Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Play PC/Windows games on the Mac in OSX

Play PC/Windows games on the Mac in OSX
paulthetall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2010, 01:56 PM

Hi guys,

Many people are using virtual machines or bootcamp to run there games on the Mac. Virtual machines cost money and a windows license. Well there is a solution for many games and thats wine Read everything about it on winehq.org. Nice thing about it, is that it is open source and freee! But the source itself is quite technical, so there some solutions like Crossover or Wineskin. Wineskin is free And makes it possible to install your favourite games to the Mac and export it in an .app which you can start easily with an doubleclick. I made some step by step installation guides for some games so you can enjoy those games freely on the the Mac Made the for the following games an step by step manual and many many more are about to come!

- Company of heroes
- FIFA 11
- Fallout 3
- Caesar III
- Need for speed Underground 1 + 2
- Settlers V, Heritage of Kings
- Dune 2000
- Trackmania Nations Forever

you can find those step bij step installation videos on this site here:
Wineskin Courses

Soo many people switch soo easily to bootcamp while you can port your pc games to the mac yoursleves
( Last edited by paulthetall; Oct 18, 2010 at 05:04 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2010, 04:40 PM

The site is winehq.com, not winhq.com

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The site is winehq.com, not winhq.com
your are totaly right, i adjusted the site in my first post. Thanks for your reaction.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by paulthetall View Post
your are totaly right, i adjusted the site in my first post. Thanks for your reaction.
Wine is awesome, I'm a fan, thanks for posting this.

I notice that at least one of your guides includes winecfg stuff... Why not use winetricks instead?

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2010, 02:22 AM

Wine is awesome, I'm a fan, thanks for posting this.

I notice that at least one of your guides includes winecfg stuff... Why not use winetricks instead?
Well in the course section there a lot of how to`s of making certain games work like FIFA 11, in those videos winetricks is envolved too. And its all in the beginning fase, olmost daily there are videos added and shortly there will too for particular winetricks. dont worry .

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 05:16 AM

Wine works (almost) smashingly with Baldur's Gate. I've been happy with it.

I'm sure the videos will help. Wineskin is a bit cryptic.

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Wine works (almost) smashingly with Baldur's Gate. I've been happy with it.

I'm sure the videos will help. Wineskin is a bit cryptic.
I will try as much as i can to help porting your favourite games to the Mac.I try to make daily new step by step manuals. But i do as a hobby, got 2 kids have a job with an 40 hour workweek, so at night when i have time i do as much as i can.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 11:43 AM

It's definitely appreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 12:15 PM

Have you gotten Civ V working properly?

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2010, 01:34 PM

Yup

Here a video of mine that it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igrsH-RYypU

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by paulthetall View Post
Yup

Here a video of mine that it works
YouTube - Civilization V for the Mac

Congrats! I haven't been able to get that far without video artifacts including the gray screen and a weird black fog-of-war, and this is with the video settings all at their minimum. There seems to be some DX9 issues that perhaps affect certain video cards, or something, because in the WINE Appdb page people seem to be reporting all sorts of different results under both Ubuntu and OS X. There was even a MacNN thread about getting Civ V to work not too long ago.

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2010, 02:01 PM

Yeah, you need to put graphics al to medium, or it wont work, trust me Just added a video how to get Medieval 2 Total War Work on the Mac

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 02:13 PM

Are you using the XQuartz 2.6 beta or 2.5? Were you able to get fullscreen mode working? If so, was this via the "toggle full screen" feature provided within XQuartz, or some other way?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 02:22 PM

Also, putting the graphics to medium did not work for me under Ubuntu or OS X to get rid of the artifacts including in a brand new WINE .wine directory. I'm pretty sure that the problem is inconsistent between WINE versions and video cards, perhaps involving VRAM consumption or something. I'm using WINE 1.3.5 on both machines. I've installed d3dx9 and vcrun2010 via winetricks.

The inconsistencies between machines/installs is one annoying aspect of WINE.

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2010, 02:24 PM

Are you using the XQuartz 2.6 beta or 2.5? Were you able to get fullscreen mode working? If so, was this via the "toggle full screen" feature provided within XQuartz, or some other way?
Well you have to change the wineskin settings. choose screen settings, and put it on "rootless". Also make sure to set: advanced --> wineskin tools -- > winecfg --> graphic tab --> deselect the 2 managed window options in the middle.

