Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What happened to Tangerine?

What happened to Tangerine?
garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2000, 04:39 PM

Why'd Apple kill any form of Tangerine? My favorite color of iMac! What happened? And what's with "Snow"? If they're trying to market to old people, do it on the low-end machines. And "Sage" is a nice color but what's up with the name?
and play the game existence to the end

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2000, 05:02 PM

"Snow" is not the color of snow, it's the color of something else.

Macguy
Jul 19, 2000, 05:20 PM

"Snow" is an awsome color with a crappy name.

Wasn't Tangerine the least popular color of iMac anyway?
I wonder what will happen to the tangerine iBook now that the iMac's don't come in that color...

Sage is a cool color too.

I like the new blue, nice and deep, not the washed out look.

Taloston Prez
Jul 19, 2000, 08:40 PM

Oh, The Godfather. Your disgustingly nauseating rants explaining why Steve is always 20 minutes late getting onstage will haunt me in my nightmares forever.

On another note, I think snow is hideously bland looking, and I am interested to see if the iBooks will survive within their own colour matrix or whether I'll be able to one day own a blood red iBook....
Ciao,
Trevor Haldenby

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2000, 11:32 PM

Tangerine was the MOST popular color of the iMac and also the iBook. My personal favorite. Instead they replace it with a conservative, I'm-not-beige-but-not-a-crazy-color-, bland white color. Come on now

------------------
--->
--->[email protected]
--->

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jul 20, 2000, 01:09 AM

I and another photographer both were wow'd by the "snow" iMac. Although I must agree that the name is a bit lame. "Blizzard" would have been a much cooler name for the high-end iMac (no pun intended )

I think it has a retro-high-tech look to it (if that's possible). Sort of "2001: A Space Odyssey"-ish looking...which is cool in my book.

[This message has been edited by keekeeree (edited 07-20-2000).]

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2000, 01:42 AM

With all these new colors, Graphite has suddenly become the most bland :-)

I really like the three new *real* colors (i.e. Indigo, Ruby, and Sage). Although "Sage" is a bit of a lame name...

oh, whatever...
Be happy.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2000, 03:09 AM

HA!

"Snow" should rather have been called "Coconut"

Cipher13
Jul 20, 2000, 03:12 AM

Don't forget grape now!
Personally I like all the colours (inc. snow) and wouldn't mind any :-)
But I would like to be able to get any model in any colour - sage DVSE!

Cipher13

Bockie
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2000, 08:35 AM

As a marketing guy, I have many contacts, one of which works for Apple. Tangerine was the slowest selling iMac; Blueberry, the fastest. In hopes of boosting the lagging iMac sales, the Tangerine iBook was introduced. The iBook color caught on, but the demand did not reflect upon the iMac as hoped. With a low demand the decision was an easy one to remove Tangerine and Grape(which I like ) from the line.
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2000, 11:07 AM

I'm also sorry to see the death of grape (although it would have been nice to see a richer, deeper grape). I seem to recall reading (a couple of months after the introduction of the iBook) that blueberry iBooks outsold tangerine by 2 to 1.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2000, 11:21 AM

I like all the new colors, but the Sage is especially sharp. Wow!

I think the G4 Cube is going to be another big success for Apple. It'll be popular with all those people who liked the iMac but wanted more screen real estate. I'm interested to see whether there's any expandability options w.r.t. video card and processor in the cube.

Bockie
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2000, 12:42 PM

tony mac,
You were correct about the Blueberry being the top seller. I probably should have said that the Tangerine iBook certainly outsold it's iMac counterpart. Sorry for the confusion.
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

RWoelk
Senior User
Jul 20, 2000, 02:48 PM

Personally, I disliked the old colors in contrast to these BEAUTIFUL new ones. I hope Apple will have plenty of "Snow" in their supply line. I really think young women are going to buy/ hoard this thing in droves!! A real chick bedazzler!

------------------
Rocke "Why yes, I have brought our
network down." Woelk

Only the educated are free!-Epictetus

APW
Jul 20, 2000, 04:41 PM

I never cared for Tangerine myself! I'm somewhat partial to Strawberry, seeing as I have one...although, I like the new vibrant colors better than all of the older ones!

RWoelk
Senior User
Jul 20, 2000, 04:57 PM

Correction: I have always loved the graphite...

------------------
Rocke "Why yes, I have brought our
network down." Woelk

Only the educated are free!-Epictetus

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2000, 06:59 PM

the Snow iMac is VERY bright. It's not bland at all. It actually seems like it emits light, because it's so bright.

Yes, i did go to MacWorld.

andi*pandi
Jul 20, 2000, 07:08 PM

lucky you.
did you get a free mouse at the SteveNote?

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2000, 07:34 PM

Yes, I did.

The mouse is the BEST piece of hardware to come out of Apple. The "click" doesnt require me to have my hands over a button. I can push wherever i want. It's optical, which was an excellent feature.

I would have taken it even if it didnt have Optical.

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2000, 10:16 PM

I was never a big fan of colored computers. My iMac is a graphite SE (I got it back in December, so I don't feel as insignificant as someone who might have bought one the day before the keynote). However, I love the new colors! Sage and Snow are probably my favorite, but I like all of them.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Loonbum
Jul 23, 2000, 04:19 AM

Snow is the best color, the best name, and the best iMac. That is of course excluding my Hotorange. You see that right, my "Hotorange." Highly developed tangerine iMac DV system from God himself.

Tyler
[quote]As I stand here
asking you questions,
please answer
them!"[/quo

MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2000, 04:54 AM

Actually I loved Tangerine. I have a tangerine iMac and love the color. I don't dislike many of the colors. One thing is I think they shouldn't have dropped bondi so quickly at the start, that was an impressive color! I would love a shiny Black iMac ( graphite is too light to suffice!). That would rock. Then I could stick an All Blacks logo on the side and it would fit in with the rest of the decor of my room! I might have to get painting!
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

ilovelime
Jul 23, 2000, 06:49 AM

I love my lime iMac but I like all the new colours except for snow. Maybe it looks different in the flesh. I think the are lookinf for a more sophisticated market with the new colours. The candy colours may have been targeted at the teen market.

This is only my opinion.

I still love lime !

dabradda
Jul 23, 2000, 02:46 PM

well, i'm sad to see the old flavors go. but, some of them looked weird on the dv imacs anyway. strawberry was too bright, etc. the most popular imac with the schools around here was blueberry. and the most popular with people was grape. none of the stores had any grape! but i liked grape.

i think the ibook would look terrible in the new colors. unless, of course, the ibook became a lot more transparent than it is. i want a lime ibook, dammit! oh well.

dabradda

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2000, 11:02 PM

I agree, With the round "kiddie" mouse and the "kiddie" bright colors, Apple was loosing the market. With these new, darker, bolder colors, They can fit into more professonal environments.

MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2000, 02:36 AM

Oh well, I'm a teen and I love both sets of colors. Personally, all of my teen friends like snow and graphite better than any other colors, so the new set is doing as good a job as the old one in attracting youths!
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

Forum Links
Forum Rules