Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The Mac Gods have condmened me it seems!

The Mac Gods have condmened me it seems!
markjs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2007, 07:21 PM

I have desperately been trying to install OS9 on my 333/G3 iMac, and at first I tried to use a set of disks for a G4 tower, but I have since obtained a copy made for the iMac. Trouble is, that everytime I install the POS (either version), it tells me after reboot that "Finder" could not start because the library "InterfaceLib--SetEmpdyRgn" is missing. The only options it gives me are to restart with extensions off (which does work), or use a rescue cd (which also works but I see no way to use it and can't find which extension to turn off), and the trouble with all this is, that I am only trying to get this up to OS 9.2.2 so that I can upgrade the firmware and run Panther or somesuch. I am completely at wits end and about to huck this "Crapple iCrap" into the trash.....I want to lear to use an Apple and perhaps love it but it seems nobody can help me and there is no alternative! PLEASE!!! someone has to know what the trouble is and how to fix it......Thanks in advance to anyone at all who will even attempt to help me!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2007, 07:29 PM

Try and get a retail OS 9 install disc, one that isn't made for a specific machine. Then do an erase and install. It's probably not worth the effort on that iMac though.

markjs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2007, 08:21 PM

I have no idea where I'd get those, and I can't afford anymore cash outlay....."F" it....

I give up......anyone want a free iMac? Otherwise it and all my mac related stuff is going curbside on trash day where it seems to belong.....I guess I am destined to be a PC only guy....

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2007, 08:37 PM

Yes, F it and F yourself you whiney POS. You deserve a PC.

markjs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2007, 08:53 PM

At least PCs work....you could offer help, I have worked on this 2 weeks spoken to many "experts" and nobody has even touched the problem, I rarely need any help on a PC, so you tell me, is there a point?

markjs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2007, 08:53 PM

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by MichiganRich View Post
Yes, F it and F yourself you whiney POS. You deserve a PC.
Dude, there's no need for that kind of crap here. If you can't help the guy, don't be a jerk just because he's rightfully frustrated.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2007, 09:08 PM

Very mature. Mark, you should be able to find an OS 9 cd for cheap or free.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2007, 10:44 PM

This guy has posted the same sob story with the same anti-Mac tone in a couple places and has gotten much info that he has chosen not to listen to. He came here spouting attitude and I spouted some back. I'm sorry, but anyone who has that much trouble installing ANY Mac OS either has broken hardware, bad software, or is an idiot.

Furthermore, it is my right to be a jerk on the internet when I feel like it. He gets to post inflammatory crap, I get to call him out on it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2007, 06:01 AM

MichiganRich:

I detect absolutely no "anti-Mac tone" in that post.

He wants to run Panther.

He is frustrated with trying to install Classic.

Until you actually show us "inflammatory crap", you get to shut up and stop being an asshole.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2007, 06:03 AM

markjs -can't you just live with booting in safe mode (shift key down) and installing the necessary firmware upgrades there (you'd have to download them on another machine, I guess).

ibook_steve
Jun 8, 2007, 11:19 AM

Not sure why you are even bothering with OS 9. Install a version of OS X (maybe Panther as suggested). If you need to use classic for anything, worry about installing a retail OS 9 later. You can probably find OS 9 disks on eBay or someplace else.

Steve

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2007, 12:05 PM

Apparently, you missed the part about upgrading the firmware.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MichiganRich View Post
This guy has posted the same sob story with the same anti-Mac tone in a couple places and has gotten much info that he has chosen not to listen to. He came here spouting attitude and I spouted some back. I'm sorry, but anyone who has that much trouble installing ANY Mac OS either has broken hardware, bad software, or is an idiot.

Furthermore, it is my right to be a jerk on the internet when I feel like it. He gets to post inflammatory crap, I get to call him out on it.
I don't think you read the forum rules or have heard of internet etiquette. MacNN is not a place to be an ass, it's a place to get help and most of the time recieve it. Reported.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2007, 04:41 PM

My advice: Don't judge a platform by outdated and crippled second hand hardware.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Parky
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by markjs View Post
I have desperately been trying to install OS9 on my 333/G3 iMac, and at first I tried to use a set of disks for a G4 tower, but I have since obtained a copy made for the iMac. Trouble is, that everytime I install the POS (either version), it tells me after reboot that "Finder" could not start because the library "InterfaceLib--SetEmpdyRgn" is missing. The only options it gives me are to restart with extensions off (which does work), or use a rescue cd (which also works but I see no way to use it and can't find which extension to turn off), and the trouble with all this is, that I am only trying to get this up to OS 9.2.2 so that I can upgrade the firmware and run Panther or somesuch. I am completely at wits end and about to huck this "Crapple iCrap" into the trash.....I want to lear to use an Apple and perhaps love it but it seems nobody can help me and there is no alternative! PLEASE!!! someone has to know what the trouble is and how to fix it......Thanks in advance to anyone at all who will even attempt to help me!
The only way to install OS 9 is either using the discs that came with that iMac (not for any other iMac) or using a retail (i.e. full version) of OS 9.

The reason for this is simple, if you use an install disc from any other machine then it could have files missing that are required for your specific iMac, hence your problems.

Have a look on eBay for either a set of OS 9 retail discs or better than that a copy of OS X (Panther version) which will give you a much better Mac experience anyway.

There is no point in coming here using the language you have been doing (e.g. POS, "F") and then expecting people to be helpful. Be respectful and people will help you.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

JavaJane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 02:03 PM

That error relates to setting a dvd region using a shared library. Sounds to me like the system he installed is looking for hardware region for a built in dvd rom that doesnt exist.
I suggest you go to Operator Headgap on the web, they deal in old commecrial os cds and parts. Make sure the imac has 256mb of REAL ram. Anything less and Panther wont run worth a you know what.
This imac will take up to 512 mb of pc 100 so-dimms. It was the only trayloading imac that did. Its good you are trying to update the firmware BEFORE you install X, as not doing so in some imacs can turn them into paperweights.

Just my 2 cents

Forum Links
Forum Rules