Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Your startup disk is almost full.?

Your startup disk is almost full.?
jedda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2009, 07:07 AM

i have a mac book 2.0g 160 gb hd. i keep getting this message, Your startup disk is almost full. when i checked hd info it says 148.73gb capacity 114.37gb available. omni disksweeper has biggest file at 16.8gb and total on drive at 33.8gb i am new to mac (2 weeks) and this has me stumped thanks in advance for any help

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2009, 08:02 AM

Just asking to make sure: did you partition your hard drive?

It's something Windows users love to do when they switch to Mac, and it's completely pointless for all but *very* specific needs.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2009, 08:46 AM

What app(s) are you using when this happens?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2009, 03:14 PM

Run Disk Utility, select the internal drive and Repair Permissions before and after every installation of every kind. Probably will not help here as a fix but it cannot hurt.

Make sure that the OS is current via Software Update.

IMO every Mac owner should own and regularly use Disk Warrior. Make sure you buy the right version for your OS.

Good luck!

-Allen Wicks

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Run Disk Utility, select the internal drive and Repair Permissions before and after every installation of every kind. Probably will not help here as a fix but it cannot hurt.
Not this again.

1. The OP is saying that his disk is getting reported as being full. Permissions are not going to affect the amount of free space on the drive at all.

2. Running Repair Permissions after, and especially before, every installation is a waste of time which accomplishes nothing, and is thus bad advice.

IMO every Mac owner should own and regularly use Disk Warrior. Make sure you buy the right version for your OS.
Owning DiskWarrior is definitely a good idea, but running it regularly isn't. It's a tool to use when you have a problem, but running it when nothing's wrong isn't terribly productive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jedda  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2009, 01:50 AM

thanks guys after reading your posts i started looking at the apps it appears to be caused by utorrent. looking into DiskWarrior, thanks again for your help love this mac and trying to give up my dirty windows habits lol

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2009, 04:42 AM

Fwiw, alternatives to uTorrent are Transmission and Vuze.

Forum Links
Forum Rules