Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > application for graphical representation of data ???

application for graphical representation of data ???
rkv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 07:30 AM

I need to be able to produce a graphic for inclusion in Keynote/PowerPoint presentations and Word/Notes documents which looks like this sample.

I have tried Numbers and Excel and they don't seem to be able to get me there. Different icons for data points, shadowing, labels on points, a regression line, and shaded areas all with significant control. Any thoughts as to what may have been used to create this type of graphical representation of data.

I suspect this may have been hand drawn as opposed to being generated from data. If so, what application?

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 12:19 PM

There are a number of charting applications out there, but none of the good ones are free:

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=Aabel

That is probably the best three list (that I am aware of).

rkv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by larkost View Post
Thanks. I am quite happy to pay for quality software.

The url you have provided does not seem to get me where you may have intended. Could you provide a working link or the names of the products?

I should have mentioned that I have also tried Deltagraph. But it does not offer graphics which are as polished as the image which is my target for visual characteristics. I suspect that my sample image may not actually be rendered by a data visualization tool but rather some drawing package. But even then I would like to find a package for which I could produce an equivalent image.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2008, 03:45 PM

Here's what he meant to link to, I think:
http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...starget=google
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

rkv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 05:19 PM

Thanks.

Chartsmith looks like it will get the closest to the sample graphic. Any other suggestions, including tools which will not generate the image directly from data would be appreciated. Also, even if it was not Mac based, I might consider using under Parallels. I need to do this a few times a year, but want publishing quality graphics.

Forum Links
Forum Rules