Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RAID on MAC PRO - please Help

RAID on MAC PRO - please Help
Markintosh_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 03:04 PM

my Mac Pro 2.66/2GB is 3 days old. Never worked before with RAID. My main HD is 250 WD I have also 320 SG.
1.Please advise - what better way to make RAID. Which HD I need to add for make RAID.?
2. Is it possible to make two RAIDs internal in one machine? 2x250 and 2x320?
3. If I connect second drive to RAID - do I need format both of them and reinstall all soft again?
All help greatly appreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Markintosh_X View Post
my Mac Pro 2.66/2GB is 3 days old. Never worked before with RAID. My main HD is 250 WD I have also 320 SG.
1.Please advise - what better way to make RAID. Which HD I need to add for make RAID.?
2. Is it possible to make two RAIDs internal in one machine? 2x250 and 2x320?
3. If I connect second drive to RAID - do I need format both of them and reinstall all soft again?
All help greatly appreciated.

What raid technique were you thinking of doing? Sounds like either RAID-0 or RAID-1? Were you going to use software RAID or a hardware RAID controller (sounds like the former?)

Markintosh_X  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 08:06 PM

I'd like to use 2 RAID - one RAID 0 (for system, apps) and RAID 1 (mirror) for working files (I recently lost hard drive with 3 magazines going to printer - 90& done;( so I'm a bit paranoid now.
I will use software RAID (Disk Utility). Thank you for your help.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Markintosh_X View Post
I'd like to use 2 RAID - one RAID 0 (for system, apps) and RAID 1 (mirror) for working files (I recently lost hard drive with 3 magazines going to printer - 90& done;( so I'm a bit paranoid now.
I will use software RAID (Disk Utility). Thank you for your help.

Well, I'm not big on RAID-0 since large hard drives are so cheap, and by creating a RAID-0 solution you have a single point of failure.

RAID-1 is nice though, if you'd like a real-time backup of your data. Consider the fact that for many people, having backup snapshots is also useful for when they need/want to back-peddle. If your work is really important, doing a RAID-1 + backup snapshots would be perfect. The RAID-1 would provide you with another drive you can use without skipping a beat (as well as a backup), and the snapshots would provide you with that ability to roll-back to an earlier state, which is also often useful.

Just my two cents. I use software RAID-1 under FreeBSD (gmirror), I wouldn't be surprised if OS X uses the exact same solution. At any rate, it is very solid, I've had no problems with it.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2006, 10:17 PM

If you really care about your data, then get a RAID card.
Software RAID's are all right, but true hardware RAID is worth the price. I am sure that for 50-60$ you can get a decent SATA RAID card.

I agree about the RAID 0. If you loose a drive, you cannot get any of the data back. You are better off keeping the drives separately.
In RAID 1 even if you have drives with different sizes, the size of the RAID disk will be equal to the smaller drive.

Markintosh_X  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 10:44 PM

Thanks for reply!
For now I have 3 HD inside ( 200GB, 250GB, 320GB) I'd like to add one more 320Gb. And make 2 RAIDs-1 . Is this possible ? if I connect togeter 250 and 200? - is this will work?? I don't care of loosing some space ( I have 1TB external)
So, 250+200 - this is one RAID-1 and 320+320 - another one. Do I need reinstall all soft again? after I'm doing this ( do I need reformat drives?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules