not reason to pessimistic however; A quick glance at Treyarch’s prior show they had zero FPS experience when they jumped into their CoD duties. For me I’ll be looking for them to rectify Black Ops’ shortcomings – map design, spawn design, and netcode.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2011, 10:03 PM

I'll wait to see if they know how to write good network code before I buy anything from those !@#$!#$. LOL

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2011, 10:10 PM

I see the Mac App Store is now selling CoD4: Modern Warfare for $50; crazy price for an older game. And apparently the online multiplayer is broken.

BTW, does store-bought version require the game disc in the drive in order to play? I'd pay $50 for a no-disc required over a cheaper, store-bought version that required it.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2011, 11:59 PM

If Raven is handling the multiplayer of MW3, that sounds like trouble. I played Wolfenstein and both the SP and MP were buggy. The MP very buggy. Patches for Wolfenstein took too long to come out. As well, after Wolfenstein was done, a lot of Raven staff were let go. Raven is the last ones I want to hear workin on the MW franchise.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2011, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I see the Mac App Store is now selling CoD4: Modern Warfare for $50; crazy price for an older game. And apparently the online multiplayer is broken.
Well, you're certainly paying for the name in that case.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2011, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I'll wait to see if they know how to write good network code before I buy anything from those !@#$!#$. LOL
Well, remember, they're not Treyarch.

Speaking of which patch 1.06 is supposed to be the cure to most of your woes. I imagine if they could bring it back to a pre 1.05 state loads of PS3ers would be content.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2011, 01:05 PM

I was just playing combat training most of night and didn't even bother with any other modes. I might try to go out tonight and see if they have their crap together. I know last weekend was sketchy, CTF was the only mode that you could complete without getting dumped.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2011, 01:06 PM

Unless you're desperate for a multi fix, not sure I'd risk the frustration. I imagine the new patch will drop before the maps, so you have about a week and a half to go, tops.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 25, 2011, 03:26 PM

Infinity Ward to fix PS3 Modern Warfare 2 hacking ASAP- Destructoid
"I just left a security meeting with the coders here at Infinity Ward where we discussed a lot of solutions," said community manager Robert Bowling. "I feel good about the meeting, but of course I can't go into detail on the possible solutions we discussed as we don't want to give out any information that could potentially hinder the security any further.

"... The key factor I want you to know is, that while any update takes time, we are looking to make the process as quick as possible and nothing is being left unattended."
Just a week ago they said everyone was ****ed and it was Sony's fault. Hello, damage control.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2011, 12:03 AM

They're no better than politicians.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2011, 11:26 AM

Ah-ha!

Wes
Jan 30, 2011, 05:26 AM

Is the App Store version distributed as a package or does it throw out separate folders for data/single player/multiplayer still?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 01:29 PM

So fourzerotwo announced on twitter they're patching the Fuel rock glitch.
10 months later.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2011, 01:58 PM

So fourzerotwo announced on twitter they're patching the Fuel rock glitch.
10 months later.
You gotta be kidding!

What's the sense in patching it now?

Isn't there a new CoD coming out soon?!? It's about that time...
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 01:59 PM

I think they're throwing it in with a patch to deal with the hacking that been getting progressively worse since they abandoned all support for this game... roughly 10 months ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules