Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > IDE Cable and does it matter?

IDE Cable and does it matter?
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2003, 10:54 PM

OK... I am modding my original iMac to use the new 120GB drive I got and to run the 40 GB i Had outside. So far so good... but the cabling is a mess and a PAIN....(the new round cabling is to thick to put in there).... Can I use the long end (the computer end to the slave) in reverse? LIke use the 'master' end for the computer connection and use the slave for the regular H (120 internal) and run the cable out the side and plug the 40 into the original 'computer' part... any help... I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as the HD's are set for slave/master (which they are)...

Anyway, please let me know!

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Crimson
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2003, 04:06 AM

simple answer: yes... the cable in itself is just cable, no gewhixxbang electri parts, but wire and some connectors... That's what I did with my rev. D... Get a revision A I/O plate, the cable head come nicely outta the mezz-hole there is, and splice the cable, 10*4 wires, it'll bend better.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 09:59 AM

Cool... so just use it like I want to... ALSO, so you also ran two hard disks? Did you split the power of the small 4-pin coming off the motherboard or what? That's what I am doing, but I am a little concerned that it may pull too much power and fry it... (since it runs the power through the conductors on the MB instead of straight from the power supply,...

Anyway, thanks!

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Crimson
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2003, 01:51 PM

I used it with a CD-RW, and drew power from an old LaCie case... and yes, 2 HD's is possible.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 02:00 PM

cool... so the small 4 pin from the motherboard CAN handle both HDs...

Now, all I need to get is the Harmoni and use the external (internal) 40gb for my ipod!

Crimson
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2003, 07:34 PM

it can, but I'm not sure how far it can give... I used external PS...

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2003, 12:44 PM

Where did you get an external PS?

Originally posted by Crimson:
it can, but I'm not sure how far it can give... I used external PS...

Crimson
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2003, 03:28 PM

I used to have a LaCie USB-CDRW which used a Mitsumi mechanism... the USB-IDE-bridge got toasted in LaCie's own firmware-update, and the tech's were unhelpful at best... then I sold the mitsumi and my friend sold me a HP that was better suited for that LaCie-box, also we drew a IDE-cable outside iMac to attach it to mac... no faulty burns ever with that...

Forum Links
Forum Rules