Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Suggest a Digital Camera Forum

Suggest a Digital Camera Forum
davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 05:39 PM

Can anybody suggest a good digital camera forum? Something like Macnn, but for digicams. Thanks in advance!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 05:41 PM

www.dpreview.com has a huge forum.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by davidflas:
Can anybody suggest a good digital camera forum? Something like Macnn, but for digicams. Thanks in advance!
You mean filled with tons of nerds who flame each-other, and are generally ignorant that others may see the world differently than they do? I don't know if the world could handle another MacNN

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
You mean filled with tons of nerds who flame each-other, and are generally ignorant that others may see the world differently than they do?
http://forums.dpreview.com

talisker
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 08:31 PM

Agreed. DPreview is excellent, for news, reviews and forums. (There's even a Mac software forum).

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 10:01 PM

Always buy Canon.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Always buy Canon.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 12:53 AM

Always buy Canon.
or Nikon, Fuji, or Pentax

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
or Nikon, Fuji, or Pentax
I always tell people Canon. It's safe as the usually keep their crap cameras to a minimum. Nikon makes great higher end cameras, but at the low end, they were sucking with the 2100 and 3100... Fuji uses proprietary memory xD which I hate, but some of their cameras are amazing. Pentax is good.

If you don't know what to buy, buy Canon. If you know what you want to buy, buy canon

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 01:32 AM

If you don't know what to buy, buy Canon. If you know what you want to buy, buy canon
LOL, I do usually just recommend Canon since they're a safe bet at almost every level. I just don't like their cameras as much the last couple years, and I'm disappointed with reviews of the S60. I did get someone to buy an A75 just the other day.

I agree that Nikon is crap at the very low end, Fuji I grudgingly recommend despite the memory card format just because they're making great cameras these days, and Pentax is turning into what Canon was four years ago.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 06:14 AM

The reason I asked for a digicam forum is that I'm planning to buy a Nikon D70. I wanted to learn more about different types of Compact Flash cards, as I have been using a Sony F717 so I only know about memory stick. I was also wanting to keep up with new trends.. etc. I checked out the dpreview forums, there appears to be a lot of good info there, but its not formatted like MacNN. I find the macnn type forums to be much more user friendly from an interface perspective. I agree that Nikon's low end stuff is unimpressive as well, but I'm not in the market for an entry level cam. Plus I have several nikon lenses already. Thanks for the suggestion.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 06:46 AM

Most professionals use compact flash. The industry keeps saying "compact flash is dead" but it keeps on ticking. The memory sizes keep getting larger and larger and the speeds are keeping up.

Needless to say, if you go compact flash, you will not be unhappy. The ONLY issue I can find is that you MAY find compact flash to be a bit slower should you make routine burst photos (5-7 in a row) and you don't have a large buffer in the camera.

You can find 512 cards for as little as $60 so if you are getting serious and are going to be taking raw photos, go for a 1 or 2 GB card (if you can afford it)

I would shy away from a type 2 compact flash card unless you are in a studio environment for most of the shots as they tend to suck the batteries like no other.

What are you trying to do with your camera? (beyond take photos obviously)

You may be interested knowing that there has recently been a hack released to make a digital rebel from Canon almost like a D10. I'll fill you in later.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 06:52 AM

Most professionals use compact flash. The industry keeps saying "compact flash is dead" but it keeps on ticking. The memory sizes keep getting larger and larger and the speeds are keeping up.

Needless to say, if you go compact flash, you will not be unhappy. The ONLY issue I can find is that you MAY find compact flash to be a bit slower should you make routine burst photos (5-7 in a row) and you don't have a large buffer in the camera.

You can find 512 cards for as little as $60 so if you are getting serious and are going to be taking raw photos, go for a 1 or 2 GB card (if you can afford it)

I would shy away from a type 2 compact flash card unless you are in a studio environment for most of the shots as they tend to suck the batteries like no other.

What are you trying to do with your camera? (beyond take photos obviously)

You may be interested knowing that there has recently been a hack released to make a digital rebel from Canon almost like a D10. I'll fill you in later.

I intend to use the camera mostly for landscapes and macro work. I am planning to do a lot of shooting in RAW mode, so I was looking at 1GB CF cards. I was looking at Sandisk Ultra II cards. I don't do a lot of fast action photography (sports, etc...) but I don't want to wait forever while the camera is writing to the card in raw mode. I am not looking at a Canon due to the fact that I have a significant investment in Nikon glass. Thanks for the response, though

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 07:55 AM

I intend to use the camera mostly for landscapes and macro work. I am planning to do a lot of shooting in RAW mode, so I was looking at 1GB CF cards. I was looking at Sandisk Ultra II cards. I don't do a lot of fast action photography (sports, etc...) but I don't want to wait forever while the camera is writing to the card in raw mode. I am not looking at a Canon due to the fact that I have a significant investment in Nikon glass. Thanks for the response, though
Yah, if you have the glass, obviously keep going with Nikon. It's unfortunate that they are slightly falling behind in the digital realm. Canon took a hit a while back when they were trying to force digital, but it has really paid off. If you grab the Ultra II, you really can't ask for much more, but you will have to wait in between shots.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 08:55 AM

What about SONY? I like my SONY...but I might want a Canon..I'm so confused.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
What about SONY? I like my SONY...but I might want a Canon..I'm so confused.
Oh, I forgot my other rule.

NEVER BUY SONY.

While the 717 and 828 are interesting cameras (and you can get great images because they are were some of the very first digital cameras (non LSR) which could obtain a depth of field, I would NEVER buy one or recommend one for any of my friends.

Why?

The memory card is the first thing... (even Sony balled on the memory stick... ok, they didn't bail on it, but rather offered both memory stick and CF I and CF II [in trying to bring over the Nikon/Canon users]). I would consider the 828, but then again, I would probably look harder at the Nikon and Canon offerings at that price range.

I also feel like Sony is too diversified. Where Canon and Nikon are camera companies.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 09:18 AM

Sony also has a much more restrictive return policy should something brake. With Canon, it's much more liberal and complete.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 04:17 PM

The reason I asked for a digicam forum is that I'm planning to buy a Nikon D70.
I take it you've read the review of it on DPreview? D70 review
They love it - think it's better than the Canon 300D / Rebel.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 04:23 PM

Sony also has a much more restrictive return policy should something brake. With Canon, it's much more liberal and complete.
I'd say Sony is, hands down, one of the worst companies on earth for customer service and technical support. That, combined with their weasely avoidance of ever paying to repair any defect in their products is enough to convince me to never buy anything from them again. (well, maybe a PS3... )

dav
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 04:35 PM

Oh, I forgot my other rule.

NEVER BUY SONY.

i have a no buy sony policy (if possible) based on a bad experience with a cassette deck years ago.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 05:41 PM

My Fujifilm Finepix 2600 is SUPA nice, that said if I buy a new Camera within the next two years it'll probably be Cannon. I'm looking forward to getting a six megapixel camera for 400 bucks

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 05:42 PM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 05:51 PM

I buy Olympus, and have for years � I've never been disappointed with any of their cameras (I'm currently using a C-756 and a D-540).

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 05:56 PM

Looks like a solid camera. I would just make sure the cons on the list aren't thing you are going to be using it for all the time.

Nikon at the $1000 range is where Canon and Nikon go head and head.

Will any lenses work with this Nikon, or only specific Digital lenses...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
I buy Olympus, and have for years � I've never been disappointed with any of their cameras (I'm currently using a C-756 and a D-540).

Maury
Their cameras are OK, but I neither like xD or smart media.

Big $$$ for a not so big card. I like CF because I can flip flop from a low end Canon to a low end Nikon to a higher end camera...

O also like the size of the Canons. The S410 and S500 are perfect for a camera that can take some knocks and keep on ticking, the PowerShot cameras are plastic, but higher end parts and less expensive, and they go up from there.

I guess I just like Canon and Nikon.

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2004, 07:11 PM

Posted by Mitchell_pgh

Where can a 512 be found for $60.00

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 12:09 AM

I have choosen the Nikon D70 as my next camera. I bought the Sandisk Ultra II 1GB CF card from Dell of all places. They had the best price and free shipping. However the card is back ordered everywhere, so who knows when I'll actually get it...

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 12:55 AM

Congrats, let us know how you like it and post photos

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2004, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by mollusk:
Posted by Mitchell_pgh

Where can a 512 be found for $60.00
It was just on Apple's hot deals site through Amazon (now they are selling 128 for $12).

You won't find the $60 consistently, only through special deals.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2004, 01:18 AM

That being said, go to http://www.pricewatch.com/ and you can buy one for $74 now.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 01:38 AM

crabsandbeer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2004, 09:22 AM

Mitchell,

I have a Digital Rebel and have heard about the hack that you mentioned. Do you know if it's safe? Does it void the warranty?

Thanks.
Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

R.W.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2004, 09:28 AM

I always tell people Canon. It's safe as the usually keep their crap cameras to a minimum. Nikon makes great higher end cameras, but at the low end, they were sucking with the 2100 and 3100... Fuji uses proprietary memory xD which I hate, but some of their cameras are amazing. Pentax is good.

xD is not proprietary. It's unique to their cameras for the moment, but plenty of third parties make the cards. xD should be in more cameras soon.

Sony Memory Stick on the other hand, with its different colors for different uses and restrictions on what those colors can be used for, and only lexar making the card besides Sony (IIRC) -- THAT'S proprietary.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 09:40 AM

Sony memory sticks are made by several manufacturers I/O Magic, Sandisk, Lexar, and of course Sony. I have seen these brands personally. I agree that its proprietary though as only Sony and some Konica/Minolta cameras use it. Memory stick is expensive too .

By the way, does anybody know an reputible online retailer that has the Nikon D70 in stock? I am looking to buy one in the next week or two and all the usual places are saying out of stock.. I want one with a USA warranty etc..

BTW, I have a couple of nice cameras for sale in the Marketplace right now...

JC Denton
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2004, 06:28 PM

By the way, does anybody know an reputible online retailer that has the Nikon D70 in stock? I am looking to buy one in the next week or two and all the usual places are saying out of stock.. I want one with a USA warranty etc..
Well, Adorama seems to have it in stock, but just the body and not the lens kit. I prefer B&H Photo, but that's just because I had an exceptionally good experience with them and just a routine purchase from Adorama.

If I had the cash, I'd get a D70 too, but I'm having too much fun with my Panasonic FZ1. (I know, different ends of the digital photography spectrum, but I'll like to work my way up to the DSLRs of the world.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules