Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ALbook Nightmare Story!

ALbook Nightmare Story!
Aluminum
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 12:39 PM

hey everyone, here is a story you will find interesting or perhaps even relate to. I ordered my 15.2" albook BTO last tuesday with many of you with the 5400rpm hd option. So I have been waiting impatiently as well, checking and rechecking my Apple Order Status and my credit card account online to see if Apple had sent it off yet. So I go and check early this morning(btw my order said it would ship before or on 9/23) and it says my credit card account was suspended. I was thinking to myself you got to be kidding me, my laptop is about to be charged and now this. Well I call up MBNA and they ask me all kinds of security questions and tell me that they had suspended it because of "fraud like activities". I inquired about what charges those were and guess what, she said "well it seems that apple is charging you $2400 for a computer, and they charged you $400(ipod) and $150(HP printer) all in the past three days" I was ready to rip someones head off for the fact that I thought almost for sure they would have sent it off to someone else or it would delay my shipping. I clarified everything up with her then called up Apple. Apple understood the situation and they said that they would recharge the card and that the computer would be on its way today. Apple originally tried to charge my card last night at 10pm and was denied, 10 hours later I cleared things up and Apple says I now have the "green light" on my order and it should be here by thurs latest. Needless to say I am one happy camper now after a brief hassle.

Now to the second part of my story, I started to wonder what apple really does with computers that fail the credit card processing part. I started to have images of Ace Ventura kicking around a box(my albook) looking for a place to put it. Maybe they were have a little taiwanese soccer game with my box in the factory. Oh yeah and just to clear this up with everyone ALL portables are coming from Taiwan as my apple rep told me. Then I asked him, "so sweatshops are building our machines, little boys and girls putting my 5400rpm drive in" and he was like "yup thats how it is", and then I told him "they are apple certified though" in a very sarcastic manner, and he got a chuckle out of that and said "yeah". Anyhow has anyone worked for apple or know of what they really do with those computers that fail the first credit check, and it makes me wonder what are the conditions in the factories that are making our aluminum books from the aspect of quality care and watch over our apple products. Someone please relax me suspicions that my albook has been handled in a second rate manner since it failed its first credit check. At least its on its way now, saw that Apple charged my card immediately after i called them.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 01:07 PM

I can't believe I read this nonsense. You're an idiot.

Eciton
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 01:13 PM

I can't believe you felt the need to reply if you thought it was nonsense... hang on, what does that make me?

Glad to hear everything worked out, Aluminium.

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 01:16 PM

about the ace ventura thing, take it easy, I am sure its all in one piece.

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 01:19 PM

thanks eciton, needless to say I was a little worried about not getting my machine especially since I have an old ibook333 thats holding me off for the time being, and I need my new machine for school. Some people are just a little angry it seems and need to resort to insult over nothing, sad really, someone needs to hug him more.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 01:20 PM

What do you do with computers that fail the credit check? Give it to someone else, undamaged. You failed the check, or rather your card did, or rather the credit card idiots said LOOK A TERRORIST, not the computer. Why would they damage the computer? Why would they assemble computers with children? The things are supposed to last through their warranty, and if you've got 1980s Animal Cracker crumbs inside they don't work.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 01:28 PM

Yes I agree, however apples are being made in sweatshops sadly to say, but if we want low prices then thats the cost. MBNA was just trying to "protect" me from someone taking advantage of my card, since they saw all these computer charges, you would think since the billing and shipping addy were the same that they wouldnt have put a hold on it, but I guess safe is better than sorry. Needless to say the computer is on its way and I am happy. BTW the apple rep said that the 5400rpm drive is going to tap the battery life if your doing graphic work, he said significantly so I am a little skeptical about the battery life now. I will have a detailed report once I get mine.

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 02:01 PM

i have it on VERY GOOD authority that computers such as your's... that have failed credit approval are:
1. kicked around
2. manhandled
3. sold to NASA at a reduced rate....
something about them being involved in foam piece damage assessment....

something like that

greg

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2003, 02:03 PM

You got something against Asians?

if so.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Aluminum:
hey everyone, here is a story you will find interesting or perhaps even relate to. I ordered my 15.2" albook BTO last tuesday with many of you with the 5400rpm hd option. So I have been waiting impatiently as well, checking and rechecking my Apple Order Status and my credit card account online to see if Apple had sent it off yet. So I go and check early this morning(btw my order said it would ship before or on 9/23) and it says my credit card account was suspended. I was thinking to myself you got to be kidding me, my laptop is about to be charged and now this. Well I call up MBNA and they ask me all kinds of security questions and tell me that they had suspended it because of "fraud like activities". I inquired about what charges those were and guess what, she said "well it seems that apple is charging you $2400 for a computer, and they charged you $400(ipod) and $150(HP printer) all in the past three days" I was ready to rip someones head off for the fact that I thought almost for sure they would have sent it off to someone else or it would delay my shipping. I clarified everything up with her then called up Apple. Apple understood the situation and they said that they would recharge the card and that the computer would be on its way today. Apple originally tried to charge my card last night at 10pm and was denied, 10 hours later I cleared things up and Apple says I now have the "green light" on my order and it should be here by thurs latest. Needless to say I am one happy camper now after a brief hassle.

Now to the second part of my story, I started to wonder what apple really does with computers that fail the credit card processing part. I started to have images of Ace Ventura kicking around a box(my albook) looking for a place to put it. Maybe they were have a little taiwanese soccer game with my box in the factory. Oh yeah and just to clear this up with everyone ALL portables are coming from Taiwan as my apple rep told me. Then I asked him, "so sweatshops are building our machines, little boys and girls putting my 5400rpm drive in" and he was like "yup thats how it is", and then I told him "they are apple certified though" in a very sarcastic manner, and he got a chuckle out of that and said "yeah". Anyhow has anyone worked for apple or know of what they really do with those computers that fail the first credit check, and it makes me wonder what are the conditions in the factories that are making our aluminum books from the aspect of quality care and watch over our apple products. Someone please relax me suspicions that my albook has been handled in a second rate manner since it failed its first credit check. At least its on its way now, saw that Apple charged my card immediately after i called them.
First of all, I first came from Taiwan when I was 8 years old, and we don't have any of what you so called "sweatshops". And as for making fun of Taiwan, you are now on my hate list, and I'm sure on some others as well.

Second of all, Taiwan is the 2nd is riches country in Asia, where there are almost no people who are poor, either mostly average or rich. We are ranked number 3 in the world when it comes to education and yes; most students are very smart there. I was 3 years ahead Math wise when I came to the US for school. I was in 3rd grade at the time (over 13 years ago), and they put me in a 6th grade math class. I was at least 3 years ahead in every subject, but in Taiwan, I was said to be behind, and had to take night classes to catch up to everyone else.

Third of all, don�t make fun of any countries when you don�t know anything about them. Look up the country first before you make yourself look stupid. Get your damn facts straight.

Ming
( Last edited by nobitacu; Sep 22, 2003 at 02:31 PM. )
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 02:18 PM

Yes I agree, however apples are being made in sweatshops sadly to say, but if we want low prices then thats the cost. MBNA was just trying to "protect" me from someone taking advantage of my card, since they saw all these computer charges, you would think since the billing and shipping addy were the same that they wouldnt have put a hold on it, but I guess safe is better than sorry. Needless to say the computer is on its way and I am happy. BTW the apple rep said that the 5400rpm drive is going to tap the battery life if your doing graphic work, he said significantly so I am a little skeptical about the battery life now. I will have a detailed report once I get mine.
You better watch what you're saying.

Ming

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 02:25 PM

Ming,
i hope you know that i was making fun of NASA and meant nothing about Taiwan...

i found his accusation too sad to be funny
no offense intended from MY end....

i just wanted to say that
and NO, i'm not just PADDING my post count again
LOL

greg

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by spalding12:
Ming,
i hope you know that i was making fun of NASA and meant nothing about Taiwan...

i found his accusation too sad to be funny
no offense intended from MY end....

i just wanted to say that
and NO, i'm not just PADDING my post count again
LOL

greg
I know, don't worry about it, you're fine. It's Aluminum I'm having problems with.

Ming

ujeni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 02:48 PM

Aluminum, perhaps as a human being you might be more worried about the labor that was paid too little rather than your new computer.

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 05:01 PM

of course that is what I was bringing to light, that the reason we get such prices is because of the pay of the apple employees overseas. Ming cool your jets, I meant no offense by my post, if these were being built in Chicago I would have said, probably playing a little Chicagoland soccer with them. I hope you understand where I am coming from. Damn I need to watch what I say on these boards, people seem to take everything too serious these days.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2003, 05:34 PM

Powermax.com sells PowerBooks that fail credit checks, that is to say BTO PowerBooks that fail the check or are cancelled at the last minute.

A stock machine would just go back into inventory if it even left in the first place, don't ya think?

In any event, the Powermax BTO's are usually a little cheaper than if you had built it yourself.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 07:17 PM

Call me ignorant but if I were the Apple management i would make sure the card is cleared before I even BEGIN customizing someone's Powerbook. If I am wrong, as Ace would say once he sees "BAD CREDIT" stamped on your laptop box and grabs it with a maniac smile, "ALLLLLL-RIGHTYTHEN!!!"

Either way, good luck...

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 07:42 PM

I seriously doubt that apple contracts "sweatshops" to produce powerbooks. Sweatshops are usually textile, clothing gigs. As for Taiwan not having sweatshops...well that's just wrong. Just about all countries have one variation or other of the infamous sweatshops. Including the US. Taiwan does have sweatshops.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 07:53 PM

well its all cleared up, computer is on for delivery as scheduled, should have my brand new Albook on thurs

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 08:52 PM

You get the award - "Biggest Fu**ing Idiot, Week of 9/22"

Yes, since your CC did not go through, Apple plays soccer with your PowerBook. That's exactly what they do. They so craaazy! Talk about Thinking Different!

Or...

Hey look, this guy's CC was declined! Umm, let's take this computer and treat it second-rate! Yes, let's USE IT without calibrating the battery! Let's throw it into a backpack roughly! Let's move it quickly across the table to the rubber feet come off!

Jackass. What is wrong with you?

And I thought the guy that said "NiMH batteries rock, wonder why computer companies still use LiIon" was going to be the winner...
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 10:00 PM

I can't believe i'm replying to this, but you need to do some serious growing up! Apple's are not made in sweatshops! They are made in large, modern, factories, which use modern computerized assembly lines, to produce hundreds of thousands of computers to exact specifications!

What an ignorant statement to make!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 10:34 PM

Yup Apple isnt Adidas or Nike LOL

What a Dumb ***

As the others said sweat shops are textile and most of those problems have been solved at this day and age.

Also the part about someone messing with your powerbook is just plain stupid what are they going to do give it to steve jobs to use for meetings before they give it to you. Lord

Have fun with your new computer, but make sure you watch what you say on your new PB keyboard man. God
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 10:36 PM

LOL, ignorant I think this guy actually believed it. Even if he didn't take note of my last post.

Watch what you type on that new keyboard of yours.

Someone tease him and claim to have taken his PB hostage MUHAHAHAHHAHA.

Wouldn't it be ironic if that actually happened now. I wouldn't be surprised if he hunted me down with a shotgun cause of his paranoia. "on floor laughing"
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

brachiator
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 11:05 PM

Ah, go easy on him! Maybe he just takes the PRC's "One China" policy at face value?

The real concern, Aluminum, should now be with Apple's connection to IBM, given that IBM stands accused of knowingly poisoning its chip-fab workers. And you needn't go offshore to find horrendous labor problems -- you can start with Silicon Valley. Even in the boom, menial workers were treated like crap. Worry about the poor schmucks who clean the toilets on Steve Jobs's Gulfstream jet, before raising an army to liberate oppressed Taiwan...

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by rcarlosnyc:
I can't believe I read this nonsense. You're an idiot.
Quoted for accuracy.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 11:45 PM

I just cant help but coment on the country issue. As I am a proud American and cant stand when people take advantage of my country while at the same time knock on it.

First let me say that I have studied migration extensivly.

As there are defiantly nice areas in asia, there FAR more people below the poverty level there, than here as a whole. Sure you can pick out a few countries and say that everyone is rich, but you could do that anywhere. Also let me state that there is hardly any immigration from outsiders to the asian countries. There happens to be ALOT more migration out of asia.

Califorina is a perfect example. More asians are flocking there than any where else in the world. In the LA metro area 1 out of 8 people is of asian decent.

Also England recently is being burdened with the influx of asians that come to enjoy their high quality lifestyle as well.

Asians take advantage of many things in America. Like the great weather that we have. Most asians are used to a much harsher climate than we face here. Many Asian countries have almost every single natural disaster you can think of. Thats right, where else can you be in an Earthquake , a Typhoon, a Volcanoe, and a Tsunamis all in one place?(Japan).

I am not trying to knock you, just realize that you came to america and you stayed here because you like it. If you didnt, you would have left by now, and thats not the case for you or the millions of others just like you. You take advantage of our educational program and of our way of life. So be greatful.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 12:32 AM

Jesus. Just when you thought all the stupidity had slunk out of the room.

Look, dumbass--learn something about Taiwan--SPECIFICALLY TAIWAN--and then come back to the adult table, m'kay?

acadian
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 01:56 AM

people ruin everything....

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2003, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by forcelite:
I am not trying to knock you, just realize that you came to america and you stayed here because you like it. If you didnt, you would have left by now, and thats not the case for you or the millions of others just like you. You take advantage of our educational program and of our way of life. So be greatful.
as an asian american, could you be more specific on your comment? what should we be grateful for?

let me ask you this, how did america's forefather come to this land?

any human being has the right to live any where on earth he/she chooses. we should be grateful to be alive.

you a dumbass aluminum!
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by forcelite:
I just cant help but coment on the country issue. As I am a proud American and cant stand when people take advantage of my country while at the same time knock on it.

First let me say that I have studied migration extensivly.

As there are defiantly nice areas in asia, there FAR more people below the poverty level there, than here as a whole. Sure you can pick out a few countries and say that everyone is rich, but you could do that anywhere. Also let me state that there is hardly any immigration from outsiders to the asian countries. There happens to be ALOT more migration out of asia.

Califorina is a perfect example. More asians are flocking there than any where else in the world. In the LA metro area 1 out of 8 people is of asian decent.

Also England recently is being burdened with the influx of asians that come to enjoy their high quality lifestyle as well.

Asians take advantage of many things in America. Like the great weather that we have. Most asians are used to a much harsher climate than we face here. Many Asian countries have almost every single natural disaster you can think of. Thats right, where else can you be in an Earthquake , a Typhoon, a Volcanoe, and a Tsunamis all in one place?(Japan).

Yes, of course I'm greatful for living here in the US, but did we Taiwanese people come here to live for freedom? no, we already have that. You want to know the true real reason why a lot of Taiwanese people, mostly students come to the US? One reason, because education is easy here, much more easier to get into college in the US than Taiwan. THAT is the main reason. If I was in Taiwan, there is no way in hell I would of even be accepted into a single University, because they are so competitive to get in. It was not until the last few years that Taiwan finally lowered its standards into getting accepted to Universities, but it is still hard.

Ming

unchi2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 03:32 AM

Unfortunately, Taiwanese people working for the OEM's producing these computers works 80 hour weeks at 1/3 the pay. Pretty sad scene.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by unchi2:
Unfortunately, Taiwanese people working for the OEM's producing these computers works 80 hour weeks at 1/3 the pay. Pretty sad scene.
And how would you know about that?

Ming

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by unchi2:
First of all, this thread is getting really stupid. Could we just let this die?

Second, and why is that unfortunate? Even if that was true, who said the standards of living in Taiwan are just as expensive? What's the point? Purchasing Power.

Next thing you are gonna tell me how WTO screws over poor countries.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
First of all, this thread is getting really stupid. Could we just let this die?

Second, even if that was true, who said the standards of living in Taiwan are just as expensive? Purchasing Power son, you should learn some simple economics before posting a comment like that.

Next thing you are gonna tell me how WTO screws over poor countries.
Very true and totally agreed on what you're saying. Mods, lock this stupid thread please.

Ming

Forum Links
Forum Rules