Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Holy crap! iMac G5 fan scare

Holy crap! iMac G5 fan scare
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2007, 10:06 PM

So today I woke up my iMac G5 Rev A from sleep. Suddenly the fans start to go up and get louder incrementally. They went up in speed once every 2 or 3 seconds until they were louder then I've ever heard them, even louder than FireWire Target Disc Mode. Then they turned completely off. Now knowing that the G5 runs reallllly hot, I shut it down immediatly. Then it did the exact same thing. So I reset the PMU it's all back to normal, but what the junk happened? It was really weird and I was a little scared at first. Nothing like this has happened to me before.

imacguy309
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2007, 11:04 PM

This is strange... Two weeks ago my brother whom has a G5 lets just say he's the golden child, I get the G3 iMac but I still luv mine, neways....His started doing the same thing; his was doing it right from start up so he took it to the apple store in flat irons crossing and they did some tweeking and it's good as new. They said it wasn't really a problem but it's something to watch with the G5's...

iMacguy309

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 03:34 AM

Strange.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2007, 11:29 PM

It was telling you to buy an extended warranty if less than a year old. Otherwise, it was telling you you should have bought one!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

P
Apr 12, 2007, 09:59 AM

Could be dust in the intake vents that was dislocated when you moved the machine around to reset it - best thing is to turn it off, remove the back and blow it clean. You can also wipe it off, but DON'T use water and be very careful if you want to vacuum because it can short out components due to static electricity,

californiadreamin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2007, 05:01 PM

I had a weird thing happen today. My mac booted in single-user mode. Didn't even know it could do this. Anyway, after I restarted out of this, the fans were going non-stop and loud. I couldn't figure it out so I started searching. I went to Apple's page and found out that if you start in single-user mode the fans will run at full speed until you exit that mode. To enter single user mode hit command-s during boot up. When you get to a place where you can type, type in "exit" and it will take you out of single-user mode and then boot normally. No more fan issue!

Forum Links
Forum Rules