Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Opinions on forum software upgrade!

Opinions on forum software upgrade!
King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 10:09 AM

With the new software upgrade, I think that we should see what everyones opinions are.

So far, here are mine:

-There is a notable change from the old look. It will take a bit for me to decide if the change is good or bad. Also, I will need to wait until they finish the update before deciding.

-I am really glad to see the title of the last post come back.

-The new font size seems to be a bit too large

-I don't like having the "Remember me" check box (by the login box) checked by default.

-The quick reply feature looks like it will be nice.

-I like the format options above the regular posting window.

Overall, I think that the change will be an improvement, but only time will tell.

So what do other people think?
-King Rat

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 10:26 AM

It needs a new "favicon" when the newer theme is released...do not forget!

jyunderwood
Apr 14, 2005, 10:59 AM

I too think that the font is too big
in threads, the header, with the date and reply, seems too large.
and just me but I prefer the alternating white/grey over boxes with gaps.
fluid like water.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 14, 2005, 11:02 AM

I agree about the font size. But note that it will take some time for things to fully settle in -- they made a lot of changes from vB2 -> vB3.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 11:10 AM

I'm a big fan of the new Quick Reply feature. And the overall look is fairly nice and clean. The yellow and blue feels nice.

I agree that the alternating white/grey scheme from before was nicer. I would like to see a return to that.

I liked having the big list of text links at the bottom of each page - the Forum Jump drop-down menu is okay, but it doesn't show all the options at once, which is fairly handy. It would be nice to have those back.

Just some initial thoughts.

(also, I don't mind the bigger font myself, but I suppose some people may not dig it too much)

jyunderwood
Apr 14, 2005, 11:11 AM

Also I'm getting emails now about the threads I posted in by I guess default because I don't remember turning it on and it didn't happen before vB3.

[edit] yeah the email notify was turned on by I guess default. anyone else have that problem?
fluid like water.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2005, 11:28 AM

Neat, font sizes have settled down, and there is no longer a title bar for every post. I too am really happy to again see the name of the thread responded to most recently; it's also nice to see the number of users in the particular forums.

But one thing that the upgrade seems to have nixed is the dot within the red circle to signify additional posts since last read (marking threads you have participated in). The new version still displays the red circle but not the unread dot. Perhaps it will return?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 14, 2005, 11:28 AM

email notification was, for some reason, turned on for every current member. this is odd since the default is for it to be off. not sure i can change that option for everyone. just a vb2-->vb3 quirk i guess.

i'll bring back the red dot once i find it.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2005, 11:29 AM

It looks good but the search function doesn't seem to be working.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by mintcake
It looks good but the search function doesn't seem to be working.
Agreed...I am searching for a thread that I bookmarked on another computer called something like "Top 5 (or so) Freeware apps for Mac", and can't find it. Searches in the main forum don't find anything more recent than 2003 from what I can tell.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 01:46 PM

Code:
I wonder if vB3 fixed this annoying problem where if you typed too wide a string into a code block, it would make the whole window scroll over to the right. That was annoying.
edit: oh, sweet!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 01:55 PM

I don't care for the default being changed to getting emails anytime you post to a thread..... I wish that default that was the other way around. Was easy enough to fix, but still annoying.

King_Rat  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by gorgonzola
...note that it will take some time for things to fully settle in -- they made a lot of changes from vB2 -> vB3.
Thats fine; I know how hard upgrading a system can be (of course, useing a Mac makes it much less painfull). I just thought that it would be nice to see what everyone thinks so that you know what needs fixed, what should be left as, etc . It will take me a bit to decide what I think of all the changes anyway.
-King Rat

yukon
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 03:41 PM

Well, everything is grey now....I know, no CSS, maybe when I get a CPU upgrade. I like a few of the new options in the control panel though. Maybe we could get an option to hide those "View public profile, Send a private message, find more posts by add to buddylist!" things, it's quite large without CSS and I can get all that by clicking on the username.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2005, 04:43 PM

The search function still doesn't seem to be working right...(perhaps a database is still in need of updating?)...
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

King_Rat  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 06:03 PM

*It used to be that the location bar (e.g. MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback) was bellow the User CP/Calendar/Logout bar; I think that it was a bit nicer that way.

Also, I do like having the FAQ link in the info bar, but I think that there needs to be a rules section that would cover things like the general posting guidelines, market place rules, things that will get you banned, etc.
-King Rat

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 08:06 PM

I feel that having each post be a box is rather distracting and it's hard to read through the whole thread; it disrupts the eye. Make the entire thread in one box and a grey line sparator or something for each post. Something less disruptive visually.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 08:40 PM

For those (Like ME) who uave "Default Thread Age Cut Off" set to "Show all threads", forums with many many many pages scroll really really badly.

And likewise, threads that are very highly used (Screenshots anyone?) also have the same annoying problem.

This is really stupid how they did this. I am assuming it was done by the vBulletin3 creators, but how the heck they missed this problem is beyond me. Obviously they used a test forum that doesn't have anywhere near 100+ pages in either of their forums or threads.

This problem MUST be fixed. The way the older software template did it was perfect. Whoever decided to put it in a Table instead of letting it wrap.. well.. I won't say any more in case it was actually someone here who did it. Just fix it!

Thanks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 14, 2005, 11:02 PM

It's fixed.

Anyway, I agree that the location bar needs to be moved to immediately above the first post: it's easy to lose track of what thread it is.

tooki

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 11:40 PM

You rock, Tooky.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 10:25 AM

Feels nice and responsive, looks clear and legible. Good job so far

Have you considered turning the RSS feeds (vBulletin 3 feature) on?

J

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2005, 10:39 AM

Anyway to lower or change the position of the report abuse link? It really catches the eye right now. Also, too much space between the stars and the Join date.

Also, Join Date is capped while report abuse isn't.

Finally, anyway to make that damn line above the sigs go away? Or change the color to white so it looks as if it's gone away?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by jyunderwood
I too think that the font is too big
in threads, the header, with the date and reply, seems too large.
and just me but I prefer the alternating white/grey over boxes with gaps.
Seconded.

-t

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2005, 12:23 PM

I had to use a peecee today and the site looked so much better than on the Mac side. Could it be the font I'm using, Apple Myriad? People talk about big text but it's very small on the Mac, both in Safari and FireFox. I used FF on the peecee today.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 02:15 PM

The font size looks fine over here in FireFox Mac, in Safari it's a tiny bit smaller but still fine. Any smaller and I couldn't even see the text. Do NOT make it smaller.

lynxalot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2005, 03:36 PM

The Today's Active Topics link no longer works. Is there a new one?

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 15, 2005, 04:17 PM

i never used that. it anything like Show New Posts?

lynxalot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
i never used that. it anything like Show New Posts?
Yeah, that's a keeper. Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2005, 03:40 AM

The admins are really terrific (and I'm not attempting to curry favor by posting this).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 06:39 AM

looks nice but it would have been nice to be able to customize the look

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 28, 2005, 10:35 AM

As soon as you bring back "View First Unread Post" I'll be thrilled. Everything else seems great. I really miss this feature.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 19, 2005, 02:12 AM

Does anyone have the same problem as I have: after the changeover, Mozilla no longer remembers my username and passowrd to fill in the login box. (VB2 days it does it for me)

I have even tried to use the "remember me" option, and it still doesn't work (I have allowed cookies to be accepted for forums.macnn.com already).

Any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules