Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Farenheit 9/11 technical question.

Farenheit 9/11 technical question.
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 04:06 PM

The trailer to Farenheit 911 has been released at http://www.fahrenheit911.com/

I want to view the trailer in high quality but my DSL connection is not stable enough to stream it. Is there a way to extract some line from the source or from the ref quicktime file in order to download the whole thing to the hard disk?

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
The trailer to Farenheit 911 has been released at http://www.fahrenheit911.com/

I want to view the trailer in high quality but my DSL connection is not stable enough to stream it. Is there a way to extract some line from the source or from the ref quicktime file in order to download the whole thing to the hard disk?
What horrible quality. You would think he could provide a better trailer.
That being said, I laughed a few times, and probably will now rent it when it goes straight to video...

I like the idea of all congress-people having their kids enlist. Senators too. Maybe then they'll read some of the things they pass. I mean that for all involved, not just democrats.

Edit: I sure wish I could follow this thread once it is moved to the a-political lounge where the liberal babies seem to get away with way too much...

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 3, 2004, 04:20 PM

Highly doubtful that its your connection, since I'm having the same issues. I suspect there servers are overloaded.

You won't find an easy way of downloading it, since its a quicktime stream.

There is a downloadable Windows Media file available via bittorrent from suprnova
VLC will play it if you don't like Microsoft's player.
Luke

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 04:39 PM

I don't like wmv generally but the download is great.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2004, 04:39 PM

I have a nice connection and can't seem to get it. I have no idea why they are trying to stream a trailer?

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 04:40 PM

Their stupid? Wait, they don't want someone to download and re-edit it?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2004, 04:43 PM

Actually, it looks interesting... but considering how bowling was warped, I expect the same this time around.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 3, 2004, 04:44 PM

Tried several times today. Medium quality worked after the 4th try.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Their stupid? Wait, they don't want someone to download and re-edit it?
Either that, or he wants to be able to go back and change all of the parts he messes up without anyone having proof

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 04:45 PM

Maybe I'll just capture the video then...

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 05:14 PM

LOL. I call on all nations to catch the evildoers. Now, watch this drive.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 3, 2004, 05:19 PM

I'll watch this comedy if it's on HBO in some months. No way would I spend a dime on it.

I did manage to see the trailer btw - and it looks pretty unimpressive so far. Wow there's a shocker. Just a bunch of selective newsclips, many of which I've already seen before, pasted together in such a manner as to fit into Moore's perverted vision of the world.

2 thumbs down on this one. People should enter their homemade, amateur iMovie's into Cannes next year. Judging by the quality of this years winner, I'd say the iMovie entries should stand a good shot of walking away with the top prize.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
I'll watch this comedy if it's on HBO in some months. No way would I spend a dime on it.

I did manage to see the trailer btw - and it looks pretty unimpressive so far. Wow there's a shocker. Just a bunch of selective newsclips, many of which I've already seen before, pasted together in such a manner as to fit into Moore's perverted vision of the world.

2 thumbs down on this one. People should enter their homemade, amateur iMovie's into Cannes next year. Judging by the quality of this years winner, I'd say the iMovie entries should stand a good shot of walking away with the top prize.
I would love to make a documentary where I clip out only the bits I want the public to know. I wonder how crazy you could make people sound or what conspiracy theory you could come to with goo footage?

"aliens are flooding in to this country every year"
from
"illegal aliens are flooding in to this country every year"

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 05:33 PM

Just want to get a post in this thread long before Demonhood finally decides that everyone (else) who posts here is an idiot.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

sixz
Jun 3, 2004, 05:35 PM

Farenheit 9/11 - This american winner of the
Palme D'Or - Is not an anti-american film and
as patriots you should probably see it.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2004, 05:57 PM

I'm really interested in seeing that.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 06:01 PM

Isn't it easier on the servers if the trailer is streamed?

