Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Continuous Crashing iMac G5

Continuous Crashing iMac G5
trishy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2007, 12:44 AM

I found this site via a Google, but I am hoping that someone can help me. I have a iMac G5, Power Mac 8, the system that has the HD in the monitor. Starting last night, my machine has been crashing and just completely shutting down. I ran TechTool Deluxe on it earlier today, which it crashed in the middle of, but then let me run it a full cycle and no problems were found. Anyone familiar with this issue on this model?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and hopefully it will stay on long enough to see a response.

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2007, 03:39 AM

First thing to check - does your iMac G5 fall within this repair programme from Apple:

Apple - Support - iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues

If not, have you done anything yesterday that might be the source of the issue. E.g. did you add any new hardware (e.g. RAM, a USB hub, printer, etc) or install any new software drivers? If you added RAM, try re-seating it in the slots. If it continues crashing try removing the new RAM.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 22, 2007, 10:49 AM

Sounds like bad RAM or overheating. Run the Apple Hardware Test disk that came with the machine first, and then let run memtest on it overnight to test the RAM.

trishy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2007, 11:32 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I haven't installed anything new, except a printer over a week ago. I have disconnected the printer and it still crashed once. I thought it may be overheating, so I have tilted the screen at a bit more of an angle. I ran the Apple Hardware Test disk and it didn't find anything, so I will try the other suggestion too.

Thank you so much for your time!

Forum Links
Forum Rules