Hope it works too for you now

d3d9x is good, but why vcrun 2010? not necesserry only use vcrun2008. and use Wine engine 1.3.3. If it all doenst work, start over and do exactly what i told ya. Installing VCrun 2010 may have messed things up in the register what cant be fixed easily so starting over is maybe needed.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 02:24 PM

It also looks like you didn't get fullscreen working, hopefully that is fixed with XQuartz 2.6... Some people reported getting it working there, I think it worked for me in the last alpha version, although I could be wrong.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 02:29 PM

Wineskin doesn't seem to be able to find my Macports installed version of Wine 1.3.5, so I can't use it right now. I don't see why I need it, all it does is include its own XQuartz and build .app wrappers for launching Windows apps via your installed version of WINE, right?

Edit: Sorry, I erased what I wrote... It's virtual desktops that are an XQuartz 2.6 feature, not rootless...
( Last edited by besson3c; Oct 19, 2010 at 02:38 PM. )

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2010, 02:35 PM

Where are you talking about? You can just set it full screen and it works full screen! It all works fine, you just need to set in correctly in wineskin. I like rootless, because i can do things on the mac while playing. So if you like playing it full screen, no problem.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 02:38 PM

I'm testing Wineskin right now... It's a great idea, did you write this program?

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2010, 02:38 PM

Wineskin doesn't seem to be able to find my Macports installed version of Wine 1.3.5, so I can't use it right now. I don't see why I need it, all it does is include its own XQuartz and build .app wrappers for launching Windows apps via your installed version of WINE, right?

rootless support is, I believe, an XQuartz 2.6 feature, so it looks like Wineskin bundles one of these versions... Interesting.
What you mean, is i think xrandr. That is that screencapture works without changing all that resolutions all the time when starting the game. In xquartz 2.6 it will be implanted.

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2010, 02:39 PM

No i didnt, i just worked a year intensively with wine and wineskin, soooo...you get some experience

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 03:51 PM

Ahh, well I've worked fairly intensively with WINE in general but not Wineskin... I'm happy to learn about it!

I'm not having any love with the 1.3.5 engine, it is crashing and not showing all of the games in my Steam library (maybe it is registering itself as a Mac app or something since the only games that appear in my library have Mac compatible versions), and the app crashes when I try to add the game via the embedded web app.

Then again, because of this abstraction I don't know if this is due to the included X11 system, WINE 1.3.5, or some Wineskin specific issue.

What version of the Wineskin engine did you use with Civ V? Does the Civ V demo work the same for you (I'm trying to run the demo)?

Most likely I think that what I wrote before about people getting different results in WINE versions + X11 versions + Civ V is true, but you have gotten the farthest I've ever seen with getting Civ V to work in OS X

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2010, 04:15 PM

I used 1.3.3, i do not use the Demo X11 is in in almost all cases the same, Xquartz however isnt, and should be updated to the latest stable one (2.5.3). I didnt use 1.3.5 yet for a game.

The trick is that for olmost every game there a different wineengine needed to run it at the max. And figuring out which engine that is, is the trick After that is a matter of some tweaking
Thats why is that if you watch my videos about the games i "how to'd" that i in olmost all cases i use a different engine. I tested some engines, and i take the best for that game.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 05:55 PM

I don't know if my problem is already having Wine 1.3.5 installed (I'm assuming that Wineskin is supposed to be entirely self-contained, it looks like it even creates new .wine directories for each wrapper?), but even after downgrading back to XQuartz 2.5.3 and using the Wineskin 1.3.3 engine, I'm still having problems with Steam.

I don't really have time to continue to muck around, but so far Wineskin hasn't helped me get any further along, unfortunately!
( Last edited by besson3c; Oct 19, 2010 at 06:01 PM. )

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2010, 01:25 AM

I don't know if my problem is already having Wine 1.3.5 installed (I'm assuming that Wineskin is supposed to be entirely self-contained, it looks like it even creates new .wine directories for each wrapper?), but even after downgrading back to XQuartz 2.5.3 and using the Wineskin 1.3.3 engine, I'm still having problems with Steam.

I don't really have time to continue to muck around, but so far Wineskin hasn't helped me get any further along, unfortunately!
I will help you out...whats you mailadres? PM me.

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2010, 03:17 PM

Added Medieval 2 Total War step by step video Guide en Metal Gear Solid

paulthetall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2010, 10:32 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules