Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > TC multiple mac backup and security

TC multiple mac backup and security
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2008, 04:56 PM

So, if you have two Macs using a single TC to back up wirelessly, is there any way to stop one machines user seeing the other machines backup? I guess not.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2008, 06:02 PM

A little confused. Do you mean that within time machine both computers see both of each other's back ups? That should not be the case.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 02:21 AM

Yeas. In all the TC's I've installed, each machine can see both backup folders in the finder. I'd have thought they should be invisible to each other but they aren't.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 05:05 AM

Ah, good topic!
I also have two Macs which make their backups to the same TC.
I can see both backups but TimeMachine only uses one of them of course.

So how does this work if for example one day one of my computers dies and I try to get my data back with a new one?
Will I be able to use a backup that wasn't made with this computer??
That should be the case, right?

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2008, 07:15 AM

Since I don't have TC! And I see that your saying other's can see your backed-up folder, vice versa?
Are they able to read it or just see it? If the forma then check this link it will solve your problem hopefully Apple - Support - Discussions - time capsule "user name" problem ...

If not I haven't found anything else so far, maybe someone else has better knowledge to this problem.

OK! I'm just thinking out loud, you have no problems with user accounts setup but you & other accounts all see each others backup-image for each other's computers? Still haven't found a solution but many are asking the same questions.
( Last edited by DarkStarRed; Jun 3, 2008 at 07:25 AM. )

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 06:04 PM

I guess it's really a function of TC and TM being "home" solutions reahter than business solutions. Focussing on home use means there's not really a big security issue on data being visible to other users (hey mum look at all the pr0n tommy deleted last week!!!) while businesses with real security issues would use proper remote servers or nas drives with separate sharepoints. Still maybe in v2.0 users data will be more protected.

Forum Links
Forum Rules