Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > internet cafe with os9 macs.....

internet cafe with os9 macs.....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010, 12:18 PM

hi everyone

I am interested in setting up a small internet cafe with about 10 apple imac g3s running os9

how would I go about setting them up with my router? what router would I need?

I am aware of several mac internet cafe software packages - how do you network them in order to work with such a program?

I'm using older imacs because of cost constraints - and os9 because it runs faster on those old imacs than osx.

any ideas?

Richard
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

-Q-
Jun 17, 2010, 12:35 PM

Is there a browser that still works with OS 9 that would even make that feasible?

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Is there a browser that still works with OS 9 that would even make that feasible?
Ok, I'll put OSX10.3 on them.
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 12:57 PM

iCab might work on OS 9. I haven't used it in a while, so I can't say for certain.

Honestly though, customers are not going to be happy with the experience unless you're running a newer version of Flash. On OS9 you wouldn't have Flash or Java. Panther won't run a new enough Flash version to use Youtube. You might be able to get away with Tiger, but if those machines will run Tiger at all, they'll only run it slowly, even with a ton of RAM.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
iCab might work on OS 9. I haven't used it in a while, so I can't say for certain.

Honestly though, customers are not going to be happy with the experience unless you're running a newer version of Flash. On OS9 you wouldn't have Flash or Java. Panther won't run a new enough Flash version to use Youtube. You might be able to get away with Tiger, but if those machines will run Tiger at all, they'll only run it slowly, even with a ton of RAM.
ok. but the main thing I'm concered with is how to link up all the computers to the internet using internet cafe timing software. (using osx10.4 on imac g4's)

rich

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2010, 02:45 PM

From a usability and satisfaction point, you'd be much better off selling those Macs for whatever you can get, buying a load of Cheap P4 PCs and running Ubuntu.

PFSense will act as a gateway and has a captive portal to allow user based logins.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2010, 03:08 PM

Seanc is right. G3 iMacs are just too old to build an internet cafe on in 2010. It would have to be the last internet cafe on the island before I would pay more than a dollar or pound to check my email on macs of the generation I just donated because they weren't worth the power bill and floor space as a print server.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 17, 2010, 04:12 PM

The Ubuntu suggestion does beg the question: is there a distro of Linux for PPC that might be more useful, on account of being able to run a much more recent version of Firefox?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2010, 04:13 PM

Yellow Dog (if still in development) would probably be the best bet, but whether it can eeek any more life out of the processors is a different story.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 17, 2010, 04:47 PM

YDL is not really updated much any more. Internet Brain tells me many distros have PPC builds, of which Debian and Gentoo are probably the front-runners.

P
Jun 18, 2010, 07:35 AM

NetBSD supports older PPC Macs very well, but at that point it doesn't really make a lot of sense to use Macs at all. Slotloading iMacs run quite well under 10.4 if you upgrade the RAM beyond 512 MB.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2010, 12:42 PM

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads
But seriously, sell the Macs and get PCs.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2010, 03:40 PM

Or, sell the Macs and get better used Macs if you really, really want to run a Mac cafe.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thorzdad
Jul 8, 2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by rich82fox View Post
Ok, I'll put OSX10.3 on them.
10.3.9 won't be very satisfactory web experience for your customers, either. Until I upgraded to a new iMac running SL, I was on a G5 running 10.3.9. I was running into an increasing number of websites that simply didn't work (or work well) with either Safari or Firefox, because of the tech requirements. And, yeah, a lot of that had to do with Flash. For instance, I used to check an interactive traffic map to see what the road conditions were for my wife's commute, and it just stopped working one day, due to an upgrade they did to that mapping system. And even casual Flash gaming was a trial-and-error thing.

But, there will simply be a continuing degrading in quality as technologies advance beyond the ability of the browsers that work in 10.3.9 to handle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules