Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro missing serial number - Stolen?

Macbook Pro missing serial number - Stolen?
matiasagustin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 11:07 AM

Hi, I bought a used macbook pro a couple of days ago and as I was trying to check its applecare support I realised that mac os x wasn't showing it, it only says "machineserialnumber" o something like that. I removed the battery but the sticker is missing. Any ideas?
I'm afraid it might be stolen or that it used to be a store display machine.

Thx in advance, I'd really appreciate your feedback

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2007, 11:45 AM

It could be that the logic board was replaced, and that they have forgot to include the new serial number.
I would call Apple regardless.

matiasagustin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 12:03 PM

Could that be it? What about the missing sticker? Do they remove as they replace the motherboard?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 12:26 PM

If it was an authorized Apple replacement it would have a new sticker. However, let's assume the best: go up to the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, down to "About this Mac" click on "More Info..." The serial number is listed under "Hardware Overview".

matiasagustin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
If it was an authorized Apple replacement it would have a new sticker. However, let's assume the best: go up to the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, down to "About this Mac" click on "More Info..." The serial number is listed under "Hardware Overview".
It says machineserialnumber instead of the actual serial number, plus the sticker below the battery seems to have been cut in half and repasted...

what would you do?

thx again, Matias

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2007, 06:25 PM

I also would think it was stolen.. I don't see why both would be missing, and one with the number cut off...

maybe do a drive scan using a file restoration program and see if any personal info comes up...
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Frugle View Post
I also would think it was stolen.. I don't see why both would be missing, and one with the number cut off...

maybe do a drive scan using a file restoration program and see if any personal info comes up...
I don't think most Laptop thieves have the knowledge to be able to delete Serial #!

jmlcanada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 06:55 AM

I don't know about the missing sticker, but I know from experience that the serial number will disappear from System Profiler if the original logic board has been replaced.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by jmlcanada View Post
I don't know about the missing sticker, but I know from experience that the serial number will disappear from System Profiler if the original logic board has been replaced.
Yeah, it sounds like it had a MB replacement from an Apple-authorized repair technician who just forgot to apply the new sticker (one of the hardware repair vendors I used to use would constantly forget to apply the new stickers - drove me nuts 'cause I needed to keep my inventory database up-to-date!).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 01:32 PM

Where did you buy it?

mr.anderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 07:21 PM

my macbookpro got it's motherboard replaced by an authorized reseller and shows Serial Number: SystemSerialNumb in the system profiler. the serialnumber sticker in the bat. compartment remained unchanged, however there's a small sticker with the a new ethernet id pasted on top of the old sticker!

hope this helps!

hybrid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 09:24 AM

My PowerBook had its logic board replaced twice, and it's the same as mr.anderson describes. No serial number in System Profiler, same serial number in the battery compartment, but a new Ethernet id sticker on top of the old one.

If you call Apple, maybe they can trace your Ethernet MAC address to find out a bit about the machine's history.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2007, 10:12 AM

I had my logic board replaced as well, however mine shows the serial number.
I've read about cases like that before. Why not as the seller and see what he says?

matiasagustin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 11:30 AM

I'll get in touch with him today, I bought it through the argentinian version of ebay which is called mercadolibre.
Ill keep you posted.
Thx again

Radmacdaddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 11:39 AM

oops can't remove this mistake (cause as it says, I'm a fresh recruit!)
( Last edited by Radmacdaddy; Feb 19, 2007 at 11:52 AM. )

Radmacdaddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 11:51 AM

Basically,this is how Apple does it... strangely enough. I also have had my logic board replaced, on several ocassions, and it became VERY confusing when i had to have my casing replaced, which meant the stickers were also gone.

It took Applecare about four hours to find me in the system without this serial, which was honestly pretty crazy. But that is how they do it... by serial... so the only one who stole that serial from you is Apple!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 12:54 PM

Say whaaaa Radmacdaddy? It sounds like it could have been a display model. At CompUSA our Mac Mini (the only thing I've checked) says "SystemSerialNumb" like the guys above. If it's a display model it's probably not stolen since Apple gets rid of their display models sometimes at fire sales.

chulitomio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 04:53 PM

When a logic board is replaced, there is an application to set the serial number, which is what makes it show up in About This Mac. This application was used by mail-in Applecare service, but never given to the retail stores. In fact, while working there, we only found out about the application when a tech left the disc in a mail-in repair. Stupid? Yes. Welcome to the way Applecare Retail is run.
It's also very very easy to forget to place the new serial number sticker, which sometimes happened when the previous one had been removed. Some techs I worked with didn't replace the sticker: too much dang work. Stupid? Yes. Welcome to the way Applecare Retail is run.

UberFu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 05:35 PM

You bought a used machine from some unknown source_ That's your first problem_ Something that's new enough to be under warranty ? Sounds like you got had_

Did you know the person who sold it to you ??

Can you hunt them down ??

Was the price of this thing too good to be true ??

These are questions you should be asking yourself_

What people won't do to save a buck or two_

( Do you own a PC or Mac ? -- I own an Apple Makintosch )

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 07:47 PM

( Do you own a PC or Mac ? -- I own an Apple Makintosch )

chipchen
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 04:49 AM

I would say logic board replacement as well. Hopefully, you can get a receipt/box, or repair number to authenticate the serial number for further AppleCare issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules