Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Booting OS 8 on G3 Blue and White

Booting OS 8 on G3 Blue and White
mleitholt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2008, 10:12 PM

So I was trying to install Tiger VIA an external USB dvd drive to my client's powermac g3 blue and white and when I finnaly got it to select the DVD drive as the startup disk, it rebooted and now is giving me the no operating system icon. How do I boot back into OS 8? I tried option and c, those didn't work. Or, if you can tell me how to install Tiger, that would be great too.
( Last edited by mleitholt; Jun 20, 2008 at 12:40 AM. )

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2008, 12:03 AM

Try Command Option P and R all at once as you boot (and disconnect the external drive).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 06:59 AM

Command option shift delete.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 11:10 AM

A G3 cannot boot from a USB device only Firewire so you seem to have confused your Mac

Hold the alt key down as the machine starts to acccess firmware level boot disc selection and once all available boot icons have shown select the one you want. Much more reliable thant the c key method.

mleitholt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 02:38 PM

Tried cmd + option +shift +delete, didn't work

Tried option, didn't work

I keep on getting the no OS icon.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 02:42 PM

B&W G3 can't boot from FireWire. The PowerMac G4 "SawTooth" was the first to boot from FireWire.

Question 10: Is it possible to start up from a FireWire hard drive?

Answer: No, the Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) boot ROM cannot currently support starting up from FireWire-based storage devices.

Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White): Frequently Asked Questions

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2008, 08:01 PM

Have you tried putting a bootable CD in the CD drive, like the original system disc? Booting to the disc and then properly reselect the internal hard drive as the boot disk?

Also, there was a version of 10.4 that came on 3 CDs.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2008, 08:06 PM

Forget OS8. Go with the all time performer OS 7.6.1.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

mleitholt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2008, 04:41 PM

I pulled the hard drive and installed leopard on it, put it back in and it still wants to boot from CD. So I put in my leopard DVD via external USB drive and I still get the no OS icon. How do I boot from the hard drive.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2008, 10:58 PM

It's not going to boot from an external drive. It'll only boot off something on the ATA bus.

Also, it's waaay too slow for 10.5. If that's the only OS that's on a drive on the ATA bus, it's not gonna boot that, either. OS 10.5 requires at least an 867 mhz G4 processor. 10.4 (Tiger) is as far as a G3 is gonna go.

Pull the drive back out & put 10.4 back on it.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

mleitholt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2008, 12:39 AM

I formatted the hard drive because the G3 doesn't support 10.5. So a friend told me my external DVD had to be in cable select mode for the jumpers and that got the DVD to boot. Then when I got to tiger installation, it said it could not be installed on this computer. I tried installing it through my MacBook Pro and it wouldn't let me because it is a Intel mac. How do I install Tiger now?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 01:55 AM

You might need to update the G3's firmware even before you can install OS 9… and then upgrade to 10.4, get the firmware here:

Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) Firmware Update 1.1: Document and Software

If your Blue & White came with a SCSI disc you would also need to apply another firmware update, which is listed here:
Mac OS X: Available firmware updates

So it is a bit a mess but you would need to install OS 8 again and check if you can run the firmware upgrade there Apple site reads: G3 Firmware Update 1.1 installs on any Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) Desktop computer running Mac OS 8.5.1 through Mac OS 9.x. then go for 10.4… I have to say I did something similar to an iMac G3 DV but it required me to upgrade to OS 9.1 to run the firmware update, something seems not to be the case with the B&W, so my guess is you would be fine reinstalling Mac OS 8, applying the firmware and then installing 10.4. Good luck.

mleitholt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2008, 02:13 AM

I'm going to find OS 9 then run Xpostfacto and see if that works, if it doesn't I'll try the firmware.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 05:33 AM

I would stick to the firmware, it is after all the way intended to get it done. The B&W Power Macs qualify to run 10.4, I don't see the need to mess with Xpostfacto…

mleitholt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2008, 01:52 PM

So I get a floppy drive icon that has a question mark on it when I try to install OS 9.2.1 I checked and my HD is properly connected. What do I do or should I download OS 8.5.1?

mleitholt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2008, 03:00 PM

Is it possible to run the firmware update with no OS?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 03:28 PM

No, it has to be ran from the Mac OS… it is after all a small app… didn't get the Mac OS disc that came with the computer?, since we are talking about a B&W G3 the discs are green colored… actually I think there is only one disc.

mleitholt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2008, 03:38 PM

Nope, I just have the tower =/

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2008, 08:22 PM

Sounds like they have the right man on the job, in any case...

mleitholt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by MichiganRich View Post
Sounds like they have the right man on the job, in any case...
You don't have to be rude about it, she ended up giving it to me so now it's on my hands.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2008, 11:34 PM

If you're really determined to do this, you could consider installing an internal DVD drive in the machine, so that you can install 10.4 from the DVD installer. They're about $20.00. You can probably hunt down a copy of OS 9.something through a used-mac site, for the same price, or less. if you've gotta do the firmware thing first.

Link: YourMacStore Shopping - Software

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules