Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why do the mailboxes drawer switch sides on their own in Mail?

Why do the mailboxes drawer switch sides on their own in Mail?
PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 05:58 PM

My Mailboxes randomly switch sides in Mail, that is that menu moves from the right of the window to the left or vice versa randmly, and I don't know how to move the mailbox drawer back to the left. Anyone know how to move the tray beack and why this keeps happeing?

Thanks!

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by PHYMAC:
My Mailboxes randomly switch sides in Mail, that is that menu moves from the right of the window to the left or vice versa randmly, and I don't know how to move the mailbox drawer back to the left. Anyone know how to move the tray beack and why this keeps happeing?

Thanks!
The drawer opens on the side where it has room to open. Once it's set it stays on that side. However, it will also open on the side towards where a mail message is dragged; IF AND ONLY IF there is enough room on that side for the drawer to open.

So, to "set" a side, place the Mail window so your drawer has room to open, pick up a mail message (click and drag) and move towards the side you want to set. You don't actually have to "drop" the message in the drawer -- you can just drag the message back into the main window.

And then, try to keep your Mail window on your screen where the drawer has room to open. If you make the drawer really big (wide), you'll have to make sure you always have enough room to open it, so if you can, try to keep the drawer small (narrow).

PHYMAC  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 06:15 PM

Nice! Thanks a lot! I guess when I have the window to the far to the right it does that, not that random! Nice feature! It worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2005, 09:19 PM

Don't get too used to it, though, because Tiger Mail does away with the drawer.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Don't get too used to it, though, because Tiger Mail does away with the drawer.
no way!
that's great, 'cause this switching of sides garbage was driving me nuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules