Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Woops!

Woops! (Page 16)
reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2022, 06:49 PM

I wonder if the baggage cart owner knows he needs juicy insurance. Legal minimums are not gonna cut it. $1 million coverage minimum. And I'd want a lot more.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2022, 02:46 PM

Here’s an article with video. It answers the “will it blend” question for baggage carts.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/c...ohare-airport/

reader50
Administrator
Jan 29, 2022, 03:16 PM

I watched the video. It looks like it was the plane's fault. Plane taxied into the baggage cart area. Also looks like a baggage container got sucked through the outer engine.

I think the cart people are off the hook. Good thing - the engine that sucked a package in will need a complete teardown. Way more expensive than cowling damage.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2022, 04:11 PM

My current understanding is snow obscured the taxiway, and the pilot mistook the edge lights for the center lights.

Also, from what I understand, O’Hare doesn’t get too many 747s, so there aren’t any repair facilities here that can rebuild the engine. If it was one engine they could fly it empty to somewhere else, but not with two down.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2022, 05:29 PM

Since we’re talking aviation mishaps, here’s one I came across today from 2009. MD-11 rolled while landing. Both pilots died but no visible death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Express_Flight_80

Here’s an extensive write-up:

https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/...0-627e05b74fe9

It was so turbulent that day one of the pilots said “yeee-haw… ride ‘em cowboy” on approach.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 29, 2022, 07:47 PM

How about this:

USAF Security Policeman driving patrol on the flight line, drops his personal cell phone - while driving on the flight line.

Then he reaches down to retrieve it. And runs into an F-15. Gets a concussion in the process. And probably a severe reduction in rank.

Read about it here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2022, 10:07 PM

So, am I to surmise his head remained attached because he was ducking down to find the cell-phone?

Edit: I mean during the crash, not after the CO was done.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 29, 2022 at 10:39 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2022, 12:37 PM

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2022, 04:08 PM

that's some powerful hair gel. or hair dryer. or both.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2022, 05:22 PM

Maybe I’m missing the joke, but both are normal strength.

Sister loaded the hairdryer with flour or something, thinking the fan would just blow the flour on him.

Particles suspended in air are highly flammable, so the heating element ignited the dust.

She more or less created a miniature grain silo explosion.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 4, 2022, 07:01 PM

Is there a scent candle or other source of ignition offscreen to our right? It looks like the flames originated there - I didn't see them come out of the hair dryer. Though it could just be the GIF compression.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2022, 07:13 PM

That’s certainly possible, but if I understand the physics correctly, my guess is where we see the flames start is the “sweet spot” in terms of fuel+air+heat.

It’s hotter closer to the dryer, but there’s also too much fuel and not enough air closer to the dryer.

Edit: and in my previous post, to be precise I should have said the heat (hot air) ignited it, not the heating element.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 4, 2022 at 07:42 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2022, 06:25 PM

Aerosolize flour well enough, and it doesn’t take much added energy to ignite it. Combine its natural tendency to create static charges among the particles with a good old “hot” setting on a hair dryer should easily turn a harmless “cover brother with flour” prank into a fuel/air explosive.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
So, am I to surmise his head remained attached because he was ducking down to find the cell-phone?

Edit: I mean during the crash, not after the CO was done.
The part that was in danger of being detached was at the other end…

The thing about Air Force Security Forces (formerly “Security Police” and much longer ago “Air Police”) is that you have to be kinda bright to be able to do the job, but much of the job is so deadly boring that bright people find ways to be less bored. Often hilarity ensues.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2022, 03:06 PM

It burns not explodes. So it needs a pressure vessel to make a decent bang. It could have burned him badly though.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2022, 04:58 PM

This is correct. I was simplifying.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2022, 05:22 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2022, 08:02 AM

Wow. Glad to see him immediately get up and start shouting at the driver.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2022, 09:04 AM

Judging by the shadows I bet the sun played a factor on that one. Bet he felt it in the morning…
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 9, 2022, 11:21 AM

Shadows or not, the rider was dressed brightly enough that the car driver just didn’t bother to look. I haven’t ridden in ages, but I still have the endorsement on my license, and I always drive as if I’m on a bike: “they can’t see you, but they’re out to get you” is not just a funny phrase…. It’s saved my butt many times, even on 4 wheels.

Monday, I had a guy do a U-turn in front of me. At an intersection where through traffic had green lights and was going around 45 MPH. My car was nowhere near the only one going in the same direction. The bad actor just freakin’ turned in front of at least 5 cars coming AT HIM. My brakes, my reactions, and similar reactions of the other drivers around me prevented the guy from being mashed to a pulp, and there were (amazingly) ZERO collisions. I made eye contact as I passed him; he had NO idea that he’d just missed sudden death through his own stupidity, or even that he’d done anything wrong.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2022, 01:40 PM

Somebody needs a dashcam.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2022, 08:29 AM

Driving fail videos are now rampant and an occasional fav of mine. The most frustrating part is that many of them are clearly the result of the cam driver being an asshole: refusing to share the road, speeding up to block passing vehicles, retaliatory actions, omitted earlier incidents.

I’d love to do a driving fails series where you get to reverse-blame the a-hole cammer who submitted the video. Guess it wouldn’t last very long though.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2022, 01:37 PM

Somebody needs a dashcam.
Most of the time I think “what would I do with it?” Then there are incidents like the one I posted, and I think “yeah, I could have even gotten his plate number.” This is something I need to think hard about.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2022, 01:39 PM

Three minutes worth of what are allegedly Starlink satellites disassembling.

andi*pandi
Feb 10, 2022, 01:44 PM

The poor japanese snowboarder last night who faceplanted on the edge of the half-pipe... It looked painful but she bounced back up ok. She took a chunk out of the edge of the pipe with her chin and elbows. Google is failing me at finding a clip.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2022, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I’d love to do a driving fails series where you get to reverse-blame the a-hole cammer who submitted the video. Guess it wouldn’t last very long though.
If there’s even the slightest thing to hook into, any Reddit dashcam thread is this.

Not wanting to give the appearance of omitting earlier incidents is the big reason I stopped watching them. A vast majority now start with a minute of nothing happening.

Just get to the earth shattering kaboom already.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2022, 02:52 PM

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 11, 2022, 03:27 PM

I only feel a small bit of bad for laughing out loud at the kid “being attacked” by the spring toy ridey thing. A really tiny bit.

Looping back, my wife and I are semi-actively researching dash cameras. The “this is how the accident happened” factor is definitely taking a back seat to the “see what that @$$hole did, right in front of me?!?!?!” factor. Plus the potential for LOLs from other oddness that presents itself, of course.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2022, 03:38 PM

One note about dashcams.

You might want to consider a capacitor model instead of a battery model. Heat, from Texas sun for example, will ‘splode the battery sooner or later.

May not be a problem if your car stays in a garage a lot, but something to think about. Even without heat the battery will start swelling at some point.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 11, 2022, 03:40 PM

Suggest getting one with a capacitor. Small battery packs are often what kill dash cams. Especially in hot locations.

1080p is a minimum, and a bit dicey for reading plates or faces. Fine for recording crazy stuff. I personally go for a 2.5K (only small price premium) or 4K (larger premium) because I might want to read a plate after a hit-n-run.

My recent dashcam purchases include a rear cam for complete coverage. However, that increases the price a bit too.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2022, 03:47 PM

I want a rear cam but I’m letting the fact the only place I can mount it is all the way to one side stop me, or at least slow me down.

The more central locations either aren’t covered by the rear wiper, have a defroster wire in the way, or both.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 11, 2022, 04:01 PM

A defroster wire isn't a problem. Mine looks through one. The wire is out of focus, so it shows as a shadow band. Nothing is actually blocked, you can see through the shadow.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2022, 04:08 PM

I was more worried about gluing the mount across a wire.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2022, 05:06 PM

You know, looking it over, I think I was more worried about a wire blocking the camera.

Good call!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2022, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The poor japanese snowboarder last night who faceplanted on the edge of the half-pipe... It looked painful but she bounced back up ok. She took a chunk out of the edge of the pipe with her chin and elbows. Google is failing me at finding a clip.
I’d say the entire Olympics this time around is a woops.

Sochi suddenly looks like a class act

andi*pandi
Feb 11, 2022, 07:28 PM

the ski jump in front of the nuclear power plant was a.... did they not know this would be televised everywhere? and that's what they pick as a backdrop?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2022, 08:38 PM

There’s that, which makes the IOC look like the clowns they are. The quarantine food. Unsportspersonlike conduct.

Ironically with that last one, if skaters were allowed to beat on each other, unlike now, people might watch.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 11, 2022, 11:06 PM

That's a problem for other sports too. Here's a classic commercial:

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2022, 11:28 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2022, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
the ski jump in front of the nuclear power plant was a.... did they not know this would be televised everywhere? and that's what they pick as a backdrop?
1. It's a former steel mill, not a nuclear power plant.

2. The mill was decommissioned and the whole area turned into a recreational "industrial landmark park". We have those here in Germany as well; I actually played a show for a legendary TV format in exactly that: a decommissioned steel mill.

https://www1.wdr.de/fernsehen/rockpa...anzig-100.html

3. The idea of building an artificial snow ramp into a flat post-industrial landscape may seem weird, but there's something to be said for that over cutting down tens of thousands of trees and wreaking general havoc on an ecosystem just to get a mountainesque backdrop.

I like it. (Not that I've watched more than a minute of footage from this event.)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2022, 02:51 PM

I think it would stick out less if there was snow, which there isn’t, because the average high in Beijing never goes below freezing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2022, 03:02 PM

I think it would stick out less if there was snow, which there isn’t, because the average high in Beijing never goes below freezing.
I'm absolutely on board with questioning the minds of those who would award Olympic Winter Games to a place without snow, or the World Cup to a place where it is invariably FAR too hot to ever healthily play football.

But then, as I wrote, I'm not gonna watch more than a minute of coverage, total, for either event, so who am I to ju… nah, fuck it: It's stupid.

Money talks.

Thorzdad
Feb 12, 2022, 03:31 PM

Curling’s inside, and luge and skeleton are on a refrigerated track, so I really don’t care about snow.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2022, 03:47 PM

Neither does the IOC apparently.

Thorzdad
Feb 12, 2022, 04:06 PM

Over half the snow at the Sochi olympics was man-made, too. It’s going to much more common, if not normal, in the future.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2022, 04:28 PM

I propose they should look for places significantly above sea level, and further north than Rome.

I offer this proposal to the IOC free of charge.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2022, 04:38 PM

From the athlete’s village…

It is alleged Chinese officials requested the photo be deleted.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 12, 2022, 07:29 PM

That better be a common area. If there's a surveillance cam in my living room, I'm not living in it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2022, 07:42 PM

You mean like the camera in your phone they totally didn’t hack before you were even out of customs?

Thorzdad
Feb 13, 2022, 06:12 PM

Heh. Beijing got enough snow this weekend to delay some events so they could clear the excess snow.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2022, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Heh. Beijing got enough snow this weekend to delay some events so they could clear the excess snow.
Hillarious.

On the prior photo...that's a very non-standard fire control system. Or the Three Stooges served as both their plumbers and electricians. Or both - with Beijing, it's kind of hard to decide who's profiting from what.

Forum Links
Forum Rules