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I have a nice connection and can't seem to get it. I have no idea why they are trying to stream a trailer?
I have a 3.0mbit connection and quicktime does not stream. WMV stream is good though... Film looks awesome! A must for our nation.

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 06:33 PM

i've never understood when it became a bad thing in our democracy to voice concern with the government? The ability to critize and if needed, demote, our elected leaders is *the* fundamental right in a democrazy.
I don't agree with Michael Moore, but does he not have the same right as everyone else to critisize and voice concern?
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by sbjordal:
i've never understood when it became a bad thing in our democracy to voice concern with the government? The ability to critize and if needed, demote, our elected leaders is *the* fundamental right in a democrazy.
I don't agree with Michael Moore, but does he not have the same right as everyone else to critisize and voice concern?
Yup. I think some people take exception to his films being categorized as documentaries, which I can understand.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 06:44 PM

What horrible quality. You would think he could provide a better trailer.
That being said, I laughed a few times, and probably will now rent it when it goes straight to video...

Uh....release date June 25th. What's wrong? Anti-Semitic The Passion was worth ranting about for weeks but a film which asks questions of politicians is no good coz the Prez is, or says he is, an end of times Christian believer? Great believer in democracy you are! Congrats!
There are many young rightwing members on these forums proud to support Bush no matter what. If Bush is re-elected I'd like to see the look on these member's faces when they are drafted. Now watch this drive.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Will McGoonigle:
Uh....release date June 25th. What's wrong? Anti-Semitic The Passion was worth ranting about for weeks but a film which asks questions of politicians is no good coz the Prez is, or says he is, an end of times Christian believer? Great believer in democracy you are! Congrats!
I think it's great that a clown like him can present his views through a film. Only in America. That is what is so great about our great country, I agree.

What does that have to do with "The Passion" ? Religious freedom? Where did I say, he should not be able to make and show it? Show me.

I celebrate the freedoms I enjoy, and thanks! I accept the compliment, backhanded though it was. Like someone said before, anyone can take clips of somebody and make them out to be whatever they wish. Look at "Reality TV'". They do it all the time.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 07:07 PM

I think it's great that a clown like him can present his views through a film. Only in America. That is what is so great about our great country, I agree.
And yet the film has a bevy of international distribution deals, while there were no US distributors until recently.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
And yet the film has a bevy of international distribution deals, while there were no US distributors until recently.
Who cares? What does that mean? They have good taste? The freedom of speech doesn't give you the freedom of distribution. That isn't in the constitution.

If people want to see it, they will find it. Just like any movie.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 07:16 PM

Who cares? What does that mean? They have good taste? The freedom of speech doesn't give you the freedom of distribution. That isn't in the constitution.

If people want to see it, they will find it. Just like any movie.
No, but it's telling. I don't know if one could call it censorship, but it's close.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 07:19 PM

No, but it's telling. I don't know if one could call it censorship, but it's close.
That's funny. Maybe he should have distributed himself with his own money. He has enough to do it. I guess his money is too good for his message! Unlike Mel Gibson.

I'll rent it, and then give my oppinion of it.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 07:19 PM

What does that have to do with "The Passion" ? Religious freedom? Where did I say, he should not be able to make and show it? Show me.

I celebrate the freedoms I enjoy, and thanks! I accept the compliment, backhanded though it was. Like someone said before, anyone can take clips of somebody and make them out to be whatever they wish. Look at "Reality TV'". They do it all the time.

Your attitude towards any open minded and democratic questioning of politicians and war is very telling. I'm glad people like you are only a fanatic minority otherwise we'd be living in executionville, some sort of modern Salem.
There are many young rightwing members on these forums proud to support Bush no matter what. If Bush is re-elected I'd like to see the look on these member's faces when they are drafted. Now watch this drive.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 07:23 PM

Your attitude towards any open minded and democratic questioning of politicians and war is very telling. I'm glad people like you are only a fanatic minority otherwise we'd be living in executionville, some sort of modern Salem.
I said I was in support of free speech, whatever the message. Where do you read anything like that? Are you maybe ... projecting because you don't like my oppinions?

I think you would be the one who'd root for such things for conservatives.

It's a good thing your oppinion is in the minority. No distributor in the USA for poor-poor Michael Moore. Boo-hoo. He should put up his own cash. Wait, it's all about money to him, and nothing moore.

Edit: You people always make it personal when your message doesn't hold water.
( Last edited by ghost_flash; Jun 3, 2004 at 07:30 PM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 07:24 PM

That's funny. Maybe he should have distributed himself with his own money. He has enough to do it. I guess his money is too good for his message! Unlike Mel Gibson.

I'll rent it, and then give my oppinion of it.
As I recall, Gibson spent his own money to produce it, not to distribute it. It takes more than money to distribute a movie.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 07:34 PM

I said I was in support of free speech, whatever the message.
I doubt it. Given the right political climate I bet you're one of those who would turn against freedom of speech very quickly. You're just a phoney who would prefer a cosey existence in a world where everyone believed the same thing you do.

And your brainless blindlessness still hasn't caught on to the June 25th release date mentioned already. You're always right, you got religion, everyone else is wrong and if they show you otherwise you skip over the details. YAWN! Such a Christ bot.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 07:35 PM

As I recall, Gibson spent his own money to produce it, not to distribute it. It takes more than money to distribute a movie.
Why bring up 'Passion' in the first place? I didn't do it. The topic is Moore's film. I'd like to see proof of censorship. Who would do that? I smell a conspiracy theory...

I support his right to make the movie. It's his oppinions. He doesn't however have any right to make a load of money. That is up to people who see it or rent it.

I'll ante up for a rental.

PS: About the "Passion". Nobody would make the movie as he wanted to, so he funded it himself. That is, he believed in the project and his vision of what he wanted to make more than what it would cost. I think that is admirable. Why can't Moore do that? He has the money. He had it made with other people's money. I never heard anyone yelling censorship when Mel Gibson was making his movie.

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 07:36 PM

Only in America.
because America has a monopoly on freedom of speech

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 07:40 PM

I doubt it. Given the right political climate I bet you're one of those who would turn against freedom of speech very quickly. You're just a phoney who would prefer a cosey existence in a world where everyone believed the same thing you do.

And your brainless blindlessness still hasn't caught on to the June 25th release date mentioned already. You're always right, you got religion, everyone else is wrong and if they show you otherwise you skip over the details. YAWN! Such a Christ bot.
No need to make it personal. Why go there?
I make strong points *for* Moore's rights, and then am personally attacked.

So, you dragged religion in this thread. Hooray for you.

I saw your release date. I'm still going to rent it. Thanks.

-

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 07:47 PM

Why bring up 'Passion' in the first place? I didn't do it. The topic is Moore's film. I'd like to see proof of censorship. Who would do that? I smell a conspiracy theory...
I didn't bring it up either, I believe Will did.

PS: About the "Passion". Nobody would make the movie as he wanted to, so he funded it himself. That is, he believed in the project and his vision of what he wanted to make more than what it would cost. I think that is admirable. Why can't Moore do that? He has the money. He had it made with other people's money. I never heard anyone yelling censorship when Mel Gibson was making his movie.
As I said, there's a difference between funding the production and funding the distribution. Mel funded the production of Passion, I don't know how Moore's film was funded.

9/11 is obviously a low budget film that's going to make a pretty nice chunk of change. What reason is there to not want to distribute it? I guess all those entertainment companies just don't like money? There was no overt act of censorship, but it reeks of some backroom maneuvering, and the de facto effect is the same.

Anyway, the point is moot now. But it troubled me that a movie about American politics was going to be distributed to theatres all over the world, except here. (And as Moore notes on his web site, it's being distributed here by a Canadian company)

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 07:53 PM

Maybe I'll just capture the video then...
good. then you can catch him in a lie, and sue him.

which, by the way, NOONE HAS DONE YET. go sue him.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 07:55 PM

I didn't bring it up either, I believe Will did.

As I said, there's a difference between funding the production and funding the distribution. Mel funded the production of Passion, I don't know how Moore's film was funded.

9/11 is obviously a low budget film that's going to make a pretty nice chunk of change. What reason is there to not want to distribute it? I guess all those entertainment companies just don't like money? There was no overt act of censorship, but it reeks of some backroom maneuvering, and the de facto effect is the same.

Anyway, the point is moot now. But it troubled me that a movie about American politics was going to be distributed to theatres all over the world, except here. (And as Moore notes on his web site, it's being distributed here by a Canadian company)
I never said, *you* brought it up. I said, Why? as non-personal plural.
I also did say, people will see it. Maybe companies don't wish to touch his stuff based on his past movies? They are filled with lies and manipulations. "Backroom maneuvering"? Like what? By who? Why?

Mel's company distributed as well.

Moore's movie was funded by a company owned by Disney. Miramax?
They never agreed to distribute the movie. Just make it.

He can't put his money up. He is only interested in making money. His message isn't quite important enough for him to do so and have control. He also knew it would be distributed in Europe, the only people who will buy into his garbage.

Again. I'll rent it. For a laugh.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
good. then you can catch him in a lie, and sue him.

which, by the way, NOONE HAS DONE YET. go sue him.
Wow, all this interest in what I think? Interesting. Why would I sue him? I don't care what he says. He was caught numerous times in lines and manipulation. There are testimony to that fact. He's too hot for Hollywood to touch.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 07:59 PM

Wow, all this interest in what I think? Interesting. Why would I sue him? I don't care what he says. He was caught numerous times in lines and manipulation. There are testimony to that fact. He's too hot for Hollywood to touch.
oh cmon now. dont flatter yourself big boy.

sure. he was caught numerous times, but who has sued him for peddling these lies? someone needs to.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 08:01 PM

I never said, *you* brought it up. I said, Why? as non-personal plural.
I also did say, people will see it. Maybe companies don't wish to touch his stuff based on his past movies? They are filled with lies and manipulations. "Backroom maneuvering"? Like what? By who? Why?
Entertainment companies care about accuracy? You know who distributes 'The Day After Tomorrow' ?

I don't know by who, and I don't know if there was any explicit agreement. It's just speculation. It strikes me as fishy, that's all.
( Last edited by itai195; Jun 3, 2004 at 08:06 PM. )

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 08:04 PM

... "Backroom maneuvering"? Like what? By who? Why?
Speculation, but here it goes: it is said that Disney CEO refused to distribute the film because he was afraid of losing some tax breaks Disney Co. receives in Florida (being that the President's brother is the governor of that state).

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
oh cmon now. dont flatter yourself big boy.

sure. he was caught numerous times, but who has sued him for peddling these lies? someone needs to.
Look at the thread. I'm not basing this on anything but what I am seeing.

Someone needs to sue him? For lying in a movie? Ha-ha. Funny. He'll just call it satire.
Again, he doesn't deserve that much attention. His 15 minutes are almost up, he knows it, and is going to grab as much cash as he can.

pfft.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by soul searching:
Speculation, but here it goes: it is said that Disney CEO refused to distribute the film because he was afraid of losing some tax breaks Disney Co. receives in Florida (being that the President's brother is the governor of that state).
That was the lie he was caught in! lol. Let me find the link. He admitted to it too.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 08:12 PM

Look at the thread. I'm not basing this on anything but what I am seeing.

Someone needs to sue him? For lying in a movie? Ha-ha. Funny. He'll just call it satire.
Again, he doesn't deserve that much attention. His 15 minutes are almost up, he knows it, and is going to grab as much cash as he can.

pfft.
by his own admission on his website, he has a small army of lawyers who fact check for him. someone should catch him in a lie and sue him. or better yet - beat him at his own game and do a "michael moore documentary" where someone smashes him on all his bogus points. or a michael moore v bill oreilly in a death match debate. people would pay good money to see that.

he hardly has "15 minutes of fame". hes been a relatively public and popular figure in his own weird little line of work for quite a while.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 08:13 PM

He was caught numerous times in lines and manipulation.
Please provide links that *prove* he literally lied to the audience. Subjective arguments are not accepted.

Good luck.

Michael Moore's manipulation (if there is any) is nowhere near as bad as Bush/Rumsfied/Cheney's manipulation of Iraq, IMO.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Please provide links that *prove* he literally lied to the audience. Subjective arguments are not accepted.

Good luck.

Michael Moore's manipulation (if there is any) is nowhere near as bad as Bush/Rumsfied/Cheney's manipulation of Iraq, IMO.
Exactly. Amazing that ghostflash, who lives a lie, talks about the lies of others all the time and can't prove jack.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 08:19 PM

That was the lie he was caught in! lol. Let me find the link. He admitted to it too.
He was? Everything I've read regarding him vs. Disney points to Disney not wanting to distribute the film because the tax breaks.

Having said that, I would like to read whatever it is that you'll link to saying otherwise.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 08:21 PM

Exactly. Amazing that ghostflash, who lives a lie, talks about the lies of others all the time and can't prove jack.
What does this have anything to do with me? Why all the personal attacks?

I did some quick searching and this may help those that like Moore, as well as reveal a bit more for those who dislike him.

" The Walt Disney Company is blocking its Miramax division from distributing a new documentary by Michael Moore that harshly criticizes President Bush, executives at both Disney and Miramax said Tuesday.

The film, "Fahrenheit 911," links Mr. Bush and prominent Saudis � including the family of Osama bin Laden � and criticizes Mr. Bush's actions before and after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Disney, which bought Miramax more than a decade ago, has a contractual agreement with the Miramax principals, Bob and Harvey Weinstein, allowing it to prevent the company from distributing films under certain circumstances, like an excessive budget or an NC-17 rating.

Executives at Miramax, who became principal investors in Mr. Moore's project last spring, do not believe that this is one of those cases, people involved in the production of the film said. If a compromise is not reached, these people said, the matter could go to mediation, though neither side is said to want to travel that route.

In a statement, Matthew Hiltzik, a spokesman for Miramax, said: "We're discussing the issue with Disney. We're looking at all of our options and look forward to resolving this amicably."

But Disney executives indicated that they would not budge from their position forbidding Miramax to be the distributor of the film in North America. Overseas rights have been sold to a number of companies, executives said.

"We advised both the agent and Miramax in May of 2003 that the film would not be distributed by Miramax," said Zenia Mucha, a company spokeswoman, referring to Mr. Moore's agent. "That decision stands."

Disney came under heavy criticism from conservatives last May after the disclosure that Miramax had agreed to finance the film when Icon Productions, Mel Gibson's company, backed out.

Mr. Moore's agent, Ari Emanuel, said Michael D. Eisner, Disney's chief executive, asked him last spring to pull out of the deal with Miramax. Mr. Emanuel said Mr. Eisner expressed particular concern that it would endanger tax breaks Disney receives for its theme park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where Mr. Bush's brother, Jeb, is governor.

"Michael Eisner asked me not to sell this movie to Harvey Weinstein; that doesn't mean I listened to him," Mr. Emanuel said. "He definitely indicated there were tax incentives he was getting for the Disney corporation and that's why he didn't want me to sell it to Miramax. He didn't want a Disney company involved."

Disney executives deny that accusation, though they said their displeasure over the deal was made clear to Miramax and Mr. Emanuel.

A senior Disney executive elaborated that the company had the right to quash Miramax's distribution of films if it deemed their distribution to be against the interests of the company. The executive said Mr. Moore's film is deemed to be against Disney's interests not because of the company's business dealings with the government but because Disney caters to families of all political stripes and believes Mr. Moore's film, which does not have a release date, could alienate many.

"It's not in the interest of any major corporation to be dragged into a highly charged partisan political battle," this executive said.

Miramax is free to seek another distributor in North America, but such a deal would force it to share profits and be a blow to Harvey Weinstein, a big donor to Democrats.

Mr. Moore, who will present the film at the Cannes film festival this month, criticized Disney's decision in an interview on Tuesday, saying, "At some point the question has to be asked, `Should this be happening in a free and open society where the monied interests essentially call the shots regarding the information that the public is allowed to see?' "

Mr. Moore's films, like "Roger and Me" and "Bowling for Columbine," are often a political lightning rod, as Mr. Moore sets out to skewer what he says are the misguided priorities of conservatives and big business. They have also often performed well at the box office. His most recent movie, "Bowling for Columbine," took in about $22 million in North America for United Artists. His books, like "Stupid White Men," a jeremiad against the Bush administration that has sold more than a million copies, have also been lucrative.

Mr. Moore does not disagree that "Fahrenheit 911" is highly charged, but he took issue with the description of it as partisan. "If this is partisan in any way it is partisan on the side of the poor and working people in this country who provide fodder for this war machine," he said.

Mr. Moore said the film describes financial connections between the Bush family and its associates and prominent Saudi Arabian families that go back three decades. He said it closely explores the government's role in the evacuation of relatives of Mr. bin Laden from the United States immediately after the 2001 attacks. The film includes comments from American soldiers on the ground in Iraq expressing disillusionment with the war, he said.

Mr. Moore once planned to produce the film with Mr. Gibson's company, but "the project wasn't right for Icon," said Alan Nierob, an Icon spokesman, adding that the decision had nothing to do with politics. (and)

Miramax stepped in immediately. The company had distributed Mr. Moore's 1997 film, "The Big One." In return for providing most of the new film's $6 million budget, Miramax was positioned to distribute it.

While Disney's objections were made clear early on, one executive said the Miramax leadership hoped it would be able to prevail upon Disney to sign off on distribution, which would ideally happen this summer, before the election and when political interest is high.
"

- New York Times

I think it is terrible to profit from 9/11, and think MM is a scumbag with only monitary and political objectives.

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 08:23 PM

Friday, May 7th, 2004
When You Wish Upon A Star� by Michael Moore
Dear Friends,

Thank you for all the incredible letters of support as my film crew and I once again slog our way through the corporate media madhouse. Does it ever end? Are we ever going to get control of our "free press" again? Can you wish upon a star?

The Disney spin machine has been working overtime dealing with this censorship debacle of theirs. I don't think they thought they would ever be outed. After all, they know that all of us are supposed to adhere to the unwritten Hollywood Code: Never tell the public how business is done here, never let them have a peek at the man behind the curtain.

Disney has been hoping for nearly a year that they could keep this thing quiet. As I promised on Wednesday, here are the details behind my sordid adventure with the Magic Kingdom:

In April of 2003, I signed a deal with Miramax, a division of the Walt Disney Co., to finance and distribute my next movie, Fahrenheit 9/11. (The original financier had backed out; I will tell that story at a later date.) In my contract it is stated that Miramax will distribute my film in the U.S. through Disney's distribution arm, Buena Vista Distribution. It also gives Miramax the rights to distribute and sell the movie around the world.

A month later, after shooting started, Michael Eisner insisted on meeting with my agent, Ari Emanuel. Eisner was furious that Miramax signed this deal with me. According to Mr. Emanuel, Eisner said he would never let my film be distributed through Disney even though Mr. Eisner had not seen any footage or even read the outline of the film. Eisner told my agent that he did not want to anger Jeb Bush, the governor of Florida. The movie, he believed, would complicate an already complicated situation with current and future Disney projects in Florida, and that many millions of dollars of tax breaks and incentives were at stake.

But Michael Eisner did not call Miramax and tell them to stop my film. Not only that, for the next year, SIX MILLION dollars of DISNEY money continued to flow into the production of making my movie. Miramax assured me that there were no distribution problems with my film.

But then, a few weeks ago when Fahrenheit 9/11 was selected to be in the Cannes Film Festival, Disney sent a low-level production executive to New York to watch the film (to this day, Michael Eisner has not seen the film). This exec was enthusiastic throughout the viewing. He laughed, he cried and at the end he thanked us. "This film is explosive," he exclaimed, and we took that as a positive sign. But �explosive� for these guys is only a good word when it comes to blowing up things in movies. OUR kind of �explosive� is what they want to run from as fast as they can.

Miramax did their best to convince Disney to go ahead as planned with our film. Disney contractually can only stop Miramax from releasing a film if it has received an NC-17 rating (ours will be rated PG-13 or R).

According to yesterday's New York Times, the issue of whether to release Fahrenheit 9/11 was discussed at Disney's board meeting last week. It was decided that Disney should not distribute our movie.

Earlier this week we got the final, official call: Disney will not put out Fahrenheit 9/11. When the story broke in the New York Times, Disney, instead of telling the truth, turned into Pinocchio.

Here are my favorite nuggets that have come out of the mouths of their spinmeisters (roughly quoted):

"Michael Moore has known for a year that we will not distribute this movie, so this is not news." Yes, that is what I thought, too, except Disney kept sending us all that money to make the movie. Miramax said there was no problem. I got the idea that everything was fine.

"It is not in the best interests of our company to distribute a partisan political film that may offend some of our customers." Hmmm. Disney doesn't distribute work that has partisan politics? Disney distributes and syndicates the Sean Hannity radio show every day? I get to listen to Rush Limbaugh every day on Disney-owned WABC. I also seem to remember that Disney distributed a very partisan political movie during a Congressional election year, 1998�a film called The Big One� by, um� ME!

"Fahrenheit 9/11 is not the Disney brand; we put out family oriented films." So true. That's why the #1 Disney film in theaters right now is a film called, KILL BILL, VOL. 2. This excellent Miramax film, along with other classics like Pulp Fiction, have all been distributed by Disney. That's why Miramax exists -- to provide an ALTERNATIVE to the usual Disney fare. And, unless they were NC-17, Disney has distributed them.

"Mr. Moore is doing this as a publicity stunt." Michael Eisner reportedly said this the other day while he was at a publicity stunt cutting the ribbon for the new "Tower of Terror" ride (what a pleasant name considering what the country has gone through recently) at Disney's California Adventure Park. Let me tell you something: NO filmmaker wants to go through this kind of controversy. It does NOT sell tickets (I can cite many examples of movies who have had to change distributors at the last minute and all have failed). I made this movie so people could see it as soon as possible. This is a huge and unwanted distraction. I want people discussing the issues raised in my film, not some inside Hollywood fracas surrounding who is going to ship the prints to the theaters. Plus, I think it is fairly safe to say that Fahrenheit 9/11 has a good chance of doing just fine, considering that my last movie set a box office record and the subject matter (Bush, the War on Terror, the War in Iraq) is at the forefront of most people's minds.

So what will happen to my movie? I still don't know. What I do know is that I will make sure all of you see it by hook or crook. We are Americans. There are a lot of screwed up things about us right now, but one thing that most of us have in common is that we don't like someone telling us we can't see something. We despise censors, and the worst censors are those who would dare to limit thoughts and ideas and silence dissent. THAT is un-American. If I have to travel across the country and show it in city parks (or, as one person offered yesterday, to show it on the side of his house for the neighborhood to see), that is what I will do.

More to come, stay tuned.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 08:24 PM

Why is it up to me to prove anything? I'm just offering my oppinions, and what other's have said. If you wish to live with blinders, that isn't my problem.

The movie should be amusing, just like Michael Moore, is clownlike.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 08:27 PM

Probably the closest he's come to a lie is when he called Bush a deserter. As you know, I have no love lost for Bush, but that whole tirade was uncalled for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules