Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cheapest Apple Laptop in the world (iBook)

Cheapest Apple Laptop in the world (iBook)
s70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 12:40 PM

Hi Apple Fans, I've just finish my incredible deal that wish to share with everyone.

I'm a student studying in Hong Kong. Last week I was planning to get a new iBook for my mom so that she can get rid of her old PC and virus. When I opened the newspaper last Friday, I saw there was an advert with a huge heading HKD 6960 (USD 892) for an G4/12.1�/iBook (M9426). I was shock by that and immediately I drop by the booth that held by Apple to have a look.

Before i saw this advert, I did went to the local Apple Center to play with the Demo machines and are interested in the PowerBook 12", and "Fortunately" when I ask do they have stock to buy it, they've no stock. Apparently all the resellers have no stock on most of Apple Products like PowerBooks or iPod.

When I arrived at the booth, I saw something really interesting, Apple is offering 6 special offers to end users. One of which is the HKD 6960 (USD 892) for an iBook G4 12", don't think it's an old model or refurbish model. It's a brand new, unopened box, CURRENT MODEL!!! G4 12 inch with the 1G processor, if you wish to add an Airport Extreme card, it cost only extra HKD 300, which is USD 39. So altogether USD 933 you get a brand new iBook which should be selling at USD 1178. Good deal right ?

Besides that, they have another promotions, such as purchased any PowerBook G4 Laptops with SuperDrive (even Combo Drive), you can either get a FREE iPod 20GB or 8% discount

Since i bought my first Mac from a local reseller store, i prefer going back to them and I really like their service, however, when i call the reseller, they told me they don't have any stock on the PowerBook and iPods, looks like it's an exclusive promotion from Apple directly, and no other stores have this great deals.

I don't want to miss the good deal, so I went back to the booth and decide between whether to get a PowerBook with a Free iPod 20G, or an iBook with such best price. Eventually I go for the iBook since I know my mom won't be such a heavy user, and I can save the money for my little Minis.

I did looked on the internet and couldn't find anywhere else has such an offer. The above promotion is offer for all people that have the Educational ID such as me (Student Card), but the salesman told me even a photocopy of my friends will do. Also no sales tax in Hong Kong, so you just paid USD 933, and you get the iBook, no tricks. That�s what we always said HK is the shopping paradise. The promotion end on Sept 2, so be hurry..

The promotion flyers can be found here http://www.hingis.dns2go.com/promote.gif

mlwhitt
Aug 24, 2004, 04:07 PM

Hmmmmmmm. Sorry if this is legit, but sounds a little fishy to me.

Originally posted by s70:
Hi Apple Fans, I've just finish my incredible deal that wish to share with everyone.

I'm a student studying in Hong Kong. Last week I was planning to get a new iBook for my mom so that she can get rid of her old PC and virus. When I opened the newspaper last Friday, I saw there was an advert with a huge heading HKD 6960 (USD 892) for an G4/12.1�/iBook (M9426). I was shock by that and immediately I drop by the booth that held by Apple to have a look.

Before i saw this advert, I did went to the local Apple Center to play with the Demo machines and are interested in the PowerBook 12", and "Fortunately" when I ask do they have stock to buy it, they've no stock. Apparently all the resellers have no stock on most of Apple Products like PowerBooks or iPod.

When I arrived at the booth, I saw something really interesting, Apple is offering 6 special offers to end users. One of which is the HKD 6960 (USD 892) for an iBook G4 12", don't think it's an old model or refurbish model. It's a brand new, unopened box, CURRENT MODEL!!! G4 12 inch with the 1G processor, if you wish to add an Airport Extreme card, it cost only extra HKD 300, which is USD 39. So altogether USD 933 you get a brand new iBook which should be selling at USD 1178. Good deal right ?

Besides that, they have another promotions, such as purchased any PowerBook G4 Laptops with SuperDrive (even Combo Drive), you can either get a FREE iPod 20GB or 8% discount

Since i bought my first Mac from a local reseller store, i prefer going back to them and I really like their service, however, when i call the reseller, they told me they don't have any stock on the PowerBook and iPods, looks like it's an exclusive promotion from Apple directly, and no other stores have this great deals.

I don't want to miss the good deal, so I went back to the booth and decide between whether to get a PowerBook with a Free iPod 20G, or an iBook with such best price. Eventually I go for the iBook since I know my mom won't be such a heavy user, and I can save the money for my little Minis.

I did looked on the internet and couldn't find anywhere else has such an offer. The above promotion is offer for all people that have the Educational ID such as me (Student Card), but the salesman told me even a photocopy of my friends will do. Also no sales tax in Hong Kong, so you just paid USD 933, and you get the iBook, no tricks. That�s what we always said HK is the shopping paradise. The promotion end on Sept 2, so be hurry..

The promotion flyers can be found here http://www.hingis.dns2go.com/promote.gif

s70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 09:50 PM

I know it sounds unbelievable. I don't believe it either until the moment i pay HKD 7260 only to get the iBook G4 with Airport Extreme Installed. Now the machine is sitting happily on my mom's desk. And don't get me wrong, i'm not doing a promote thing, just want to share with all Apple Fans and hope they can benefited from this promotion too.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 11:17 PM

Why does it want to connect to port 225?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

-Q-
Aug 26, 2004, 11:20 AM

Right. Cuz a reputable dealer uses a DNS forwarding service.

s70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 12:00 PM

I'm sorry if it's forwarded to port 225, but my ISP in HK blocked all port 80 traffic, therefore i need to open up another port for web hosting. BTW, i'm not a reputable dealer, as i said, i just want to share with you guys this good deal.
If you want to see the legit of the story, please visit www.citysuper.com.hk and have a look at the flyers as well. Please don't get me wrong, i'm not doing an AD here.

wertwert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 01:25 PM

I think we have the same deal in singapore. Might only be for asian countries though. Get an ibook or powerbook and get a S$200 rebate for students.

Not too sure about the details though. It's on apple singapore's webby.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 03:12 PM

I think it's a cheap dell laptop, white painted, and with an XP with all kinds of UI mods that make it look almost like OS X as operating system.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by s70:
http://www.hingis.dns2go.com/promote.gif
That is one snazzy flyer. I'd trust them with my money.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
That is one snazzy flyer. I'd trust them with my money.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by wertwert:
I think we have the same deal in singapore. Might only be for asian countries though. Get an ibook or powerbook and get a S$200 rebate for students.

Not too sure about the details though. It's on apple singapore's webby.
nope, cram and jam in the US and Canada
iamwhor3hay

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 02:25 PM

I heard about it as well, and my friend is buying the "cheap" 12".
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

terkwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 09:14 AM

Thanks for posting this!

My friends are considering getting it now since its so cheap!

Hope you enjoy your new iBook!

ter
1) iBook 500MHz 256 Snow - Sold
2) Power Mac G4 400MHz - Sold
3) iBook G4 800MHz 640 - Sold

Current Setup:
4) Athlon XP 2400+ 512 DIY
5) Mac Mini 1.42GHz 1GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules